Mosin-Nagant Sporter Finally Completed!

This is a discussion on Mosin-Nagant Sporter Finally Completed! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I finally completed my Mosin-Nagant project (alomst)! It is a 1944 91/30 produced at the Izhevsk plant. I chose this one because it had a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Mosin-Nagant Sporter Finally Completed!

Mosin-Nagant Sporter Finally Completed!

I finally completed my Mosin-Nagant project (alomst)! It is a 1944 91/30 produced at the Izhevsk plant. I chose this one because it had a bolt that was as smooth as butter as well as being in the best shape overall out of the bunch that were available. The only things I'd still like to do to it is remove the front sight, seeing as that I'm never going to get the iron sight back on again after the scope mods, and (maybe) get the ring attachment for the safety knob.

The following work and mods were done:

1. All metal parts have been completely disassembled, bead-blasted and dura-coated in glossy black.
    2. Bolt was dissembled, cleaned, polished and greased.
    3. Bore was checked for condition with scope (it is in good shape).
    4. Aftermarket ATI stock added (had to fit to shape).
    5. ATI sling added.
    6. Allen buttstock cartridge holder sleeve added.
    7. NcStar 2-7x32 forward view scope was mounted and bore-sighted.
    10. Picked up a $20 Flambeau hard case to store her in.

Yes, I know I probably could've went out and just bought a new bolt gun already set up for the money and time I sunk into this one, but the main idea behind this is I wanted a real bolt gun that I can actually afford to shoot a lot! The money I'll save shooting the inexpensive Russian 7.62x54R ammo will justify the expense in the long run. Plus, it can be used for hunting or a SHTF sniper (not that I'm qualified).

And most of all, Mosin-Nagants are just simply cool, and are more durable then a lot of bolt guns within the price range that I've spent on this, and I'm the only kid on the block who has one exactly like mine! I haven't got to take her out yet, but I'm expecting no problems other then the scope needing minor adjustment.

DSC00115.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Wow, that is a real Beauty!! Lots of work there, Big Congrats. It feels good to say:

funny-built-this-bear-hands-picnic-table-pun-joke-pics1.jpg
    mano3 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    Not my cup of tea but I do have to say that it is the best looking Mosin I've ever seen.
    mano3 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Odessa FL, South Pasco County, Tampa Bay Area
    Nice work...Have a good bud that has several of them, and he's sported one.. Almost identical to yours.

The best improvement was no doubt the Timney Trigger he installed...For around $100, it totally improved the trigger, and it's adjustable to suit yourself...But the BEST thing is the safety that it comes with...Totally eliminates that horrible OEM one that sticks out of the back of the bolt. Right thumb easy push-pull release, much easier to use, and much quieter in the field.

Best, FLc
    THE BILL OF RIGHTS: Void Where Prohibited By Law
    Politically Incorrect?...Maybe. Conformity Challenged?...Absolutely
    "I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it." (Capt. Woodrow F. Call, TX Ranger, Ret)

Have you looked at the Archangel kit ? Biggest benfit I can see is you can used detacble 10 round mags with it
    mano3 likes this.

Now I need one of these too....
    mano3 likes this.
    Glock 19, Glock 27, Glock 30, Mossberg 500, Ruger 10/22, Savage Hog Hunter, Kahr CM9, Beretta M9

More to follow... Its an addiction

NRA1945, that's a beautiful rifle right there. I like it!

More pics, if you're able. Would love to see some of the features close-up, along with targets/accuracy.

Looks like a winner.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

U did good....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

archangel-mosin-3.jpg Archangle

And OP that looks real nice not mall ninja at all so congrats

That is just too cool. I love my MG just the way it is but I'm seriously considering getting another one so I can do the same thing.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Very nice job.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Of course if you really want to have the full mosin time (ie massive pain and muzzle flash ) build a OBREZ model mosin ( either demill and build or NFA round) then you can have some fun

This just goes to show all the things you can do with this gun

I love my Mosins. The Finnish M39 being the favorite. You have a nice looking gun there.

Very nice work. Make sure you throw some desiccant packets in with it in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    NRA1945, that's a beautiful rifle right there. I like it!

More pics, if you're able. Would love to see some of the features close-up, along with targets/accuracy.

Looks like a winner.
    Thanks. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't have a rifle stand, and my camera is not so great (not hi-def). When I get a stand and there is better light I will take some more photos. It looks much nicer in person then in that pic.

I can tell you one thing though... this sure is one damn loooong rifle! I'm lucky the Flambeau case barely fits. That ATI stock really brings out the barrel length. When I have it strapped to my shoulder, I have to be careful in not hitting the tip of the barrel on doorways, etc. I thought about cutting it down, but was told and convinced that is not a wise thing to do with this type of gun and barrel. Wished I could've found a Mosin carbine to sporterize instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links