AK47 or AK74?

This is a discussion on AK47 or AK74? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am in the market to buy my first AK and I wanted some input on what platform to get, the 74 or 47? Ive ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: AK47 or AK74?

AK47 or AK74?

I am in the market to buy my first AK and I wanted some input on what platform to get, the 74 or 47? Ive narrowed it down to a couple specific entry level AK's, I know they aren't arsenals but I am looking into just getting into AK's and I dont want to spend too much $. The first is the yugo m70 npap and the second one is the bulgarian m74. Both guns are in the $500-$600 range which is what I have to spend, and both get better than decent reviews. Anybody have either one that can give me some first hand experience?
    100_0718.jpeg
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

2. Remove Ads

Ballistics wise most would say the 47, but it tends to not tumble and over penetrate in my opinion. I would go 74...cheaper ammo as well.

I like aks so I will try to help .http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/14..._in_here_.html has a lot of good info .

I will break it down simply if you want a fun good out in the woods and blow through thousand of rounds get this AK-74 Semi-Auto Rifle W / Chrome Lined Barrel by Waffen Werks. With Original Grade A Wood Stocks, Rifle Only - Long Guns and a crap ton of ammo . The suprusle 74 ammo is dirt cheep . However you must clean the crap out of the gun asap if you do shoot surpusl ammo as it is corrisive . Also it is not range safe at all ( they only make one round that is a vmax round). It is a very soft shooting gun very flat trajcroty . It the russian version of the 223 round . The only downside is the mag are not cheep like 30 bucks for good one .

If you are looking for a knock around gun get the 47 . There are a lot of ammo choice for it range safe inculded and the mags are very cheep like 10 bucks for basic ones . Ammo is the same price as new producation 74 ammo or less and if in bulk still cheep.

However on the npapa do beware it is a ok ak but not all stocks(slide fire inculded) or parts will work in it . Also make sure it has a double bolt some of them were made for single bolts and had problems . Also it has no chrom lining so clean it well if you fired corrisve . And finnaly it has no bayo lug if you are into that .Gun Preview: N-PAP AK-47 | The Truth About Guns Gun Review: Century Arms Zastava N-PAP AK-47 | The Truth About Guns

Also buy in person make sure the bolt pulls back smoth and look down the gun it should be straight with no cant and make sure if you can the parts match if it is a parts gun this video should help

Also beawre of any USA part 74 a lot of them keyholed like crazy due to the wrong barrels. Tantal guns that CAI made had this problem. The m74 I think does not (I dont think) but it does not have a chrom barrel so you will need to either fired non corrisve ammo or clean it the heck out of it ( with soap or windex or just take a bath with it ..). Also the plascit on it is crap there is no heat shild it will melt into the gun ( ask me how I know..) so swap it asap . AK 47 / 74 Rifles - Atlantic Firearms | AR15 & AK47 Rifles also has a lot to look at

Also it can be good to undersatnd 922r laws and what pre 89 or 94 mean but that is for latter ..

What other question do you have ?

As for ammo think of this way the 7.62 is like 30-30 and the 5.45 is like 223

okay thanks for the info. yes I have heard that for the yugos you have to buy Yugo specific parts (stock, handguards, etc.) so that made me consider it less because I plan to put a Midwest industries universal rail on it https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...ategory_ID=241. also is the 5.45 1080 round tins that you can buy for like $180 corrosive or non? and when you say the plastic is crap do you mean the handguards? because like I said that will go right away haha
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

also since I see you live in AZ, what is your opinion of J&G sales? are they reputable enough to buy without looking?

Quote Originally Posted by rugerdude12 View Post
    okay thanks for the info. yes I have heard that for the yugos you have to buy Yugo specific parts (stock, handguards, etc.) so that made me consider it less because I plan to put a Midwest industries universal rail on it https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...ategory_ID=241. also is the 5.45 1080 round tins that you can buy for like $180 corrosive or non? and when you say the plastic is crap do you mean the handguards? because like I said that will go right away haha
    Yes I mean the handguard you want ones with a metal linner . I am not 100% sure if the npap takes normal AK handguns you might wanto to check Midwest Industries 2-Piece Handguard Quad Rail Yugo AK-47 Aluminum as there is a lot of differnt Yugo out there ..

And yes the 1080 tins are corrisve (I have seen peopls muzzle brak rust onto the gun from not cleaing ) do not clean that like normal ammo used soap and water .Also I am not sure what brake the m74 has but if you can buy a chrom lineed surpuels one as they will hold up better KVAR has a lot of 74 parts as does midways and classci firerarms has a whole statrted kit with mags and bayo etc.

also since I see you live in AZ, what is your opinion of J&G sales? are they reputable enough to buy without looking?
    They have been around a long time . I tend to buy guns in person so I can not say on them but from what I hear they are pretty repuatble .. But if it a issues you will most likly be dealing with CAI which can be hit or miss ..

