MK-1919 AKDAL, revisited..........

This is a discussion on MK-1919 AKDAL, revisited.......... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK guys, originally I had posted about the Akdal 12 gauge shotgun I ordered awhile back as a project for a home defense/competition shotgun. I ...

Thread: MK-1919 AKDAL, revisited..........

MK-1919 AKDAL, revisited..........

OK guys, originally I had posted about the Akdal 12 gauge shotgun I ordered awhile back as a project for a home defense/competition shotgun. I bought it primarily because the idea of forking out a thousand bucks to a gunsmith to make a SAIGA 12 run right was not appealing to me at all. I figured with the gun's Remington-style action it would be reliable right ?

Think again.

Below is an email I have sent to RAAC outlining the problems with the gun that just wont go away. If anything, since the first day I shot it, they have become more frequent, with a variety of factory-produced ammunition not just the wally world loads everybody shoots at the matches. I am giving them 7 days from today to answer me with some kind of resolution. If I hear nothing or they wont do anything then the gun gets sold at the next gun show, and all of my future comments about the gun will not be kind.

Here is the email:

Okey Dokey here we go;

Sometime in the last year I had called and complained about the reliable functioning (and lack thereof) of my MK-1919 ser#XXXXXXX. I think I spoke with someone named Chuck? Anyhow, after Chuck sent me a reduced power mainspring and an updated firing pin spring, I have been to the range off and on for the past few months putting about 500 rounds through the gun, hoping that the gun would complete the "break-in" period I was told about. I can say after my range trip today, I have finally given up. This gun will not fire a full 5 (or 10) round magazine with ANY kind of factory-produced ammunition that will not cause multiple feed failures. The 10 round magazines drop from the gun with every shot fired. I have traced this problem to a poorly fitted magazine release, that does not hold properly. This entire gun suffers from an overall lack of build quality IMHO, and the primary reason I purchased it was to shy away from the Saiga AK-based designs because of the requirement to spend a minimum of 700$ to have a gunsmith go through the weapon to make it reliable enough for competition use. Mind you, I said competition, not combat or self-defense. There is simply no way in heaven nor hell I would take this gun into ANY kind of battle. It would fail epically, and potentially cost me or my loved ones their lives, and I will not entertain that possibility, period. I will rely on my Remington 1100 because it goes bang when I pull the trigger, and it feeds everything I shove through it. And nobody had to work on the gun. Ever. So, you can respond to my comments, by emailing me back or calling me at XXX-XXX-XXXX to try and make this right. If this were a car, I would be declaring the lemon law right now, but I cannot do that with a gun; what I can do is post up what I have sent you on defensivecarry.com, ar15.com and a few other firearms related boards I belong to. If I don't get some kind of swift feedback and resolution, then the people who read this will act accordingly, and either Remington or Bennelli will get their business from now on and your company will be known as the one who produces finicky, fickle weapons that require and extra thousand dollars or so to make them right for gun games, not serious self-defense. I look forward to hearing from you,

XXXXX X. XXXXXXX

So, we shall see what happens. I will on my part keep everyone updated........

Happy New year and good fortune to all,

Edr.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

2. Remove Ads

TRX
    I hate to hear that. I've been looking at the Akdal pictures on the web and wondered what they were like.

Saw one of those at the NRA Convention in May (?). I thought it was really cool until I picked it up & handled it. Felt like a flimsy plastic toy.

The 10-round mag stuck out so far as to make it totally ungainly for any kind of practical use. For 5 rounds, I'll stick with my Mossy, thank-you.

I lost interest immediately.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I had originally intended it for use on the 3-gun arena because of the obvious advantage one would gain with a magazine-fed shotgun and not having to feed shells one at a time at the end of a field course, but the gun just would not run reliably. I ended up getting an offer from a friend who is willing to tinker with it to make it run right, so I am just going to grab a verse max or a benneli and leave it at that........ BTW, absolutely no response from RAAC.........

So if you are thinking about it, just watch what happens when top flight competitors with their customized models experience jams, and imagine that is you in a real fight........ Then the answer becomes simple......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Ok, to date there's been no answer from RAAC Period............ I have given up and sold the gun to somebody else. I went over to Gander Mountain and turned the proceeds into a Remington Versa-Max tactical........ LOVE IT !!!!!!

I will post a range test thread tomorrow describing the results........

Links