Zavasta Serbian AK?

Zavasta Serbian AK?

This is a discussion on Zavasta Serbian AK? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have any experience with the Zavasta? My LGS has one for $450, and I have been thinking about maybe getting another AK sometime in ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 3 Post By NightOwl76
  • 1 Post By tdave
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By firestarplus
  • 2 Post By gunny79

Thread: Zavasta Serbian AK?

Zavasta Serbian AK?

Anyone have any experience with the Zavasta? My LGS has one for $450, and I have been thinking about maybe getting another AK sometime in the near future.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    I don't know about Serbian AKs but I know the Yugos were OK, but not great. I think they were made in the Zastava factory. IIRC they weren't always interchangeable parts wise with other AKs.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

The AK Buyer's Guide - A Beginner's Guide to the AK Platform (ask all new AK questions in here) - AR15.COM

The Serbian ones are like the rest of the AKS out there either they are thumb hole/hunting stock 10 round only mag guns or converted to doubled stack mags and either they work or dont work. The m-70 paps are the converted yuoko ones. As ATC said as there reciver is different not all stocks will fit and they are not chrome line so if you shoot corrosives ammo a bit more cleaning is needed .. By my understanding the N-PAPS are better as they were made for double stack mags the O-Paps had a single stack bolt and had problems .They are also pig heavy but well built on RPK reciverers . Gun Review: Century Arms Zastava N-PAP AK-47 | The Truth About Guns .

So depending on what he is selling it could be a good buy but if it the single stack gun it might take a bit of work to converted it .

But right now the n-paps are some of the best thing going I hear for AKS. But if you want to run a bunch of stocks or a slidfire or other common Ak parts do check though as the yugo guns and some of the china com guns may not work with all parts as ATC said ..

But for a base AK to go shoot with I do vote for the n-pap. Esp if you check them out in person first to make sure everthing is good . And I should add they have a built in bold hold open if you used yugo mags (But you can add that to any AK out there). Also note that if you wanted a bayo lug etc you will not find one and have to add one .

Frankly at this point most AKS out there are one and the same as unless they are pre 89 guns or pre china ban guns . Most are a either parts kits or converted sporting guns so it all depedings on how good the conversion was. But if you get one that works it will normal last about forever ..

VIP Member
    Just got a Zastava M85PV PAP a couple of weeks ago. Seems to be pretty well built & so far I'm pretty impressed with it.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Just got a Zastava M85PV PAP a couple of weeks ago. Seems to be pretty well built & so far I'm pretty impressed with it.
    The problme there is since it is a pistol it does not not need 922r rules .

The pistols are great . It is the conversion with the rifles that can be tricky

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    The problem there is since it is a pistol it does not not need 922r rules .

The pistols are great . It is the conversion with the rifles that can be tricky
    That's just another example of why the ATF & uneducated politicians ("shoulder thingy that goes up….") should not be making gun laws. It makes ZERO sense that a firearm isn't legal if it has more than 10 non compliant parts…..just change the foreign made parts with US made parts & it is then legal…….same gun, still functions the same…………..THAT'S STUPID! in order for me to turn the M85 into a SBR, I'd have to SWAP several internal & external parts (like swapping the pistol grip for one made here) to make it 922r compliant & PAY THE $200 TAX!….& I'd still have a firearm that functions EXACTLY AS IT DOES TODAY!

(Then if I added a shoelace, I'd have to register the string as a machine gun!)…………God help us!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    That's just another example of why the ATF & uneducated politicians ("shoulder thingy that goes up….") should not be making gun laws. It makes ZERO sense that a firearm isn't legal if it has more than 10 non compliant parts…..just change the foreign made parts with US made parts & it is then legal…….same gun, still functions the same…………..THAT'S STUPID! in order for me to turn the M85 into a SBR, I'd have to SWAP several internal & external parts (like swapping the pistol grip for one made here) to make it 922r compliant & PAY THE $200 TAX!….& I'd still have a firearm that functions EXACTLY AS IT DOES TODAY!

(Then if I added a shoelace, I'd have to register the string as a machine gun!)…………God help us!
    Tell that to my Glocks with their serrated triggers. You know, the ones that'd be illegal to import if the triggers were smooth. Illegal. To. Import. Because smooth triggers kill babies, apparently.
    atctimmy, WrongRecroom and Alex_C like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl76 View Post
    Tell that to my Glocks with their serrated triggers. You know, the ones that'd be illegal to import if the triggers were smooth. Illegal. To. Import. Because smooth triggers kill babies, apparently.
    Or why I can not buy a 380 glock 17 ( because it was one point off from being imported and why the 26 is but the 380 version is not , the caliber ) . Or why you can not import rifles with night sigts or such .

There is more idiocy in government than I thought, and I thought there was a lot!
    Badey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    There is more idiocy in government than I thought, and I thought there was a lot!
    I still laught about the mess that was casued with the first imported h&ks and FAL boy that was a mess

Timely thread. I was just looking at some Zavasta Yugo AK rifle/pistols that a site was having a sale on, but I don't know anything about their quality.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Timely thread. I was just looking at some Zavasta Yugo AK rifle/pistols that a site was having a sale on, but I don't know anything about their quality.

Buy the handgun version at least they are great and fun . And if you need a rail get a Midwest industry one and a manticore nightbrake very nice ...

The handgun version has no USA made parts it is a pure AK ( well minuses the full auto part) it is very close to a krinkov pattern gun.

But the rifles are nice too but just be awre to check them out in person if you can and no that not all parts will fit and be clean very well if you shoot corrosive ammo as with out a chrome bore you will have a lot more problems ... But for a basic beater ak they are hard to beat and pig heavy but not bayo lug on some of them ( for some reason I like to fix bayo sometimes .. )

And get the version with a double stack bolt and do get a bunch of yugo bolt hold open mags for it ..
    gunny79 likes this.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Your gonna get what you pay for and that goes double for AK's. Zastava's are decent, though I would check to see if there's matching numbers on the receiver and barrel connection. If they match, buy, if not, then look elsewhere.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

I have one I bought about a year ago. It is very well built, I would even say above average. The only things to worry about are the stocks/receivers because they are not run of the mill AK so you have to shop a little harder if you want to change buttstocks and also the thumbhole stock that Zastava offers has too high of a cheek weld and it will smack your cheek bone HARD. Thats really the only reason to change stocks on a Zastava in my opinion. Also make sure that you get the later ones with the side mount for optics NOT the early ones with a picatinny rails mounted on top of the receiver cover. Mine shoots fantastic, much better than I was expecting!!
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Real Yugoslavian AK rifles come with RPK 1.5mm thick receivers instead of standard 1mm thick AK47 receiver. They have dark bore, not chrome lined barrels. Well made, tough rifles but not very pretty to look at.
    Also, Yugo magazines hold the bolt open after last round.
    WrongRecroom and Badey like this.

Links