Wish I had or wish I had a shotgun at the time

This is a discussion on Wish I had or wish I had a shotgun at the time within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just a question. For strictly self defense purposes. How many folks here have said to themselves I wished I'd have had or wished that I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Wish I had or wish I had a shotgun at the time

Wish I had or wish I had a shotgun at the time

Just a question. For strictly self defense purposes. How many folks here have said to themselves I wished I'd have had or wished that I had a shotgun? At any time for any reason. Elaborate. Thanks.
    Carry means carry. That means all of the time. If you don't, you're just kidding yourself and opening up options for someone to take you down.

2. Remove Ads

Meaning, "I don't have one but I WISH I did?" Not sure I understand the question.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Well, I guess I was in that position. I wished I had a shotgun, so I went to Scheel's and bought an 870 Tactical. Does this count?
    Alex_C, Eric357 and Rattlehead like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Meaning, "I don't have one but I WISH I did?" Not sure I understand the question.
    I mean was there ever a time when you said to yourself that a shotgun is something you should have or should have had in a certain situation for self defense?
    Carry means carry. That means all of the time. If you don't, you're just kidding yourself and opening up options for someone to take you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Well, I guess I was in that position. I wished I had a shotgun, so I went to Scheel's and bought an 870 Tactical. Does this count?
    Sure it counts. But why?
    For the totally self defense/home defense folks, I guess the question is would you be without a shotgun in your tool box (arsenal)?
    Know it might be confusing as to the original question. It's a means to an end for me though. Maybe get me up to speed on the best reasons for owning a shotgun other than 3-gun comps?

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    Sure it counts. But why?
    For the totally self defense/home defense folks, I guess the question is would you be without a shotgun in your tool box (arsenal)?
    Know it might be confusing as to the original question. It's a means to an end for me though. Maybe get me up to speed on the best reasons for owning a shotgun other than 3-gun comps?
    Ok I get I think where your coming from I hope. For HD in general, if all you have is a 20 ga or 12 ga pump or semi auto shotgun you are well armed. No handgun will and few rifles one would use in the house have as much firepower per round with 00 or 000 buck as either one.

And yeah the times Ive had to deal with a viscious stray dog in my yard that wont leave and doesnt want to let me out of the house the shotgun with 00buck is the go to.
    Work just as well on 2 legged varmints. Shorter is better. I cut my teeth as a kid on on a 12 ga so Ive always naturally had one around.
    Kavalander and StormRhydr like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

So would anyone serious about SD/HD want to be without a shotgun if they had one? Is the shotgun necessary for the well rounded self defense folks? Fill a niche, or primary thinking? Knowing that I have one just isn't enough reason for me to keep one in the safe at the moment.

So would anyone serious about SD/HD want to be without a shotgun if they had one? Is the shotgun necessary for the well rounded self defense folks? Fill a niche, or primary thinking? Knowing that I have one just isn't enough reason for me to keep one in the safe at the moment.

Well if its in a safe its not likely to do you any more good than any other gun thats in a safe if you need it right then.

But I digress. Heres what I have and Im good with it as far as being able to defend my home. And SKS, 2 12ga shotguns, 2 9mm pistols and 22 semi auto.

The pistols stay on me and the wife respectively all the time or by the bed in arms reach of both of us. The shotgun is about 3 feet away on my side of the bed in the corner. I wont go into the others since you interested in shotguns. None are in a safe though.

I would not be without the shotgun regardless of the SKS being here as far HD. Theres little going to be in or around your house unless Grizzlys or Bigfoot happen to frequent your area and invade homes that the 12 or 20 ga with 00 000 or slugs wont deal with handily.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member
    The shotgun by my bed is my go to home defense weapon. 00 buck in a 12 is a true manstopper. And it is less lethal after traveling through a bad guy and a couple of walls. Less collateral damage worries. Not completely safe but in my mind much safer than my 30.06. I also have a 9 in a push button combo safe in the bed drawer. My 12 is a semi auto but lacks 15+ rounds. Good to have a backup plan.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

So would anyone serious about SD/HD want to be without a shotgun if they had one?
    Depends on the layout of the homestead, but I'd say most folks would agree that a shotgun in a SD situation at moderate distances is darned hard to beat. Plenty of people handle sidearms much more easily than a shotgun. But for me the shotgun has a solid place in the SD lineup. Where a long gun makes sense to deploy, personally I'd much rather have the shotgun. In all other situations, my sidearm is my first go-to weapon (given proficiency, convenience/speed of access). But, like many say, if near my long gun (shotgun), it's only to get me to that gun anyway.

Remington 870P 12ga #1 or #00 buck, or similar ... should get the job done.
    A decent semi-auto version of the same ... should get the job done even faster.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yep and if the 12 is a little to much recoil wise or if the wife is going to use it and she dreads the 12ga you really dont lose anything as far as HD distances go by going with a 20 ga using 00buck or 000 buck. No use going to the magnum stuff or super dupper long shells. Plain high brass 00 000 buck will get the job done with no fuss. Likely quite a bit of muss but not fuss.

I was shooting at a snake in my back yard with a 22 revolver once and sure wished I had a shotgun at the time.

PS. I got the job done with a 22, but it would have been a lot simpler with a shotty.
    fredg53 and Rock and Glock like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

A good shotgun is a must have for social work, can't get anything better. Mine is an as issued Win. mod 97. A slick working gun.

No never wished I had one. Until a clay pigeon launcher manifests itself in front of me I doubt I'll ever utter those words.

The Glock 19 is with me all the time and it fills most roles. At home that is with me, as is the SBR. Have no want/need for a SG.

Since we're going down the HD/SD road again...it's time for the reminder that the SG/00buck is not the ballisitically perfect load everyone thinks it is. The slower moving, higher energy buck will always penetrate further than much smaller, faster moving rifle rounds.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

M590A1 at the ready.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links