Tactical bolt action rifles. Eye candy?

This is a discussion on Tactical bolt action rifles. Eye candy? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Several threads have unfortunately led me to wandering down the rabbit hole and I am seeing a lot of new "tactical" (tacticool) bolt action rifles ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Tactical bolt action rifles. Eye candy?

Tactical bolt action rifles. Eye candy?

Several threads have unfortunately led me to wandering down the rabbit hole and I am seeing a lot of new "tactical" (tacticool) bolt action rifles out there.

Most recent was the Colt M2012SA308. $3k bare bones.

Then I fall back to my top of the list, the Accuracy International - and find the AX version which I had not seen before, $8k.

Regardless of the rifle, the proper scope it's going to require is going to be another $2.5 or more. Sigh. Nice to dream.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

My best tactical bolt action rifle cost me under $1k with scope and work done by Aurora Tactical. I just can't grasp thoughts of a $2k rifle ready to go and paying for it myself. I reload for mine and that's a plus in my book. $3 grand and the rifle would have to do the job without me pretty much. Crazy. I'd rather do the work than pay for it. Just me. I don't look for guarantees. LOL!
    Far from eye candy....got to be functional if I'm going to own it and shoot it. Nothing I have is for eye candy. I shoot them all.
    Carry means carry. That means all of the time. If you don't, you're just kidding yourself and opening up options for someone to take you down.

Eye candy in respect to no $$$. Even a simple Rem 700 for $1200 w/simple scope may as well cost $12mil for all the money I have.

There will never be a safe queen in my house.
    CIBMike and Eric357 like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

IMO....the Rem 700 isn't all it's cracked up to be without a Marine Corps armorer behind it. Eye candy can be had for little money just replacing the factory stock. A good rifle never needs to look impressive, it just needs to do the job effectively.
    Carry means carry. That means all of the time. If you don't, you're just kidding yourself and opening up options for someone to take you down.

VIP Member
    Wasnt' the Lee Enfield MK I the first Tactical Bolt Action Rifle? Heard it worked pretty well in the trenches.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

A $3K bolt rifle is definitely a niche weapon for those with deep pockets.God Bless !! I have a beautiful Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 purchased new in 1979. Have entertained the thought of a composite stock, a flat Cerakote finish, a piece of 1913 rail and a good optic. Currently it has a K4 US-made Weaver on top. It has been a 'closet Queen' for years, but it was the first weapon I paid for out of my pocket at age 16. Those changes could make both a good hunting rig(though I haven't deer hunted in ages) and solid 'go to' defensive rifle. Thoughts ??
    Eric357 likes this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF
    Wasnt' the Lee Enfield MK I the first Tactical Bolt Action Rifle? Heard it worked pretty well in the trenches.
    Fastest bolt action of it's time. It's even arguable that it is still the fastest bolt action around.

OP look at Savage for a decent out of the box accurate rifle. While there's no doubt that you get what you pay for in Glass, there are plenty of very good optics available at lower prices. If you don't plan on staking your life on cold bore bull's eyes at 1000+ yards you can put a very respectable medium range gun together for under $1000.00

Here's a package from Savage that will out shoot most of us for $699.00 at Gander Mountain. I'd lay odd's that it could be had for $550.00 if you did some shopping around.
    Eric357 and molleur like this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Twas the British whom invented that. Same ones that wanted to rule us and subjugate us from abroad. As to whom were actually in the trenches with these rifles.......I couldn't say. In modern warfare, the Enfield doesn't place with me. Viet-Nam on. I just can't get my head around a British anything perhaps. Including S&W to this day. Sure we were allies in wartimes, but this goes way back for me even though I wasn't alive at the time.

Remington 7615 (pump action 223 rifle, uses magazines)

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Have you checked out or handled the Ruger Gunsite Scout? Its pretty sweet! Good luck!
    Eric357 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

This is the first time I've ever entertained the thought of a "tactical" bolt action.

Thought over. I'll be "settling" with a Ruger American Rifle in .308 for $319.99.
    5lima30ret, Czombie and GWarden like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Sticks,

A bit back I had a thread about a day that I took my two top bolt actions out. A Rem 700 SPS in .308 with a 20" bull barrel, and a Redfield 4-12 scope (new production, made by Leupold), and my Savage 10 in .308, which still had the Bushnell 3-9 scope that is came with as a package deal (all for under $500).

Shooting both from prone with 168gr HPBT ammo, I was able to get sub-MOA groups.

For more than a couple hundred yards (the longest range I have access to currently), I would need better glass to get optimal performance. And I actually want to put a stiffer stock on the 700. But, I think that for the average shooter, either rifle is capable of being more accurate than the shooter.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't care for a lightweight synthetic stocks on a rifle that kicks. I tried "lightening" my stock 700 ADL back in the '70s when that was the craze and found my once-comfortable .30-06 kicked my teeth loose. I added weight back, fiberglass bedded the stock, and free floated the barrel. If I pay attention to what I'm doing, and with my handloads and the 3x-9x Bushnell scope, it will shoot sub-minute groups, no problem. Keep your plastics, rails, lights, radar range finders, and laser beams.
    Eric357, molleur and the6shooter like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It all depednds on how you can shoot and if you have room to shoot.

If you can make shoots out to 1/2 -1 mile or more and for that matter have a place to do that then by all means a sup up gun will do it .

I mean the only thing I would see as a good things on a bolt gun is a adjustable stock and a flash hider or threading for a silencer
    Eric357 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'll be impressed when I see a tactical muzzle loader.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links