Question about changing from 7" to 13.2" free floating handguard on AR

This is a discussion on Question about changing from 7" to 13.2" free floating handguard on AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Moderators, I'm not sure this is in the proper location. Anyhow, I have a 7" handguard on my Stag 2T. I'm thinking of swapping for ...

Thread: Question about changing from 7" to 13.2" free floating handguard on AR

Moderators, I'm not sure this is in the proper location. Anyhow, I have a 7" handguard on my Stag 2T. I'm thinking of swapping for a 13" my question is this. The gas block on my 7 " is at the end of the rail. When I go to install the 13" where is the gas block? I would imagine the tube stays the same since I would think lengthening it would cause cycling issues. I haven't done much smithing on a rifle other than buttstocks, pistol grips etc. could someone "nicely" explain to me what happens in a situation like this? Thanks
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

What kind of gas block are you currently running? If it is a low enough profile one, you may be able to find a handguard that will be able to fit over it.

If you are going to move the gas block and extend the tube, then you would need a new barrel, since the gas block has to line up with the ports in the barrel that the gasses enter the gas system through. It sounds like you currently are running a carbine length gas system, by the way.

Lengthening the gas system, with a proper barrel may or may not cause cycling issues, depending on how close the gas block is to the muzzle. A Mid-length gas system can work fine on a 14.5" or 16" barrel, but a rifle length system will not.

EDIT: BTW, I moved this to the defensive rifle area.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

The gas block is in the front post sight (standard metal M16 style triangle). I had a feeling switching from carbine length to rifle length would be more involved.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

Thanks atctimmy. I'll check them out.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

You have some simpler options too, like the centurion arms carbine cutout which uses the standard barrel nut and allows the fixed front sight block to be exposed through the top rail. Or, you could grind down the front sight, which is one of the best low profile gas blocks you can get anyway, and use a centurion arms or Troy rail that uses the standard barrel nut.

Or, or, you can send it out and have it done for under $100 by a number of places. Either way, I'd go with a cut down front sight over a low profile gas block since you already have one with the taper pins in place.

edit - you can't lengthen a gas tube. The gas block sits over the gas port drilled into the barrel. There's nothing you can do about the location. But, you can use a low profile has block and use whatever hand guard length you'd like. This won't affect the rifles function in any way.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Do you know which 13" rail you want to go with?

If you have a standard front sight base, I concur with John that your best options are a cut out rail, or cutting down the front sight base to serve as a gas block.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I've actually just mounted an eotech G33 with 3x magnifier. So I plan on mounting offset iron sights. I think what I most likely will do is buy a new low profile gas block and choose a rail with the cut out. My main reason for the swap out is to place my offset front sight further down while also picking up some extra rail space.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedinPA View Post
    I've actually just mounted an eotech G33 with 3x magnifier. So I plan on mounting offset iron sights. I think what I most likely will do is buy a new low profile gas block and choose a rail with the cut out. My main reason for the swap out is to place my offset front sight further down while also picking up some extra rail space.
    Can I ask why you are planning on using an optic set-up that is optimal at close ranges, as well as offset sights?

I generally think offset sights are gimmicky to begin with, but, my understanding is that people generally have them on rifles with higher powered scopes, to allow a quick transition for close up shots. If you want a set up back ups, I would have a fold down rear that fits underneath the 3x. I do agree that it is good to have a back up, but with an EO-tech and a FSB, you still have a rudimentary sight picture if your sight dies that is acceptable at close in range (say under 50 yards for defensive use).

The main reason people would have a cut-out rail is if they left the FSB in place, and wanted rails that extended around it. If you are planning on using offsets, I would get a solid top rail instead of the cut out style.

There is what is known as a mock-dissipator set up as well, which is one of my favorite styles of 16" rifle. A mock dissy has usually a mid-length gas system (carbine could work too), and then a traditional front sight post at the end of the barrel, allowing for the use of rifle length handguards, with a fixed fron sight base.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I wasn't sure if a solid top rail would fit over the gas block. I was thinking I would still need the cut out for the gas block. But if I can get a solid rail that clears the gas block than that would be perfect. A lot of this is new to me. That's why I'm trying to pick y'all's brains. I definitely don't want to keep that big front post site. And offset irons I figured were the more practical way to go that's all.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

If you cut the front sight down or use a low profile gas block, you don't need a cutout rail. If you're running an EoTech or Aimpoint, you can use fixed sights or folding, but there's zero need to offset them. That's only if you're running magnified optics.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedinPA View Post
    I wasn't sure if a solid top rail would fit over the gas block. I was thinking I would still need the cut out for the gas block. But if I can get a solid rail that clears the gas block than that would be perfect. A lot of this is new to me. That's why I'm trying to pick y'all's brains. I definitely don't want to keep that big front post site. And offset irons I figured were the more practical way to go that's all.
    As Jon says, with a low-pro or cut down front sight, you should be able to find handguards of your liking that will work with it.

If you don't want to keep the front sight, the simplest thing is probably some dremel work. Cut off the triangle, but be sure the leave the bit that is part of the gas system.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Sponsored Links