Stevens Single Shot 12ga?

This is a discussion on Stevens Single Shot 12ga? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at the LGS and there was an old Stevens single shot 12ga that looked lonely. I felt bad for it, but can't decide ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By 5lima30ret

Thread: Stevens Single Shot 12ga?

Stevens Single Shot 12ga?

I was at the LGS and there was an old Stevens single shot 12ga that looked lonely. I felt bad for it, but can't decide whether or not to give it a good home. It's kind of hard to pass on a $100 gun...

Anyone know anything good or bad about the Stevens brand?
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Savage Stevens has always made decent utility grade rifles and shotguns. When I was growing up every farmhouse had a single shot shotgun (usually a 12ga or 16ga) leaning up in a corner in the kitchen. Many a kid learned to hunt with a single shot shotgun! Enjoy your "new" shotgun!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member
    Buy it! Numerich has any replacement part that you may need in the future.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member
    I've had a Savage Stevens single shot .410 for nearly 50 years. It still looks nearly new, reliable, well made and fun to shoot.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Lead Moderator
    12 gauge single shot is gonna have a nice kick to it. Solid gun though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

A Stevens 20 ga was my first shotgun, for my 12th Xmas. And it saw a fair amount of use. Its my son's, now. And will probably be his son's, one day.

Still as good as it ever was.

Mine isnt a Stevens, but I have an old single shot 12ga that I got from a friend. His grandpa bought it from an auto parts store back in the 60s. It still shoots great.

A single shot 12ga isnt flashy, tacticool, or even very fun to shoot (3" 00 buck from a light gun with a plain wood buttpad = ouch), but it still puts a 12ga shell down range. Its great to keep around the house or even in your vehicle for a utility, general purpose gun. Whether its hunting, pest control, or putting an injured animal out of its misery, it will do the job.

I've got a Setvens Champion 20 Ga single that my Dad bought new in the late 30's. He carried it for many Dove hunts, and now, it gets the honor of dropping the first Dove of each new season. I'm not as good with it as he was, but it's still fun to shoot.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I recently bought the modern rendition of the single shot 20 ga. Its an H&R Tamer. Its my knock around ATV/ truck gun.
    IMG_0150.jpg
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

100 Bucks would buy a dozen at one time. Those things are every where. I bet we have at least 10 of the in old boxes.

Links