I'm considering swapping the upper receiver on my Colt LE 6920

This is a discussion on I'm considering swapping the upper receiver on my Colt LE 6920 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been debating with myself whether or not to swap the upper on my Colt LE6920. This is the 2nd AR in my collection and ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Rockymonster
  • 2 Post By peckman28

Thread: I'm considering swapping the upper receiver on my Colt LE 6920

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I've been debating with myself whether or not to swap the upper on my Colt LE6920. This is the 2nd AR in my collection and been reading up on how the 16" barrel is better suited for the mid-length gas system. I been considering making this sort of my tinkering AR because my SP6920 I keep in mostly stock configuration for simplicity and reliability purposes. If I do decide to do this, I'd like to keep it as lightweight as possible but I want it to look and feel closer to my S&W M&P15-22 which has the free float quad rail and lacks the fixed front sight gas block the Colt 6920 has. I've also given thought to just buying a stripped lower and building a mid-length AR from the ground up and keeping both my Colts in their current configuration but that would fill up the space I have in my gun safe.

I've also given thought of buying BCM's 14.5" M4 Carbine upper with the permanently attached flash hider just to make it closer to a true Colt M4 Carbine but at the same time I may want to swap out the muzzle device at some point.

Your advice is appreciated!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

If it were me, I'd keep the Colts complete and acquire/build new....and consider a new safe at some point! Not the least expensive way to go.....YMMV.
    StormRhydr and WrongRecroom like this.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

I would go with the option of just building up a stripped lower, out of those you listed. It's unlikely you'll improve on the Colt with a different upper, unless you have some specific purpose in mind and want to specialize just for that.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Oooooo the humanity......buy or build another gun don't do it!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Just change the Gas block simple to do low cost. And keep your upper you can then do anything you want to it.

Thanks for the feedback! I decided I'll at least buy a stripped lower and build an entirely new rifle and really select the parts carefully. I just blew part of my funds on a new Aimpoint Comp M4S from my local gun shop for my LE6920 because I like the crazy battery life on the Aimpoints and its the only one that accepts the common AA battery. I'll be buying a new gun safe first!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Ground up. Been there, done that twice. Never an off the rack rifle for me.

Take your time, pick and choose the parts you want, shop around.

I highly recommend the Vltor A5 receiver extension. Works great with my Centurion middy barrel, and makes for a soft shooter. Downside is that it is a bit heavier than a standard RE and buffer (if you are counting ounces).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I decided I'll at least buy a stripped lower and build an entirely new rifle and really select the parts carefully. I just blew part of my funds on a new Aimpoint Comp M4S from my local gun shop for my LE6920 because I like the crazy battery life on the Aimpoints and its the only one that accepts the common AA battery. I'll be buying a new gun safe first!
    He fell in head first no hope. It never ends gun ,sights safes more guns, more sights more safes. addition to house to hold guns.
    Enjoy and the AIM point was well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    He fell in head first no hope. It never ends gun ,sights safes more guns, more sights more safes. addition to house to hold guns.
    Enjoy and the AIM point was well worth it.
    I've been a serious firearms addict for going on 7 years now. There are just too many guns I want and never enough space to store them all! All the money I have spent on guns and ammo, I could have paid into other expenses, but oh well!

Firearm & Motorcycle Needs are a Disease, you are not responsible and there is no cure.
    I have 2 Colt ARs the way I like, but my cruel wife will not let me get a 3rd gun safe.................................. yet.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Repent! then put the money into more training with what you have.

Sponsored Links