Another newbie AR-15 rifle question. S&W mp15

This is a discussion on Another newbie AR-15 rifle question. S&W mp15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok folks, Just starting to look into the possibility (just possibility not absolutely sure yet) of getting an AR in future. The S&W mp15 seems ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Another newbie AR-15 rifle question. S&W mp15

Ok folks, Just starting to look into the possibility (just possibility not absolutely sure yet) of getting an AR in future. The S&W mp15 seems to be one of the best price ones out there. I'm currently reading (just started today )"The AR-15, volume 4" by Patrick Sweeney", to learn all I can. Does anyone have any experience with this particular model of AR-15? I've always enjoyed more traditional rifles but honestly only own my Rem 597 and my Marlin 336. There are several traditional rifles that spark my interest that I may ask about later as I don't know if the quality is there on them like they use to be but am really curious about AR right now.

In the $700-$1000 range, they are IMHO one of the best values out there. The M&P 15 Sport can sometimes be found for $650 or so. It lacks the forward assist and chrome-lined barrel, but is going to be the best "hobby" rifle you'll find for the money.

If your budget will allow for a little over $1100, the next step up would be a Colt LE6920. Last I checked, it was about $1150 at Walmart. And it's a Colt.

I've got an M&P 15OR and an LE6920. There's no immediately obvious difference in quality, but gut instinct says the Colt is the better of the two. Plus, my LE6920 is the Magpul version, so it feels better in the hands and seems to fit me a little better. I'd buy another S&W in a heartbeat, though, if it fit the budget better than the Colt.

CORRECTION: The LE6920 is under $1100 at Wally World. About $1070 IIRC. The Magpul version ran $70-$80 more.
    Last edited by Kilowatt3; January 23rd, 2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Correct pricing info.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

M&P15 will treat you right. I haven't specifically had any experience with the M&P, but as far as function and operation goes, ARs are pretty much all the same.
    Eric357 and GSDSchutzhund like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I think the M&P 15 would be a great first AR! Just do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eric357 and pittypat21 like this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    The M&P Sport is a good choice for an entry level AR. I have been very pleased with mine! I also highly recommend its' little brother, the M&P 15-22! It is an excellent trainer for the full size AR. BTW, for a little more than the M&P you can get a PSA which are also a great value. Good luck!
    Eric357 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Go for it.
    Eric357 likes this.

Yeah, I have one of their first ones. Non sport model.

It runs brass cased ammo flawlessly, as well as doing great with a .22 Lr conversion kit.

It has not been very good on steel cased ammo.

Other than that, its been a darn fine rifle.
    Eric357 likes this.

Colt is "top of the line"; just as Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. are. When your livelihood depend on getting there fastest, those are the ones to get.
    S&W is a good 'working quality' gun. It's well made, thoroughly inspected, and has great warranty service. If you want a gun for a lifetime of shooting where you might, maybe, possibly, just have to shoot that one guy who needs killin', S&W will work fine. I made my choice and I got a S&W M&P 15T. Today, I'd go for a 15TS.

If I had my druthers though... I'd go with whatever I could find that had a mid-length gas system and full length forearm (especially the new KeyMod system). Actually, I'd probably just go out and build my own (assembly is easier than some jigsaw puzzles I've seen!) and whatever I couldn't assemble (barrel torque) is easily enough done at a 'smith's.
    Eric357 and atctimmy like this.

Thanks guys. I'll keep checking back. I'm not in a big hurry. Like I said I just started seriously considering one. Several months back I asked a question about them but never really started to seriously consider one until recently. The wife bought me the book I mentioned as part of my Christmas ,but its been sitting on the shelf. Today the internet was down for several hours so I decided to read a bit since decided to stay in today.Too darn cold. Was -1 without wind chill this morning.

A build down the road is not out of the question. I need to do more research before I attempt something like that.

I just picked mine last week, from these guys $550 otd for a m&p ar15 sport is unheard of. Had it sent to my local gun shop cost me $25 transfer. Great deal highly recommended

http://www.georgiagunstore.com/home-page.html
    Eric357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Colt is "top of the line"; just as Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. are. When your livelihood depend on getting there fastest, those are the ones to get.
    S&W is a good 'working quality' gun. It's well made, thoroughly inspected, and has great warranty service. If you want a gun for a lifetime of shooting where you might, maybe, possibly, just have to shoot that one guy who needs killin', S&W will work fine. I made my choice and I got a S&W M&P 15T. Today, I'd go for a 15TS.

If I had my druthers though... I'd go with whatever I could find that had a mid-length gas system and full length forearm (especially the new KeyMod system). Actually, I'd probably just go out and build my own (assembly is easier than some jigsaw puzzles I've seen!) and whatever I couldn't assemble (barrel torque) is easily enough done at a 'smith's.
    Only if you drink the Kool-Aid

Get the M&P, it's as good or better than the Colt at a better price and S&W service is second to none.
    aguenthe and SwordMaster like this.

VIP Member
    The thing about ARs is that it all comes down to price. When you can buy a Colt 6920 (the gold standard) for around $900 it's hard to recommend a S&W M&P15. I had one and it was a great AR 15 but it's spec sheet wasn't on par with a Colt.

So it really comes down to price. If you can get the M&P 15 for $700 or less then I say go for it. Once you get above $700 then I'd say spend a little more and get a Colt.

The M&P series rifle are very nice, not top shelf but nice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrJekell View Post
    Only if you drink the Kool-Aid

Get the M&P, it's as good or better than the Colt at a better price and S&W service is second to none.
    No, they're not. The spec sheet doesn't lie. Heck, I like the M&P 15 rifles and I don't want to bash them, but it's a fib to say that they are the same.
    Eric357, sammage and DontTreadOnI like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    I wouldn't say Colt is top of the line. It's good, but top of the line is LMT, Daniel Defense, etc.

*Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Sorry if there are any errors.*
    CLASS3NH and bigdogtx like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Windham Weaponry rifles are great choices too.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links