New SIG556xi

New SIG556xi

This is a discussion on New SIG556xi within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This could be interesting I hadn't seen it before. SIG SAUER® Raises the Bar with the SIG556xi® - YouTube...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pixel5

Thread: New SIG556xi

VIP Member

New SIG556xi

This could be interesting I hadn't seen it before.

SIG SAUER® Raises the Bar with the SIG556xi® - YouTube
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

WOW!
    Use your enemies' magazines and ammo. What could not be good about that? Interesting indeed. Trade my AK and AR in for that no problem!
    So you want a holy war? How many holes would you like?

1. Sig = CHECK
    2. 7.62x39 = CHECK
    3. Fully ambidextrous = CHECK
    4. Not $4000 = CHECK ($1400 MSRP)
    mano3 likes this.

Uh they already make the sig556r the russian ak mag version of the the sig 556 and it is like 1-2k at most now ...

The selling point of this over a 556r or 556 is you can switch rounds/mag type on the fly .. SIG556xi.. As long as they do put the parts on the market unlike Travor and there 5.45 modifer then I may just get this as a ar an ak mag rifle can be very handy
    SHOT Show 2014: Shooting the SIG556xi rifle and the P320 pistol
    SIG556xi
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Now that does look promising. A bit more work than I would have thought for a conversion to a different caliber, not something I would want to do under fire. I see barrel clocking and torque becoming an issue.

It will be interesting to see how well it holds up after a year/5k rounds in the field ~ civilian use.

I also noticed they have joined the ranks of integrated ambil lower. Come on standardization!

Should have started with a 7.62 base and set it to work down in caliber.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    It seems like a good idea. I wonder how the ATF is going to get involved, serialized upper, swappable barrels (SBR) and swappable lowers. I wonder if it will need a tax stamp.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It seems like a good idea. I wonder how the ATF is going to get involved, serialized upper, swappable barrels (SBR) and swappable lowers. I wonder if it will need a tax stamp.
    The P250 doesn't need one. I'm assume they abide by the same principle.

I love my 556 it is a great rifle.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Hope this turns out well, One would think somebody would already have built this based off demand by now. I don't think anybody has really nailed down a modular "UBER" reliable 7.62-5.56- what ever caliber in whatever county they are fighting in rifle. To me it just says "Modular" i.e. --> "Not reliable"

with all the AR Uppers then,
    MGI tried it and.............................nada, then
    Magpul i.e. Bushmaster Masada ACR or whatever its called.....ultimately its a cool 5.56, I always look back to that show "Future Weapons" with Mac the Navy Seal I still laugh when he showed the Masada and how it would use the "ENEMIES rounds", he holds up a 5.56 and then a 7.62 its suppose to be a 39mm but he holds up a 51mm...and If you go to Bushmasters website guess what no 7.62 conversions.... Last time I checked no "Enemy" was shooting 6.8 SPC.
    I know SIG has come out wth some modular stuff that has worked, but with a Rifle I'm not going to hold my breath.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pixel5 View Post
    The P250 doesn't need one. I'm assume they abide by the same principle.
    A couple of differences was that the P250 serialized receiver was still the part with the trigger and it was a pistol so the swappable barrels thing is new territory too.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Links