Just bought my first shotgun

This is a discussion on Just bought my first shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just bought a Mossberg 500 from my local shop. It is one of those pistol grip ZMB survival kits that has the tube you can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Just bought my first shotgun

Just bought a Mossberg 500 from my local shop. It is one of those pistol grip ZMB survival kits that has the tube you can bury (. It also has a chainsaw grip (which is already off so I can sell it). I was only interested in the shotgun. I have a tactical stock in route to replace the pistol grip. Does anybody have any tips or hints for the Mossberg 500?

My tip is to go shoot it a lot. Not only is it a blast (pun kinda intended), it took me some getting used to the first time I used a pump action. Having mostly fired double barrels or autos, the first time I took my 870 out I forgot to rack the slide to fire the next round. I got over that pretty quickly, but better out on the range than in a SD situation.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

What "tactical stock" are you going with. I have the Hogue 12 lop stock on mine. The only thing I added was a streamlight tr1 mounted on a laserlyte rail. Load up on some ammo be safe and have fun.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Make sure that the stock you get has a good recoil pad. Other than that just shoot it! My first Mod 500 is over 30 years old and has had easily 4,000 shells through it. (I used to dove hunt ALOT) Enjoy your new gun!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by p34flyboy View Post
    Does anybody have any tips or hints for the Mossberg 500?
    Fondle it daily.
    Wipe its "butt" at least once a week.
    Give it lots of good "food" to eat.
    And shoot the ever-loving peanuts out of it, until it's smokin' and you have no targets left.

That's about all that's needed.

Good choice on a shotgun, there. Pics, pics, pics, once you wring it out at the range. Always good to see a great gun taken through its paces.
    WHEC724, atctimmy, DjPx4 and 1 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Carib View Post
    What "tactical stock" are you going with. I have the Hogue 12 lop stock on mine. The only thing I added was a streamlight tr1 mounted on a laserlyte rail. Load up on some ammo be safe and have fun.
    It is from Phoenix Technologies. Reviews I read online were good, especially with the recoil pad.
    squid86 likes this.

I had an AR style Knoxx stock on one of my Mossbergs. I had a hard time getting a proper and consistent cheek weld.
    drift and Alex_C like this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    i have a mossberg 590, same gun with heat sheild, bayonet lug, and higher cap. NOT the all steel A-1 mil model. as a welder i actually made my own light mount for mine. i have had it about 14 years, and shot prolly 5-6000 rnds thru it? i prefer them over 870's just for the dual extractor hooks. the only thing to watch for is that mine and a few others i've seen, the tube nut holding the barrel on will someitmes loosen after a box of shells. mine's a loose girl now-adays, but thats just how i like her! you can't pull the slide back and have it auto-unlock like you could the old win 1300's, you still have to wait for it to unlock after it's fired, but unless yuo've shot an old win 1300 that won't mean much, just practice cycling the action a bunch and you can really jack some shells through these guns. about every others months Dick's sporting goods run a special on the 500 with two barrels combo package for $299 here in colo. don't know if it's the same everywhere, but when a noob or friend ask me what hotgun to get, i just tell em to wait for the Dick's flyer...

Sounds like you are starting out right getting a stock on it. Pistol grip by itself looks cool but they seem to enable some truly astounding misses.
    StormRhydr and Kavalander like this.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Shoot it a lot. Get comfortable with it. Expect bruised shoulder. Enjoy it, they are great. This for hunting or home defense or both?

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Installed the new stock and here is a picture.

20140118_131309.jpg
    Attached Images
    drift likes this.

Try not to weigh it down with accessories. I like a sling and a light, at the most. Maybe a shell holder.
    Alex_C likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Try not to weigh it down with accessories. I like a sling and a light, at the most. Maybe a shell holder.
    A light is a must I believe. Do you have any recommendations for one? There are many out there. Pressure switch or no pressure switch?

I load my shell holder brass down. Easy to load more and not remove the gun from target. I practice this frequently.
    p34flyboy likes this.

VIP Member
    Congrats!

And if you receive an official looking letter with a return address of the Naval Observatory, NW Washington, D.C. that would be our esteemed Vice President sending his congrats as well.....
    p34flyboy and LimaCharlie like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links