Sling mounts for Colt AR

Sling mounts for Colt AR

This is a discussion on Sling mounts for Colt AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, I'm new to ARs. I bought a Colt 6920 with magpul furniture. I got the ms3 sling with a quick od release on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sling mounts for Colt AR

Sling mounts for Colt AR

Hi,

I'm new to ARs. I bought a Colt 6920 with magpul furniture. I got the ms3 sling with a quick od release on the back and a clip on the front.

I'm looking for ideas on how to mount this. I'll probably use the magpul sling loop that screws directly onto the handguard.

For the back, I don't want to break the staking on the castle nut, so i'm looking for an adapter that slips on. I know that troy and Midwest industries make them. Are one of these better than the other? Any other options?
    Will they prevent me from fully collapsing the stock?

To the best of my knowledge, the sling mounts will not prevent you from fully collapsing the stock. This has been my experience, but of course I can't speak for all the different sling mounts out there.

If you're worried about it, I'd say the best thing you can do, especially since you are new to ARs, is just take the rifle to a reputable gunsmith that can install an adapter for you and can deal with any castle nut issues.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Lead Moderator
    I personally would rather have the rear mount under the castle nut just to really secure it. I use the front loop mount on my rifle and it works well (although does rattle and make noise).
    pittypat21, 5lima30ret and Aceoky like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone2015 View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to ARs. I bought a Colt 6920 with magpul furniture. I got the ms3 sling with a quick od release on the back and a clip on the front.

I'm looking for ideas on how to mount this. I'll probably use the magpul sling loop that screws directly onto the handguard.

For the back, I don't want to break the staking on the castle nut, so i'm looking for an adapter that slips on. I know that troy and Midwest industries make them. Are one of these better than the other? Any other options?
    Will they prevent me from fully collapsing the stock?
    Impact weapons components makes great sling, light, and other mount solutions for the GI/MOE handguards.

For the rear, a Tangodown PR4 would work well if you don't want to hassle with castle nut removal. They clamp right over the receiver extension. Or, if it's time for a stock upgrade - get one with QD sockets and you're good to go.

If you take it to a smith for any RE, make sure he's competent. Make sure he doesn't re-use your end plate, make sure he uses grease on the RE threads, etc.

ETA: I realize he'd probably be replacing the end plate anyway with a QD socket version...but just throwing that out there as so called gunsmiths sometimes really F up when working on that part of the M4/AR.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, the sling mounts will not prevent you from fully collapsing the stock. This has been my experience, but of course I can't speak for all the different sling mounts out there.

If you're worried about it, I'd say the best thing you can do, especially since you are new to ARs, is just take the rifle to a reputable gunsmith that can install an adapter for you and can deal with any castle nut issues.
    A number of the adapters do prevent you from fully collapsing. And even if it's a QD endplate, once the QD socket is installed it will likely obstruct the stock and prevent it from collapsing as well.

But if you're a normal-sized human, I can't see why you'd want it fully collapsed
    pittypat21 likes this.

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    But if you're a normal-sized human, I can't see why you'd want it fully collapsed
    Agreed. I can't count the number of times on one hand that I've shot my carbine with the stock fully collapsed. Because I never have. And I don't have zero fingers.

*Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Sorry if there are any errors.*
    munch520 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

LOL!

On my Colt 14.5" with KAC RAS and when I had my rifles with RIS II's (none of these have built in qd sockets) I run the DD QD adapter on the left rail near the barrel nut. KAC also makes a good one and anything by IWC. For the moe, IWC would be my first choice. I've installed a few of these for friends and I really like them.

For the rear, I really prefer a QD end plate for my needs. It allows a high ready, high port, compression for manipulations, etc without having to let out the sling or neck loop it. It took me a while to get comfortable with this setup though and had to adjust sliders to put them in ideal positions so they're out of the way or not pressing on my collar bone.

Colt receiver extensions are some of the biggest pains to remove. They are really on there. If you can do this, IWC and Noveske both make compact QD end plates. I run the Noveske.

The Tango Down is nice because it's an easy install, but it forces you to choose a side for the rear attachment point and it's a little bulky.

For most uses, I really like the rear point attached to the outside of the stock. It's secure and easy to switch shoulders, plus you can pull it tight to aid off hand accuracy. The end plate attachment is also very secure and once you get used to it, there are little tricks to hold the rifle tight like tucking the stock under the sling or flipping the rifle port side out.

Another great eat option is Mossie Tactics new QD sling loops. They loop onto the hand guard near the barrel nut and the end plate. They have QD attachments for the sling or you can remove them for use on another rifle. They're also great for rifles that are typically a pain to sling correctly like some shotguns and AKs.

Blueforce Gear has had something similar for a while but they are not QD compatible.

i used to run my rifles in the second position (one out from fully collapsed). Now I run them in position 4 or 6 with stocks like the CTR or position 3 of 6 with the SOPMOD since it does not have an angled rear.
    pittypat21 and Aceoky like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    The Tango Down is nice because it's an easy install, but it forces you to choose a side for the rear attachment point and it's a little bulky.
    It's definitely bulky, but there is a center option. So left, right, and center QD sockets.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I picked up an ambi-sling mount from CDNN for about $8. BTW, I installed it on my M&P-15 and the collapsible stock works fine. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

It's definitely bulky, but there is a center option. So left, right, and center QD sockets.

I was looking at the asap adapter from magpul, but based on what I saw on youtube, it looks like a major pita to install

It's similar to using a QD end plate but you need to install a small piece that acts like the tiny extension on an end plate. That part is a pain.

The ASAP was ok when single point slings were popular a few or more years back but I wouldn't want one for a two point sling. I much prefer a QD end plate.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Yeah I would ditch the ASAP idea.

Yeah I would ditch the ASAP idea.
    the tango down pr4 is twice the price of similar products from troy and Midwest industries, is it worth the extra money?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone2015 View Post
    the tango down pr4 is twice the price of similar products from troy and Midwest industries, is it worth the extra money?
    There's one on eBay for $70! I am thinking of getting it so I don't have to have gs mount ($) my ASAP but it is pricey alright.

UTG makes a similar one for $31. eBay again. More my price range.

I also found some straps with a D ring that loop into the Colt stock handle for about $10.

The quality and price range seem to coincide with the range of defense to "for fun".
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links