Springfield 1903... In love, very special firearm for me. Pic heavy.

This is a discussion on Springfield 1903... In love, very special firearm for me. Pic heavy. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My grandfather on my father's side used one of these on Guadalcanal. My grandfather on my mother's side trained and was a decorated Army marksman ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Springfield 1903... In love, very special firearm for me. Pic heavy.

My grandfather on my father's side used one of these on Guadalcanal. My grandfather on my mother's side trained and was a decorated Army marksman with an '03

From what I've ascertained, 382xxx Rock Island Arsenal, double heat treated receiver, built in February, 1918, re-barreled in September, 1944 with a High Standard barrel. Ladder sight with no volley notch. Stock is marked "77 3 1". Swept bolt handle. Anything else you can tell me would be appreciated...

That rifle right there was the very reason for the only impulse buy I have ever made. Some linseed oil and perhaps some ballistol and that rifle will tell a story or two

I have an unused one from 1943 that was intended for the marines but never made it. It's looking good but the packing grease ate away at the finish a bit
    ChrisATX and gatorbait51 like this.

I'd take that thing home, give it a good treatment of the wood and treat it well. One day I believe the history of the gun will be so tarnished and there will need to be people who has restored these pieces of history for people to learn from them. A museum may pay a hefty price for a piece like that in the future.

The store received it for consignment yesterday evening. I stopped by after work and by some alignment of the universe, saw it. As of this morning, she was on layaway. Available for a grand total of 18 hours. She'll be all mine as soon as the tax return comes through.

That sweet rifle is what we used for 12 weeks in boot camp. I wonder if I can still do the 16 count manual of arms? Not a chance.
    ChrisATX and gatorbait51 like this.

Beautiful.
    gatorbait51 and ChrisATX like this.

VIP Member
    Thanks for nothing , now I'm in lust.. Where's that Rosie O'Donnell photo when you need it?
    ChrisATX, OldVet, tdave and 1 others like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisATX View Post

Stop that , you mean thing!
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The first place I head when I hit my LGS is the used rifle rack, the military section specifically. They had an M-1 carbine there--$800--but I didn't bite on that. No M-1 rifles or Springfields yet, but I'm hoping.
    gatorbait51 and ChrisATX like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    That sweet rifle is what we used for 12 weeks in boot camp. I wonder if I can still do the 16 count manual of arms? Not a chance.
    I bet you can if you think about it for a minute. We did a sixteen count while marching at our Basic Training graduation at Fort Polk in early '75.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Well, can't tell you anything that you probably don't already know, but I can say how envious I am! That is a very cool rifle you got there...treat it with TLC!
    ChrisATX likes this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

My admiration to those who were well trained to do this. See particularly the last half of this video.

The 1903 was the first rifle I ever bought K or Wal mart I forget which $55.00 I remember they also had Ruger Blackhawks your choice .357 or .44 mag $69.00. If I knew then what I know now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links