Stringing It

This is a discussion on Stringing It within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone ever string buckshot? fltsfshr...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Stringing It

Stringing It

Anyone ever string buckshot?

fltsfshr

2. Remove Ads

Maybe I should rephrase this. Ever reloaded buckshot strung together with mono filament fishing line?

I have an Ithaca slug thrower. I was wondering how the new braided lines would work out. They don't stretch but you could get more breaking strength in a smaller diameter line.

fltsfshr

Distinguished Member
    I wouldn't do it for one simple reason. Legal ramifications should you have to have a day (or months) in court.
    You would be shredded by the prosecutor. Stick to off-the-shelf shells for SD.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I believe that's called slung shot. Braided steel wire is used not fishing line. Im pretty sure it's illegal in Florida and might be in your state as well.

What is the intent of tying the pellets together? Whatever advantage this is supposed to achieve, has anyone actually successfully demonstrated that this works?
    Aceoky and Eric357 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It's a trick I learned in Vietnam. At that time we were using 60# monofiliment and a shot splitter. In heavy tropical foliage, it would open a field of fire in the jungle. I'm redoing my old ithaca slug thrower into a defensive after the hurricane weapon. It occurred to me that would be a good round that would stop and wrap rather than penetrate additional buildings or walls.

It's a nasty round you wouldn't want to get hit with. I wondered if the new kevlar fishing lines with their thin diameter and no stretch would work. Seems to me the thinner line would act even more like a cutter but I didn't know if the no stretch would handle the shot string without breaking. I figured someone out there has loaded one.

fltsfshr

I seem to remember an online source that had specialty shotgun shells. They called it a Bolo shell or something.

It is very effective for shredding the sails of the enemy ship, but hasn't been used too much since 1845.

atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    I believe that's called slung shot. Braided steel wire is used not fishing line. Im pretty sure it's illegal in Florida and might be in your state as well.
    The FL legal definition of "slungshot": “Slungshot” means a small mass of metal, stone, sand, or similar material fixed on a flexible handle, strap, or the like, used as a weapon. [Think of a slapjack]

What OP describes is: “Bolo shell” means any shell that can be fired in a firearm and that expels as projectiles two or more metal balls connected by solid metal wire.

While technically pellets connected by fishing line is not the legal definition of "bolo shells," I would not want to try to explain that in a court. I believe the DA and judge would say it meets the "intent" of the state prohibition if not the definition.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Spend a little time with a barrel that uses screw in chokes and find the size and brand shot it likes best . Most people would be very surprised how tight a group buckshot can make at 70 yards plus once you find the right ammo. No OO or OOO buck pattern that well at longer ranges but 1buck and 4 buck can . Even today some turkey loads, #2 , bb or bbb loads will make for very tight 30" 70yard patterns.

Distinguished Member
    Good luck trying to find #1 buckshot.
    It is my preference for HD, ordered some, been on backorder for a year!
    No one has any!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Senior Moderator
    I cannot see an advantage of have your shot strung together and that it would decrease velocity. And I would think that heavy vegetation would break the strings
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    No one has any!
    Ditto. I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    No one has any!
    Ditto. I can't find it.
    Shotgun Shells - Shotgun Ammo - Shotgun Loads : Cabela's

I've also seen it at Sportsman's Warehouse.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Yep, used to take down rigging! Probably would not have worked like the chained cannon balls. A ballistic disaster in a shot shell and go to jail free card if ever used for SD. I cannot envision a use in the jungle either. To clear foliage? Every conceivable use suggests an off the self load that would serve the purpose better. How about a buck and ball?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links