Recommend all-around .22 rifle

This is a discussion on Recommend all-around .22 rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking to buy an all-around .22 rifle. I know there's a lot of respect for the Ruger 10/22 offerings, but I'm sure there are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Recommend all-around .22 rifle

I'm looking to buy an all-around .22 rifle. I know there's a lot of respect for the Ruger 10/22 offerings, but I'm sure there are good alternatives. What do you like and why, if you don't mind elaborating a little.

Thanks.

[Edit: Budget top-end is $300, and I shoot left-handed.]
    Last edited by Broadus; January 7th, 2014 at 07:29 PM.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I really like my 10/22. Unlimited aftermarket parts and accessories, accurate and reliable.
    CIBMike and Yetiman like this.

What's your budget? I like Anschutz, Volquartsen & CZ. Yet have shooting buddies who can flat wad 'em up with a Savage or Marlin. The Indian is more important than the arrow.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Don't rule out bolt actions. We do a lot of 50 yard shooting at the daisy splatter blast disk. I use my old Remington single shot bolt action with a $39 Bushnell scope. Don't mean to brag, but I never miss. My buddies seldom hit more than five in row.

We do it as fun completion. Shoot until you miss and then you walk back and forth loading targets until the next guy misses.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

If not the 10/22 which is by far one of the best option than I also like my henry golden boy lots of fun dead on accurate
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

Let's not forget the Marlin 39.
    svgheartland and Gearhead like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    $$$?

In an automatic you are going to be hard pressed to beat a Ruger 10/22 in all its LIMITLESS variants at the same price point. I have a cheap Charles Daly that runs fine, but it's not 10/22, and it only has a 10 rnd mag, so if you want automatic 10/22 is pretty much king.

For an affordable bolt Savage and CZ make rifles that a novice can group tightly. If money's no object then 1. Anschutz, or 2. Dakota, or 3. Kimber (and I'll throw in 4. Sako just because it's a personal favorite) make match grade rifles.

There's always a Henry for the in-between lever.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

For great fun and adaptability as well as ease of maintenance, try the S&W 15-22.
    Exacto likes this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Truly, that's like, "What's your favorite color?".
    CIBMike likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Reminton 552 SpeedMaster

Autoloading Rimfire Rifle - Model 552 Speedmaster Rimfire Rifle - Remington Autoloading Rimfire Rifle

they're not cheap, compared to a 10/22 anyway.
    but i grew up with both. we had 10/22's, marlin's, a mitchell PPK clone .22, and the Remington. maybe mine was a fluke, but that remington was the most accurate, reliable, and fun of all of em. and make no mistake, we shot the 10/22 until the bolt started to crack. me and my buddies were ruthless to .22's. now i still wish i had that Remington, that was a cool gun. they make almost the same thing in a pump, or "slide" action. shot one of those once too, seemed just as good as the auto.

EDIT- NOT fun to take apart though....
    StormRhydr likes this.

I love the 10/22 but it won't feed shorts, nor cycle with CB ammo. So it is not quite "all around". Consider a slide action, lever action or bolt action if those factors matter to you.

With the rimfire ammo shortage we shoot whatever we can get.
    WrongRecroom and BugDude like this.

Thompson Center Thompson Center 22 Classic .22 LR - Article Detail I have this gun, and its (among .22s), probably my favorite.

I actually like bolt actions, but the Thompson is SWEET. Kimber doesnt make then now, but they made nice bolt action .22s.

For the money, CZ makes probably the best bolt action .22 rifles out there. Made like .22 rifles in the US used to be made. Hammer forged barrels, walnut stocked, and unreal accuracy.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Let's not forget the Marlin 39.
    That's the stuff right there. I've never had trigger time w/a sweeter 22 than this one. Failing to find one, I'd say a 10/22 take down and call it good.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Administrator
    My scoped Weatherby Mark XXII Is probably my most accurate and finely built rim-fire rifle. A true Tack Driver. If you ever happen upon a used one in good condition think about buying it.

Web Found Photo but, this would be the rifle.

pistola, StormRhydr and Gearhead like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    That's the stuff right there. I've never had trigger time w/a sweeter 22 than this one. Failing to find one, I'd say a 10/22 take down and call it good.
    I should have thought of that one. My buddy just bought one. I haven't shot it, but it is amazing how small it breaks down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links