AR 15 recommendations...

AR 15 recommendations...

This is a discussion on AR 15 recommendations... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok .... I have been reading and searching all over the interwebs for several weeks, learning about AR's, trying to decide what i want out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: AR 15 recommendations...

AR 15 recommendations...

Ok .... I have been reading and searching all over the interwebs for several weeks, learning about AR's, trying to decide what i want out of my AR, and in my AR. I immediately decided I want quality..... nothing wrong with DPMS, bushmaster etc.....but not what I am looking for. I decided I wanted all Mil-Spec, chrome lined bore and chamber, flat top receiver, 16" barrel. After looking and searching, I have decided I am going to look for a Colt LE6920. It has all of this and more, is Highly regarded, and I think I will be able to pick one up in my budget range of 1k, maybe a little more for the right gun.

My question is, I like this one so much, I dont want anything else. In the event that i am unable to find one, what are some other similar guns you more experienced guys would recommend? I would love a daniel defense, but they are a little out of my price range. I have looked at the offerings from Stag, RRA, Wyndham..etc, but nothing has really struck me.
    WrongRecroom and munch520 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Heck even Walmart carries them ... My only issues with them is they have a sear block (which is not a big deal if you dont own a DIAS or auto sear)

I like the look the Spikes myselfe esp the Pirate and honey badger one ...

I think colt is the best best of the middle of the ground AR ...
    StormRhydr likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I honestly have not looked at spikes... my best friend has one though and it is a very nice gun..... and they have some in my price range too...
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I honestly have not looked at spikes... my best friend has one though and it is a very nice gun..... and they have some in my price range too...

Dont feel bad there is a crap ton of AR makers out there these days.. I like spikes more then likly this will be my next lower tumblr_md1a0fWkzc1r9khx4o1_500.jpg

Also look at the m&p guns they are quite nice imop as well .. I am fond of the sig 556 myselfe but it has a diffetn stock then a normal AR ( whihc is why I like it ..

Last I looked they were not only mil spec but ready to go if you ever get a class 3 auto sear or the like ...Spike's Tactical ST-15 Mid-Length AR15/M4 LE Carbine Review
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Administrator
    You'll be able to find a Colt. If not, I'd buy a BCM. I happened on two Spikes, I've been very happy with both. One is a standard 16" carbine, and the other is a 10.5" poor mans SBR. The 10.5 upper sometimes rides on a M-16 lower, it's handled high volume full auto fire in several trainings just fine.
    If I were buying another today, it'd be a BCM.
    gasmitty, Aceoky and atctimmy like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a Stag Arms model 2T. Great rifle. It's mil-spec and their lowers are all milled on site from an aluminum billet. Most of the parts are made in house. That's how they started, as a parts manufacturer. I have shot many AR's including the Colt and nothing (in this price range $900-$1,500.) has really felt as good to me as my Stag. I am biased of course. Just make sure you get something that can be easily upgraded. Once you have the upper & lower, sky's the limit. Happy rifle hunting and keep us posted on your decision.
    Eric357 likes this.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Walmart is well stocked on Colt Ars. Id go with the magpul 6920.

If you dont find/get a colt, Id consider
    Daniels defense
    Spikes
    Bravo Company

S&W M&Ps also have a good rep.

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    Take a look at Rock River Arms IMO they do a very good job at consistently putting together off the shelf rifles.
    The easy way is always mined.

I am very happy with my LE6920. One plus for the Colt is they usually have a better resale value if you ever sell it.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I like my Colt ARs, not real fond of S&W for an AR.

Here are a bunch of Colt 6920s in various configs for <$1100. Buy Colt Rifles
    Aceoky and Firearm.Fan.Girl like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

There are a number of quality AR manufacturer's these days. No reason to spend all that much unless your wanting to build a competition AR.

Or you could build one exactly how you want it...

I second Sixto's nomination of the Bravo Company's ARs. Solid guns with an outstanding record in hard use - witness the record of "Filthy 14." S.W.A.T. MAGAZINE ? FILTHY 14 : Slip 2000 Official Blog
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

A spikes is my next rifle. FYI J&G sales has Spikes ST-15's with the 12 inch b.a.r. for $1050 (not including shipping, FFL fees, etc.,)
    Spikes Tactical ST15 Mid Length AR Carbine, 5.56mm/223, with BAR Quad Rail and 16" Barrel, New.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Bravo Company (BCM), Colt, Danial Defense (DD), Lewis Machine and Tool (LMT) are all top of the line AR15's. You can't go wrong with anyone of those. And they are all quite close in price with one another.

It just depends on what furniture you may want to start out with so as too cut down on future upgrades because it came that way from the factory, and if you want a mid-length or a carbine length rifle and a floating barrel or not.

Accessories like rails, sights, muzzle brakes, and folding stocks are a little less expensive if they come built with what you may want since you do not have to consider purchasing them later and having a gunsmith install them if you can not do it yourself. Some upgrades are not that difficult to do if you know which end of the wrench to use. But some you should not attempt at your dining-room table. As simple as it is for some, others do not know how to change the oil in their vehicle so they have someone do it for them. While others that do know how, may not want to deal with the mess it could make so they also have it done for them.
    Aceoky likes this.

BCM
    Daniel Defense
    LMT (which is who makes a lot of BCM parts)
    Colt (who also makes a bunch of other BCM parts)

IMO, YMMV, BCM does most everything right all things considered. Their service is bar none, their price is in line with other top end gear.
    If they don't make it themselves, they take the best of what's out there and put it together in nearly a perfect package.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links