A Jon Consiglio question about the Tavor

This is a discussion on A Jon Consiglio question about the Tavor within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I tried to PM Jon but his inbox is full. So Jon, what are your thoughts on the Tavor? Played with one much?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: A Jon Consiglio question about the Tavor

A Jon Consiglio question about the Tavor

I tried to PM Jon but his inbox is full.

So Jon, what are your thoughts on the Tavor? Played with one much?

2. Remove Ads

He'll be around soon, I'm sure of it!
    jonconsiglio likes this.

Sorry about that, I'll clear out my inbox in a few minutes. I'll post back shortly... This is not my area of experience, so I'll be going on opinion here. I'd like to hear too what others that own them think...
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I love mine...a little heavier than most AR's but the cog is much farther back. This puts more weight on the shoulder and basically none on the non-firing hand.
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Sorry about that, I'll clear out my inbox in a few minutes. I'll post back shortly... This is not my area of experience, so I'll be going on opinion here. I'd like to hear too what others that own them think...
    I have handled (but unfortunately not shot yet), several.

I think that within a limited role, it has a lot of potential. I am not the biggest fan of bull-pup designs, but this is one of the better feeling ones I have handled. The controls seem to be set up in the right places.

In dry firing a couple of them, the trigger is pretty horrendous. Even comparing it to my stock GI spec AR triggers, it is quite heavy. I don't think Tavor's will be winning any accuracy competitions anytime soon because of that.

I think they are a nifty little gun, but would find them a lot more nifty in the $1200 or so dollar range, and with a better trigger.
    Aceoky, american23 and QKShooter like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I have handled (but unfortunately not shot yet), several.

I think that within a limited role, it has a lot of potential. I am not the biggest fan of bull-pup designs, but this is one of the better feeling ones I have handled. The controls seem to be set up in the right places.

In dry firing a couple of them, the trigger is pretty horrendous. Even comparing it to my stock GI spec AR triggers, it is quite heavy. I don't think Tavor's will be winning any accuracy competitions anytime soon because of that.

I think they are a nifty little gun, but would find them a lot more nifty in the $1200 or so dollar range, and with a better trigger.
    Your trigger complaint is not uncommon. There is an extra spring in the trigger pack that IWI installs to ensure reset in the harshest and dirtiest environments. One can remove this extra spring and the trigger is significantly better. The military arms channel has a video of this actually.
    Tavor Trigger Job - YouTube
    QKShooter likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Is that a bubble badge on your rifle?
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Tim has some very good info on it....

They make trigger upgrade kits . But they are easy rifles to take down and clean from what I have seen but very but heavy so no drum mags .

And if you live in CA or other states like that they suck as they are too short to be legal

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Is that a bubble badge on your rifle?
    As a matter of fact, it is. I have also added a Texas Flag rail cover. I'm currently running the Eotech as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I've lusted after a good bull pup for a while. This video is the reason I went with the Tavor. I previously wanted an FS2000, but the favor has a metal fire control group, takes magpul pmags (the fs 2000 doesn't) and last round hold open. I did a lot of trading and bartering of various firearms to afford one.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Looks like a neat gun and a good way to have an SBR without a $200 tax stamp. A bit expensive for me, though.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

This review is better than anything I can do. His experience at the time of this post is limited, but more than mine. I wouldn't give up my ARs for one, but if I had a lot of extra money or was a bullpup fan, I'd probably have one. From what I've gathered, this is the best of the bullpups.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....y-Tavor-Review
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links