Christmas Bushie

This is a discussion on Christmas Bushie within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got this for Christmas this weekend: Bushmaster "Homeland Defender" Not my pics, but same rifle:...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Bushie

Christmas Bushie

Got this for Christmas this weekend:

Bushmaster "Homeland Defender"

Not my pics, but same rifle:
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Very Nice, but you opened your present before Christmas.

Have fun shooting

Very Nice...

I got the same weapon three weeks ago...
    Now you need to add the E.O. Tech Holographic scope...

How much 'starter' ammo did you get?

Congrats...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I got the same weapon three weeks ago...
    Now you need to add the E.O. Tech Holographic scope...

How much 'starter' ammo did you get?

Congrats...

ret
    Really? What's the deal with the "Homeland Defender" package? I think my dealer said it was something put together by the distributor.

And I don't know what to do about optics yet. I want to really learn the irons right now, then I don't know where to go. Scope vs EOTech vs ???

Anybody got any suggestions or pictures?

Thanks,

Mike

Bump for opinions and experiences with sights/optics, there is a gun show in town this weekend.

Thanks
    Last edited by hawkeye680; January 5th, 2007 at 11:01 AM.

Administrator
    Don't scope it... worthless on a battle rifle. EOtech would be my choice. If you must scope, go with an ACOG, but mount it on your carry handle so you can still use your iron sights.

The best items to compliment an AR is a good rifle case, I like bagmaster, plenty of magazines; I prefer 20 rounders, and a good sling. You can do about anything with a standard GI sling that you can do with the fancy high speed low drag gimmicks the sell at gunshows.

Oh yeah, ammo, more ammo.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Not much use for a scope one one of those. If you do, get a wide one that will give you a lot of flexibility with the relief. Stick with one power setting, preferably under 4X. I don't like the carry handle mounts because they do still interfere with the sight picture, are slow to remove, and don't re-zero when you take them off. At least a flip up back up iron sight is a good idea when using a scope.

I've not used the ACOG, but I've seen the price tag. For what I've seen those listed for you could instead get the ECLAN (quite possibly the ugliest optic in existance). I like them. Illuminated reticle with range markings, something like 3.25X and the glass is huge.

Another interesting optic is the Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T. I've not used one but the idea of a variable 1-3X with illuminated reticle appeals to me.

For a reflex sight, get one that doesn't interfere with the iron sights. If you want to loose the carry hand (they're pretty much worthless anyway) you can get just the rear sight to save space on the rail.

I've fired an M-16 with several different aiming configurations.
    Standard iron sights: Only downside I found was it's much harder to shoot with the non-dominant side. I shoot 39/40 right handed, 24/40 left. Front sight post will eventually require blackening with a lighter or other method.
    Reflex sight: When mounted forward of the carry handle, and with both eyes open (like the manual says I'm supposed to use it) I see 2 reticles. When mounted on the upper receiver it worked fine. I shot 38/40 right hand, 34/40 left. Big advantage of the reflex sight, you can shoot easily with the non-dominant eye.
    Downsides: the batteries ran dead, parts fell off, the honeycomb anti-reflection insert (uncommon outside of the military) looks pretty odd at 1X (3X and above you can't even see it)
    4X Tapco scope (paid about $30): not much help on the range. Tighter shot group but still only 39/40 targets. During force on force training, it helped with target identification.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Don't scope it... worthless on a battle rifle. (SNIP)
    The majority of the USA and USMC personnel (with combat experience) in my current military command would completely disagree with you.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    The majority of the USA and USMC personnel (with combat experience) in my current military command would completely disagree with you.
    OK?! and what scope do they use? and how is it set up? What is the primary sight system?

Military use also use their rifles in a different manner than a civilian. 100 yd+ are common, where anything past that is very rare in the civilian arena. If you are in a gun fight at those ranges as a civilian, you most likely will have some serious explaining to do.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    A friend has the Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T mounted on his AR. Very cool, easy to use, more flexible than a red dot or scope alone.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    OK?! and what scope do they use? and how is it set up? What is the primary sight system?

Military use also use their rifles in a different manner than a civilian. 100 yd+ are common, where anything past that is very rare in the civilian arena. If you are in a gun fight at those ranges as a civilian, you most likely will have some serious explaining to do.
    Depends on what you are defending. My AR is my coyote gun. Out here we consider coyotes and mountain lions threats to our way of life that may need eliminated if they attack our herds.

I'll concede those of us that aren't so rural based wouldn't be shooting out that far.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member

Mostly ACOG in SOPMOD configuration, one person informed he used a Horus Vision scope....and that is the primary sight. I don't know if he is a designated rifleman. The "senior" Marines in my command are thrilled to finally have some optical system; in their case ACOGs.

Yes, I know military (infantry) v. civilian (non-LE) uses of scopes are different, but you didn't clarify civilan v. military in your post which is why I made my point.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye680 View Post
    Bushmaster "Homeland Defender"
    At least you didn't get the Homeland Security model. Let me see ... Optional Red Tape delayed-action trigger group; special myopic sights; triple-redundant magazine safety; free crate of PC low-penetration ammo.

Seriously, though: great purchase! Am looking at AR's now, myself.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    Depends on what you are defending. My AR is my coyote gun. Out here we consider coyotes and mountain lions threats to our way of life that may need eliminated if they attack our herds.

I'll concede those of us that aren't so rural based wouldn't be shooting out that far.
    I had a AR set up as a coyote gun, worked great. (yes, it was scoped) But I doubt the particular gun pictured is going to be a coyote gun.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Yes, I know military (infantry) v. civilian (non-LE) uses of scopes are different, but you didn't clarify civilan v. military in your post which is why I made my point.
    I think it was safe to assume that we were talking about a civilian set up, due to the fact the questions were being asked here, and he is outfitting his own gun. Also, in all my time serving in the military and in L.E., I never had a firearm given to me by my agency as a Christmas gift. The gun pictured is most likely not going to used for a hunting application.
    My point is that the gun should be outfitted for the task at hand, not for what goofy gun magazine has pictured. Your hard earned money could be spent better than on equipment you dont need and will most likely be a hinderance in a ugly situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links