Pivot mount for the whole scope

This is a discussion on Pivot mount for the whole scope within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone, I saw recently (although unfortunately, I don't remember where...) a picture of a rifle with what looked like a 1-4 scope, but rolled ...

Thread: Pivot mount for the whole scope

Pivot mount for the whole scope

Hi everyone, I saw recently (although unfortunately, I don't remember where...) a picture of a rifle with what looked like a 1-4 scope, but rolled off to the side (just like they do with those EOTech 3X magnifiers, only the whole scope was swiveled, not just a magnifier) and the backup irons were up. I thought this was kind of cool and was wondering if you all know who makes a mount like that. I have been searching like crazy and all I can find are the mounts for those EOTech magnifiers. Would you just like buy two of those and put them one in front of the other or what?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

A quick search using my google-fu for "flip scope mount" brought up a bunch of 30mm rings that can flip to the side. I don't see any one piece mounts that are meant to do that, but two rings would work.

My main question though, would be why?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I used a swivel mount for a magnifier in front of an eotech on the rifle I used in the military. It worked well for a magnifier, which didn't need to be zeroed. I wouldn't trust it for a scope, you might as well just pull the whole thing off as you'll have to recheck your zero every time you move it. Not to mention it could move a little bit by itself. There's a small amount of play in the mount that would be a big deal with a riflescope.

If you're just looking to be able to use irons, there are good solid mounts that have a channel, which will allow you to do it. I wouldn't mount a scope on a swivel.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not being sarcastic either, I'm new to rifles and was wondering about it, so I appreciate the input.

I thought about the zeroing problem, but I also read on a forum that this dude didn't have any zeroing problems when flipping his scope out and back in. The slight movement is a good point though. Even really slight shifting can make a big difference from far away.

My answer to "why" was I was just thinking about possibly building a new rifle for "tactical" applications. SHTF/"WROL" style, mainly just for fun, and hoping and praying I won't ever have to use it besides for training and range use. I've already decided on rifle, optics, other setup, etc., but my main reason for this was a sort of a "what if my optic dies and I don't have any replacement batteries on me" type situation where my BUIS would be the way to go. I had just about made up my mind on a QD mount when I saw that picture and thought "huh... interesting."

Thanks again for the opinions and hope to hear more.

Links