Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

This is a discussion on Tactical Shotguns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ladies and Gents Its about that time of the year! Taxes are coming around, legislation is being talked about, and I'm getting the itch for ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

Ladies and Gents

Its about that time of the year! Taxes are coming around, legislation is being talked about, and I'm getting the itch for a tactical shotgun. Naturally, I'm gravitating towards a Benelli M4 (I am, my wallet and wife aren't). I was hoping to see some of what y'all have in your stables. I've done some research regarding "Top 5,10" tactical shotguns and they all seem to mention the mossberg 500, remington and Benelli. I've also taken an interest in the supernova. Main use is going to be home defense, but it will ocassionally see range time and 3 gun competition. Any pics or comments, please feel free to give them!

Thanks.
    Kyle

Mine is a Benelli SuperNova Tactical. It replaced a Mossberg 590 Mariner that I bought for $100 in 1986 and sold for $300 a few months ago.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I think the popular suggestions will be the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870, both being fine weapons for their intended use. Personally, I would take either without question if my loving son were to offer me one! Hint-hint, sonny!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Between the 870 Express and 500, I think it is pretty much a toss up. The 870 is maybe just a hair better built, but the Mossberg has more ambidextrous friendly controls. Those are the most common entry level guns.

Either has more aftermarket support than the Nova, if you want to customize it. I like to keep my HD shotguns fairly simple, with a normal stock, side saddle and sling, but some people like to go crazy on theirs.

If I was going to just own one shotgun, I would get an 870 combo, with a short barrel, and long barrel. This will cover anything from HD, to hunting and sporting clays. One advantage of the 870 over the 500 is that it is easier to put a mag tube extension on. So you could put it on with the short barrel for HD/3 Gun, and then use the normal mag with a plug for hunting with the long barrel.
    fredg53, ctr and Secret Spuk like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think the popular suggestions will be the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870, both being fine weapons for their intended use. Personally, I would take either without question if my loving son were to offer me one! Hint-hint, sonny!

Both have solid reputations, the Mossy will be cheaper though.

I would say Saiga and Veper for me is the best Tac gun out there .. Smooth it out and put in a 20-28 drum mag and boy howday... my-s12.jpg

But they suck in CA so I would skip that ... I would say the m4 or any other Benile be a good choice or a 870 police www.galleryofguns.com - Gun Genie - Davidson's most popular and powerful search engine to find and buy guns at galleryofguns.com

I personal like the old trech shotguns from way back the 37 Itahac and the old 12 and 97 winny as you can slam fire them

Top Five Home Defense Shotguns

me I am not a master of the shotgun but by my undersadnint at least for Rem the older ones are better ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I went with the 590.
    Kavalander likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Between the 870 Express and 500, I think it is pretty much a toss up. The 870 is maybe just a hair better built, but the Mossberg has more ambidextrous friendly controls. Those are the most common entry level guns.

Either has more aftermarket support than the Nova, if you want to customize it. I like to keep my HD shotguns fairly simple, with a normal stock, side saddle and sling, but some people like to go crazy on theirs.

If I was going to just own one shotgun, I would get an 870 combo, with a short barrel, and long barrel. This will cover anything from HD, to hunting and sporting clays. One advantage of the 870 over the 500 is that it is easier to put a mag tube extension on. So you could put it on with the short barrel for HD/3 Gun, and then use the normal mag with a plug for hunting with the long barrel.
    This^^^^^^^^

Check out the Mossberg 930, perhaps the FNH SLP. They're both gaining traction in 3 Gun Competition & offer less-expensive alternatives to the Benelli M4 for auto-loading tactical shotguns.
    OD* likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have the Mossberg 590A1. Works perfect for my needs.
    nralifer4570 and Kavalander like this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Mine is a Benelli SuperNova Tactical. It replaced a Mossberg 590 Mariner that I bought for $100 in 1986 and sold for $300 a few months ago.
    LC, Any pictures? If I can fall in love in with the Supernova, I'll save the $1,200 and go with that lol

Distinguished Member
    I use a slightly modified Rem 870 (made it into a wood stock LE) 18.5"
    Years ago carried an Ithica 37. Liked the slam fire feature. Much better than the Win 97 Trench gun.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post

Exactly what I do.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by GSDSchutzhund View Post
    LC, Any pictures? If I can fall in love in with the Supernova, I'll save the $1,200 and go with that lol
    SuperNova Tactical Pump Shotgun | Benelli USA
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    The easy way is always mined.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links