RDS mounted on scope?

RDS mounted on scope?

This is a discussion on RDS mounted on scope? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was watching Lone Survivor and I noticed that there was a RDS mounted to the top of the scope. I had been looking for a ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: RDS mounted on scope?

RDS mounted on scope?

Was watching Lone Survivor and I noticed that there was a RDS mounted to the top of the scope.

I had been looking for a solution to having both a RDS and scope on a AR.

So with a Nikon P223, is this possible to do? Specific scope or RDS needed, or just anything in general?

If anyone has experience, I would appreciate hearing pros and cons, and if possible, any links to brands that work together. Thanks

Pretty much any brands will work together.

Buy your scope, use an appropriately sized mount for the tube diameter, mount the RDS.

I personally think that this kind of set up is rather bulky, and not my preferred method, although it is popular in 3 gun.

I would prefer to have an illuminated reticle option on my scope that I can use on the low end of the power spectrum. It is extra weight, and extra bulk on the gun. I generally already run my AR's with an optic and BUIS's already, and personally don't feel the need to add a third sighting system to the mix.

EDIT: You can also use a mount like the Burris P.E.P.R. for your scope, and then the integrated picatinny rails on top for the RDS.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks for the quick response. The Burris PEPR looks to be the ticket, too bad the Nikon came with mounts already...

VIP Member
    The Mk12 that they showed is a gun full of compromises that ends up doing a lot of things very well. For most of us we don't have a mission that requires precision distance shots from the same platform that we may find ourselves using in a CQB situation. If you see that as a possibility for you, then following the way they had the guns set up isn't a horrible idea. The added bulk and weight may be offset by the ability to do multiple things for you.

Personally I find the red dot is simply too high to work well for me on that kind of setup. I'm not good at going between a cheek weld and a jaw weld and end up with my face in a position where I'm not looking through either site. YMMV
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I'd use an offset mini RMR type optic or even offset irons before mounting on top of an optic. It works, but I've found it too high for me to use regularly. Maybe with more practice, I'd learn to like it, but a 45 degree red dot is quicker and more natural for me.
    Echo_Four, airslot and sammage like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    The Mk12 that they showed is a gun full of compromises that ends up doing a lot of things very well. For most of us we don't have a mission that requires precision distance shots from the same platform that we may find ourselves using in a CQB situation. If you see that as a possibility for you, then following the way they had the guns set up isn't a horrible idea. The added bulk and weight may be offset by the ability to do multiple things for you.

Personally I find the red dot is simply too high to work well for me on that kind of setup. I'm not good at going between a cheek weld and a jaw weld and end up with my face in a position where I'm not looking through either site. YMMV
    By the time I got to mess around with a Mk-12, they didn't come with RMR's. They had a Leupold 2.5-10x that had an illuminated dot.

We did get in some SAWs, that had some ACOG variant, as well as RMR mounted on top of them. That set up exaggerated the cheek weld issues, and the RMR was utterly useless.
    Echo_Four likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I'd use an offset mini RMR type optic or even offset irons before mounting on top of an optic. It works, but I've found it too high for me to use regularly. Maybe with more practice, I'd learn to like it, but a 45 degree red dot is quicker and more natural for me.
    This, an offset RMR would be great. Ive used them mounted on top of ACOG's and getting a proper cheek weld is a huge pain in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    +1 on this, the 45 degree mount IMO is a much easier and ergonomic setup to shoot with
    3622d1328969269-trijicon-rmr-red-dots-ar-15-offset.jpg
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

VIP Member
    When my SCAR is set up for long range I have a Docter RDS mounted in a scope ring set at a 45 degree cant on the 4-16 optic. It works well for emergency use.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Was watching Lone Survivor and I noticed that there was a RDS mounted to the top of the scope.

I had been looking for a solution to having both a RDS and scope on a AR.

So with a Nikon P223, is this possible to do? Specific scope or RDS needed, or just anything in general?

If anyone has experience, I would appreciate hearing pros and cons, and if possible, any links to brands that work together. Thanks
    Two ways to do this. Trijicon offers the ACOG that allows a scope to have their RMR (ruggedized miniature reflex) mounted on top, OR they offer an offset or 45 degree angled mount (both) for the RMR as well, so your scope can be centered over the top rail, and the holo sight can be off to the side of the scope, still parallax free.
    I use the Trijicon RMR RMR07-34 on one of my ARs and love it.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Links