DPMS Flattop for $618 at Walmart?

This is a discussion on DPMS Flattop for $618 at Walmart? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw a DPMS flattop M4 style carbine at Walmart today for $618. The clerk said it's been there for 6 weeks. Comes with a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: DPMS Flattop for $618 at Walmart?

DPMS Flattop for $618 at Walmart?

I saw a DPMS flattop M4 style carbine at Walmart today for $618. The clerk said it's been there for 6 weeks. Comes with a 10 rounder per new law. I am thinking about throwing it into the safe for my son in a few years (he is now 8). How is that price? How are the DPMS series? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I would want to look at it good. But I would take a DPMS over an entry level Bushmaster.

VIP Member
    DPMS is a decent entry level rifle. As long as you understand that you aren't getting a Colt or Daniel Defense ibsay go for it. Very attractive price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

For the price that's a good value. Keep in mind though that there's a reason the better ARs cost about $400 more than that usually. If your plans involve mild recreation and plinking it should be a solid choice.

DPMS is a good entry gun but it may not have mil spec stock so bare that in mind for future , I like magpul BUIS nice sights for flattops . Also look online you can find 15 round mags for AR very easy . There were made for NJ but ..

MSAR has blow outs all the time on CDNN for pinned to 15 AR mags and I am sure you can find magpuls etc that are blocked to 15 rounds.

Also make sure it is the model that has a collespting stock and bayo lug . A lot of times they will only ship one model compilence guns and yours may be the NJ or such model which would mean the stock is pinned and no lug . Just something to check..

For a basic plinking rifle this should be ok . M&P sport are another nice entry brand the carbon 15 are so so

I've been hearing of the M&P Sport selling for back down around $650 lately (haven't personally seen one at that price in a year). If you can find one of those, it would definitely be worth the extra $32!
    StormRhydr and 5lima30ret like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Saw one at a local walmart here in northern MI. Same deal, but with 30rd mag.

Tempting, but you can build a PSA for about the same price.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

I'm not an expert but I would rather spend a couple hundred more and get the Windham that WM carries. Probably a lot better gun than the DPMS for not a lot more money.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I've been hearing of the M&P Sport selling for back down around $650 lately (haven't personally seen one at that price in a year). If you can find one of those, it would definitely be worth the extra $32!
    Good suggestion!

The LGS that I bought my Stag 1L at in Dec 2012 (the night before the crazyness started) has a M&P Sport in-stock right now for $649. They also have some nice models in the mid-600s to mid-800s, including new Mini-14s and more service grade M4 types.

I will take a look at both the DPMS and the M&P.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Good suggestion!

The LGS that I bought my Stag 1L at in Dec 2012 (the night before the crazyness started) has a M&P Sport in-stock right now for $649. They also have some nice models in the mid-600s to mid-800s, including new Mini-14s and more service grade M4 types.

I will take a look at both the DPMS and the M&P.

Thanks!

By my unsdeersanding all the sport does not have is a forawrd assite and a dust cover but otherwise a great gun . There are some good review of youtube on it as well. Gun Review: Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport | The Truth About Guns the review is good and talks about overcomeing the minior flaws in the version.

Just makes sure you get a free state model not a ban state since it has the 10 round mag it may be lump into ban state guns which as I said my have pinned stocks etc etc.

The only restriction that we have is Denver City and County residents are 10 round mags, and the rest of the state is 15 round. At one point Denver held on to the AWB ban for it's residents, but I think that has died.

If the OP lives in Denver City and County, he'll need to check with the local LEO's or the DA on the law RE: Owning what they refer to as an AW.

Rifle wise, for your son, that would be a decent starter, but I would definitely look into a PSA brand (Not PTAC!). For a touch more, you can get an upper, BCG, charging handle, and assemble a lower for $800 (no sales tax, and all components are of the proper materials, HP/MPI, FN Barrel). If you wait for the "Out of Stock" items to come back in, you can probably do a little better. That would put you above the quality range of the hobby guns, and you can build on it.

Mayhap you should buy a simple .22 rifle and start taking him to some Appleseed shoots now where he will get the proper training and experience, then in a few years get the AR.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I just bought a DPMS Oracle for $599.99 $650.00 after taxes. at Cabelas. Put about 200 rounds thru it after a good cleaning and a low cost Simmons red dot. Had no issues with it on the range. I really like it. It's to cold to shoot right now though. -4 this morning.

Thanks for the input!

Just to confirm- this purchase would not be for his use now, but stored for several years. He is already beginning to shoot his singleshot 22 on a regular basis.

Though I dont live in Denver, it shoud be noted that Denver dealers, such as Bass Pro (at the old airport) were selling 20 rd mags up until June 30, and continue to sell 15 rounders, so the comment on a 10 rd restriction is incorrect.

I've never shot or owned a DPMS but my LGS recently had a few in and their low priced grabbed my attention. I asked the owner about them and he said they were a decent entry level gun but nothing fancy. He started his teenage son on one before he bought him a "real rifle" (his words) and it's been trouble free for him through many rounds.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

If it's not going to be used for several years how about another month of saving and buy a Colt for 1000 or less? Quality will be unquestioned and it will hold it's value.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links