Remington has one mad phone call coming in the morning

This is a discussion on Remington has one mad phone call coming in the morning within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just before Xmas, I bought myself an 870 Police Magnum. Brought it home and took it apart to clean it. The barrel was streaked with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Remington has one mad phone call coming in the morning

Remington has one mad phone call coming in the morning

Just before Xmas, I bought myself an 870 Police Magnum. Brought it home and took it apart to clean it. The barrel was streaked with stuff. Lead, I expect, but I've never seen that much in a brand new gun. So I cleaned it with solvent and a brass brush. The stuff came out, but of course got on the barrel.

And will not come off.

The barrel now has little specks of silver all over it. Solvent, oil, soft nylon brush, nothing will remove it.

I called Remington. They said no problem, send it back. I did, along with a letter and patches with all the gunk that came out of it.

I just got it back, and it is exactly as it was when I sent it. The paperwork said something about proper reassembly. Nothing was said or done about the crap on the barrel.

So tomorrow, they get an irate phone call.

2. Remove Ads

Uh...unless I'm mistaken, shipping dirty patches with solvent on them is illegal. Hazmat, flammable, etc. And just downright gross.

Sounds to me like some techs at Remington didn't appreciate your "package" and decided to not spend much effort helping you.

Perhaps you might change your approach?
    StormRhydr and Lee 1973 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Uh...unless I'm mistaken, shipping dirty patches with solvent on them is illegal. Hazmat, flammable, etc. And just downright gross.

Sounds to me like some techs at Remington didn't appreciate your "package" and decided to not spend much effort helping you.

Perhaps you might change your approach?
    I bought this gun from a very reputable LEO supply store. I was advised by them to ship the patches. They were triple wrapped in baggies.

It was not meant as an angry throw down. It was meant to show them what was coming from the barrel.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I bought this gun from a very reputable LEO supply store. I was advised by them to ship the patches. They were triple wrapped in baggies.

It was not meant as an angry throw down. It was meant to show them what was coming from the barrel.
    Understood. But you could have gotten the same point across by simply enclosing a picture of the patches. I think that store gave you some bad advice. Once the solvent is no longer in its original sealed container, I do not think it is legal to ship. And oil/solvent soaked patches are VERY flammable (depending on which solvent you are using).
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Irate may not be the best approach.
    OldVet and gatorbait51 like this.

I dunno. It's purely cosmetic. Probably not that big of a deal. But man, I just don't think it's right to have all that stuff on an as yet unfired gun. I thought I was very clear about my complaint. Seems like they didn't even address it.

If I knew what would remove it, I'd do it myself.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    . Irate may not be the best approach.
    Keep in mind, it's already been back once.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

IBTL.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Keep in mind, it's already been back once.
    And returned with absolutely no functional flaws.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    IBTL.
    Yeah, you're probably right. Lock it up. Been a long day.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

OK, sending solvent soaked patches...wasnt good. Google "Spontaneous combustion". I wont even keep used patches in the house, or in the inside trash. They generally get wet down, put in a baggy, and put outside to be disposed of.

Aside from that, if I understand the OP correctly, he bought the best of the best 870. He got the LE model. Which is really known for being something very good. They actually have a special section of the factory set aside to build and refine those models. They are not built along side the other 870s.

I dont know what his gun looked like when he got it, so its really hard to comment on it. Pictures might help this thread a lot.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    Irate may not be the best approach.
    Irate always gets the job done.. You will probably get a brand new barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Quote Originally Posted by cbirchem0724 View Post
    Irate always gets the job done.. You will probably get a brand new barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Second such post on a second forum about Remington.

Another had a 5.56 that went back 3 times for accuracy issues. Second return was with a "new barrel" (Remington confirmed that there was an accuracy problem with the barrel) that included new dings and scratches in the upper, Barrel finish was also marred, and a set of worn out sights (wobbly, also worn) - not the ones it came with.

After a nasty letter included with the rifle on the third trip, as well a phone call, it returned in the exact same condition, and the same set of worn out sights. Less than 100 round fired by the owner and it looks like it's 4 years old and ridden hard.

Remington is now issuing a full refund. FWIW - the accuracy was only mildly improved -like 4 MOA, down from 7 MOA. Not shooter error or ammo related either.
    gatorbait51 and StormRhydr like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I would have returned it to the place I bought it and asked them to ship it back for me........what ever is on that bbl....should come off with the proper cleaning agent unless it's in the finish......
    OldVet and gatorbait51 like this.

One of the bigger gun stores here that supplies local LE also will rent any gun in the store. So, buying a new rifle or shotgun, it might have a couple hundred rounds through it, or more. Irritating that they do that. They had a suicide with a rental right before the last scare. After that, they set up a cabinet of rental guns and I don't believe they rent all of their inventory any longer.

I've heard of many more that do this.... Maybe that was the case with your's and why it was so dirty?

Having said that, I've bought new rifles online with nothing but the factory test fire ammo through it and they've been filthy as well, so who knows.

Personally, i just don't care how my guns look, though I prefer to be the one that beats them up and not buy them new that way.
    gatorbait51 and multistage like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links