HK-91 Clone: Scope or Iron???

This is a discussion on HK-91 Clone: Scope or Iron??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi Guys, I own a J.L.D. PTR-91, it's a clone of the HK-91. I'm mostly a pistol guy, but I picked up this rifle from ...

Thread: HK-91 Clone: Scope or Iron???

HK-91 Clone: Scope or Iron???

Hi Guys,

I own a J.L.D. PTR-91, it's a clone of the HK-91. I'm mostly a pistol guy, but I picked up this rifle from my local gun shop after reading good reviews about it. While I have it as defensive/SHTF weapon, its main role right now is provide me with some fun target shooting. My club range is 200yards long (actually considered pretty good for this part of the country). While I've owned the rifle for close to a year, I am only now finding some time to play with it.

I'm debating adding a scope - is this a waste for just 200yds? Are their clear advantages to the stock iron sights? What would you do? Please note: it is illegal to hunt with a rifle in MA - so this rifle's only action is at the range. I'm basically looking to hit a dinner plate at 200yds (standing).

2. Remove Ads

In all honesty, that rifle should, once zeroed, hit a dinner plate at 200m as long as you can hold it on target - as it came from JLD.

I'm getting 1.25" groups with SA surplus ammo out of my V51 SBR with a 6x42 on it - it still stays at 3" with the irons if I do my part.

Full-size 91s have no problems generally doing what my mini-monsters do.

That said, if you go the scope route, expect a certain amount of pain. You're stuck mounting using a HK claw (get a real one) and a STANAG scope (or ugly, unpleasant adaptors) or a low-profile mount (and if you go that route, accept no imitations and get the B&T).

For what you're describing, though, I'd be starting at 50-100m and working my skills up from there with the rifle as is before spending another dime.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp View Post
    For what you're describing, though, I'd be starting at 50-100m and working my skills up from there with the rifle as is before spending another dime.
    Thanks for the advice, I'm going to follow it.

There are always pros and cons of scoping many of these semi-auto rifles. I prefer my FAL with optics, but there are always liabilities. Namely Murphy's law. Many people use to think optics were a bad idea on rifles, but now we see ACOGs and EOTECHs on 75% of the rifles in Iraq and Afghanistan.

If you aren't reloading or worried about CQC, skip the optics.

Senior Moderator
    Heres the thing.

That rifle ought to be able to hit a dinner plate with no problems, provded that you can SEE it over the sights. That mostly depends on how you set the sights up to shoot.

Using optics allows you to see better. Even the zero powered optics with the dots allows your eye to line everything up much easier. With a little magnification on a scope, your sight is further improved.

Using a scope has lots of advantages. In our case, we can and do used scopes to deer hunt. Since we have a 3 point rule here, that scope allows you to check out a deer that you might otherwise let walk because you arent sure if its legal or not. A deer in the brush is hard to see. Lookng for horns against a background of sticks is just as hard.

Since you are just interested in shooting paper, the scope is not actually needed, but you'll never be satisfied using just the iron sights.Eventually you'll want to see just how that rifle can group, and with the iron sights you are just guessing, whereas the scope allows to to hold the same with each shot.

The bottom line is :
    It all depends on your eyes and how well you can see.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Heres the thing.
    Since you are just interested in shooting paper, the scope is not actually needed, but you'll never be satisfied using just the iron sights.Eventually you'll want to see just how that rifle can group, and with the iron sights you are just guessing, whereas the scope allows to to hold the same with each shot.

I dis agree. I have shot service match with irons out to 600 yrds. Good iron sights can group very well. Knowing how to use em and how to put bullets in a small group is another issue though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Well Rocky...
    I've shot most of my target rifles and my .50 BMG with iron sights out to 600 on steel plates.
    I know that it can be done, but why use iron sights when you can make it easy on yourself and use a little magnification ?

Sure you can get some good groups, but they wont compare with using a crosshair which is a much finer hold.

Plus...your eyeballs will thank you for it...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Heres the thing.

That rifle ought to be able to hit a dinner plate with no problems, provded that you can SEE it over the sights. That mostly depends on how you set the sights up to shoot.

Using optics allows you to see better. Even the zero powered optics with the dots allows your eye to line everything up much easier. With a little magnification on a scope, your sight is further improved.

Using a scope has lots of advantages. In our case, we can and do used scopes to deer hunt. Since we have a 3 point rule here, that scope allows you to check out a deer that you might otherwise let walk because you arent sure if its legal or not. A deer in the brush is hard to see. Lookng for horns against a background of sticks is just as hard.

The bottom line is :
    It all depends on your eyes and how well you can see.
    I agree. I purchased a used G3 clone about 18 months ago. I got time to shoot it about 2 months ago. The irons were on with no tweeking. Now knowing that I'm confident with the irons now I'm eager to strap a scope on it.

Links