When I went there I was not pleased by lack of sercive but that is the way at most guns stores . Also if you call they may hand select a gun for you.

have you looked at the saiga rifles ? You can buy one for 450 or so as a hunting rifles and make into a AK rifles...

To be frank unless the Ak was made pre 89 I would never buy one esp a CAI ones not in person . But if online is your only then j&g or alentic firearms or classic firearms all I hear good things about and would not mind at all dealing with them.

Also as a add on if you are looking at a vz58 or vz2008 rifle they are nice guns lightweight .But they do not take AK mags .

I just looked at j&g and I think all the AKS they are stockign are CAI builds . The only ak that is not "american made " would be the ak pistole they are pure foregin but you can not add a stock or fore grip withouth paperwork..

Most AK in the USA right now are about the same imop. They are either guns that were built from parts kits with USA made parts to make them legal . Or guns that were imported as sporting guns ( ie hunting stocks or thumbhole stock usally 10 round mags etc) then here the mag well hollow out and USA parts addeds. So all are about the same .

The key is who built the gun and what parts did they used.

okay great you have given me a lot of valuable info thanks. one more question, I found chrome lined 74 barrels for like $100 if I swap it out would that take care of the corrosive ammo issue? and can I buy WPA and brown bear for as cheap as the surplus stuff? sorry im kinda ignorant when it comes to AK's

okay great you have given me a lot of valuable info thanks. one more question, I found chrome lined 74 barrels for like $100 if I swap it out would that take care of the corrosive ammo issue? and can I buy WPA and brown bear for as cheap as the surplus stuff? sorry im kinda ignorant when it comes to AK's
    No worries at all I still dont know close to anything on them they are tricker then AR if you ask me ..

What you should now is a while back the gov said that non USA barrels are machine gun parts and can not be imported thus the barrels you mostly see are USA made some good some not. The barrel you are looking at is on classic right?

Nothing will take care of the corrosive issue but cleaning . Yes chroming will delay but always good to clean the heck out of it .

And if you buy builk ammo you can do ok with non suprusl . I have gotten 750 rounds for like 230 or so of new wolf ammo so yeah you can get close usually about 1000 rounds for 250 or so plus shipping 5.45x39 | SGAmmo.com or less if you look .

This is probley the only round that should be ok for range ammo Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 5.45X39 :: 5.45X39 60 gr V-MAX™ Steel Case as it is a non steel core round .

Corrisive is not some scary thing you just need to clean and oil good Cleaning an AK rifle after firing corrosive ammunition .. The main issues is the salt in the primer that can eat away at things ( thus rust ) thus the need for water . Again some people dont have a problems others ..

I perosnal dont feel like dealing with a the stuff and jsut buy as shtf stash ..

Any things else feel free to ask I will answer what I can . Happy to get a new person into AK

Swapping out an AK barrel is probably not going to be something you can do on your own, it's a bit more involved than with an AR as it needs to be pressed in and pinned. I'd recommend a 7.62 or 5.56 AK over 5.45, more ammo variety and availability. There isn't nearly as much commercial 5.45 out there and once that surplus starts drying up like every other surplus caliber before it, you may find yourself up a creek if you didn't stock up. All of that surplus ammo should be assumed to be corrosive, it isn't too hard to clean up properly after corrosive ammo but I don't bother with it.
    Caertaker and NONAME762 like this.

yep that is exactly where that barrel was. also on my AR to lube the BCG I just use 5w20 synthetic, I have heard AK's like axle bearing grease is this true? what do you recommend for lubing an AK?

yep that is exactly where that barrel was. also on my AR to lube the BCG I just use 5w20 synthetic, I have heard AK's like axle bearing grease is this true? what do you recommend for lubing an AK?
    I think that should fine . I am going to use mpro7 or remoil a that is what is handy .Most anything should be ok. I dont know on grease

Educational Zone #50 - Cleaning & Lubricating an AK Rifle - Page 1

Its a AK they were meant to run dirty and sloppy ... But a little oil would not hurt at all

And also when I ask my gun guy about a new barrel you will need a barrel press to put it in there . I dont think this is something you can do at home

TRX
    AK-47s come in 7.62x39, barring a few oddballs.

AK-74s are available in 5.45x39 or .223/5.56 NATO.

Military surplus 7.62 and 5.45 ammunition is getting expensive. Commerical 7.62x39 isn't cheap, but it will likely be available indefinitely. 5.45 isn't well supported past surplus and Russian imports. I'd avoid a 5.45 rifle.

.223 will probably be the cheapest to shoot for quite a while. I'd go with the '74 in .223.

Although I favor a gas piston over the gas impingement, the deciding factor for me choosing the AK platform, or at least a major one, was the round. 7 62 v 5 45.jpg
    If I were looking to purchase a rifle in the smaller caliber I would opt for the AR platform because of its accuracy and availability of aftermarket add-ons. So AK-47.
    Aceoky and Bozz10mm like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links