A good video from Travis Haley on the .300 Blackout

This is a discussion on A good video from Travis Haley on the .300 Blackout within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: A good video from Travis Haley on the .300 Blackout

VIP Member

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

That's a good video. A lot of discussion on m4c and lightfighter about it. Some doubt the long range shooting, but once you know the hold, it's not that big of a deal.

I absolutely love my blackout. It's growing on me more and more. Now after SHOT and handling the KAC 762 CQB mini suppressor, that's high on my list of wants for this next year.
    HotGuns and Christopher67 like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Hey John. What would your choice be for an over the counter AR in .300 BO either rifle or upper? I would like one suppressor ready but a standard 16" would be fine.

I have looked at several I know what I like in a 5.56 but have noticed some have 1/7 some 1/8 and various gas systems, any one better than the other?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Matt (munch520) and I were just talking about this as he's getting ready to do one too. A number of manufacturers offer different barrel lengths, no all the same like 5.56. I have to say, my 9" AAC is a great barrel. It's nitrided and not lined. Very accurate, almost sub moa with the right ammo, and very reliable. Unlike 5.56, you lose little going shorter and there's very little blast or concussion. Below are some numbers for drop and where it's still within the expansion threshold.

if I was buying an upper right now, it would be hard not to buy the AAC or Centurion Arms. AAC is offered in a 9" barrel while the centurion is available in 7.5" and 10.5". Noveske makes stainless and CHF barrels. They're available as 8.5", 10.5" and up. All are available as 14.5" and/or 16".

Knight's Armament is offering a 9.5" and 14.5" only I believe. The 9.5" will work perfectly with their new keymod URX 4 8.5" handguard. But, this upper is about $1,800 due to the e3 bolt and barrel extension, which is about $550 or so if the BCG was bought separately. Honestly not sure how much of advantage this is, especially on 300blk which has lower pressures than 5.56. It also includes the micro BUIS, which are about a $300 addition. So, the BCG and BUIS make us the extra $750 over the AAC or Centurion.

I'd like the URX 4 with mine, but I'm using a 9" barrel. So, if I decide to suppress it, I won't have the clearance needed (unless the base of the suppressor can fit just under the front of the 8.5" URX 4).

Daniel Defense I'm sure has some good options, but I'm just not sure of their offerings. There's also some less expensive options out there, but not sure how they do their gas ports and how they compare to their 5.56 offerings.

It if I was buying a pinned 14.5" or 16", I'd very likely go with the AAC or Noveske CHF. The centurion would be a good choice as well and it would come down to availability between those three. That and price would be my deciding factor. The KAC would be nice, and I don't mind the extra for the BUIS since I use KAC anyway, but the e3 BCG adds a lot to the price.

300blk Barnes 110gr TTSX Black Tip .264 1,300fps
    Velocity - 9" 2,120fps | 16" 2,390
    Expansion Threshold - 9" 335y | 16" 430y
    Trajectory with 50/zero
    9" 50/135z | 100y +0.9" | 150y -0.9" | 200y -5.5" | 300y -26" | 400y -65"
    16" 50/170z | 100y +1.5" | 150y +0.7" | 200y -2.4" | 300y -16.8" | 400y -45"
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I'm on the bandwagon - barrel shipped this AM and Jon and I are collaborating to try and source short suppressors.

My goal is to build a relatively quiet setup, with length being the 'hard metric'. Kevin at Knights has confirmed for me that a 9" with KACs new CQB can and subs is quieter than my 11.5" 5.56 + SF -212 suppressor. So that's great news.

Core15 9.5" stainless barrel with Nitromet treatment
    Low profile GB
    Noveske NSR 9" or KAC URX 3.1 8"
    VLTOR MUR1A upper
    BCM BCG
    BCM CH
    AAC Mini7 or Knights QDC CQB and associated mount
    Aimpoint micro with irons
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

I'm really leaning towards that AAC mini 7 because of the gargantuan flash hiders used by KAC for the 762 cans. Unless I can get a suppressor to fly at work, I can't go with a dedicated suppressed setup. We'll see.

Matt, are you certain the suppressor will work with only .5" clearance?

Here's my AAC with a T1 and a Leupold VX-R I'm buying from Matt. This is a 9" barrel, 8" KAC URX 3.1 and AAC blackout flash hider.

Until i I get a scout ultra and see if it works. The x300 ultra offset with a tape switch is the best setup for me so I don't extend past the flash hider. If I can run it suppressed all the time and it works well with Black Tip or future supersonic ammo, then I'll run a scout extended farther out since it won't extend past the suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I'm really leaning towards that AAC mini 7 because of the gargantuan flash hiders used by KAC for the 762 cans. Unless I can get a suppressor to fly at work, I can't go with a dedicated suppressed setup. We'll see.

Matt, are you certain the suppressor will work with only .5" clearance?
    With the KAC it's a mystery. The mini 7, like the Surefire non-reflex QD, needs 0.7" so no it would not work. Once I have the barrel back from Nitromet treatment, I'll probably order both rails to confirm though.

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Senior Moderator
    Good video.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    With the KAC it's a mystery. The mini 7, like the Surefire non-reflex QD, needs 0.7" so no it would not work. Once I have the barrel back from Nitromet treatment, I'll probably order both rails to confirm though.
    What treatment? Why are you doing that? How much is it, because you might get an AAC for the same price as that barrel and the work.

Robert, I'm not sure about the twist rate. I know mine is a 1:7 and it stabilizes everything well from the short barrel. I'll we what I can find and post back.

For or a complete upper or rifle, I'd probably lean towards a Noveske with their NSR handguard or AAC if they start using a keymod instead of the URX 3. I really like the URX 3, but would prefer the URX 4 or other keymod. Centurion is great but might take a while to get and don't come as complete rifles right now.

I use the vltor a5 with mine and it's extremely reliable, little muzzle rise and reliably runs and locks back with with supers and subs. It wasn't as consistent with a carbine RE and H2 buffer, but was still completely reliable.... just didn't lock back on subs unsuppressed.

What treatment? Why are you doing that? How much is it, because you might get an AAC for the same price as that barrel and the work.
    Increases service life minimum of 35% over standard stainless. Harder than hard chrome and it's a metal mod so tolerances/dimensions are unchanged. It's like $75. So I'm still nowhere near an AAC barrel. ($265 + $75)

And my mad scientist side is kicking in...might cut a 9" NSR back to 8.75"

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Increases service life minimum of 35% over standard stainless. Harder than hard chrome and it's a metal mod so tolerances/dimensions are unchanged. It's like $75. So I'm still nowhere near an AAC barrel.

And my mad scientist side is kicking in...might cut a 9" NSR back to 8.75"
    The longer I know you, the more insane I believe you are!

So, the Core15 is a stainless barrel? I can't believe I missed that when reading about it.

How similar is that to hard black nitride like the AAC?

The longer I know you, the more insane I believe you are!

So, the Core15 is a stainless barrel? I can't believe I missed that when reading about it.

How similar is that to hard black nitride like the AAC?
    Yep 416r, Douglas blank. I believe it is the same/results in the same hardness. It's also slicker than hard chrome.

http://domino-69.prominic.net/A55B6F...arburizing.pdf

Oh, that's right about the Douglas blank. I forgot. Yeah, sounds like the same thing as nitride.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links