Any Stag-15 owners?

Any Stag-15 owners?

This is a discussion on Any Stag-15 owners? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up a Stag 15 chambered in 5.56 a while ago. It was the only chambering of that size they had in the store ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JJVP

Thread: Any Stag-15 owners?

Any Stag-15 owners?

I picked up a Stag 15 chambered in 5.56 a while ago. It was the only chambering of that size they had in the store (very few stores in my neck of the woods). I liked it then and still do, but either my arms need a workout, or this thing just feels like it weighs a ton.
    I believe it is a Model 6L Super Varminter with steel barrel.

I mounted my Zeiss Duralyte 2-9 optic on it, but that part is pretty light. But all in all, it just seems to be much too heavy unless used for bench shooting.

Does anyone else have something similar? Am I just getting weak in the arms and shoulders?

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    I can't comment on that specific model, but I have two Stags- their left hand M16A4 clone, and their lefty M4 clone. Love them both!

Had a Stag 3L (flat-top lefty) for a time. Thought it on the lighter end of the spectrum, though a fair beast as compared to an ultralight Armalite original MG from the early 1960's. Light compared to most others I've held, though I don't know where it ranks on Stag's spectrum of weights for their AR line. Can't recall the scale weight, with 16" bbl, flat top, ambi mag release, ambi safety, a different grip, and flip-up sights.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    A couple of years ago i bought the just the plain Stag M1.It's the 5.56,but it's not that heavy to me.I took the iron post off,and put a cheap open red dot sight on it .I bought it really just for recreational purpose..I had been told they were junk.I was also told the pmags were trash also.I'm glad i didn't listen to those um experts,lol..So far so good.

I have put many rds thru it,but how many i don't know. I did have a 2 tul ammo casings to not eject.I had to use a rod to knock them out.There won't be a 3rd..

The 6L Super Varminter looks like it has a 24” bbl. That is an additional 8” of bbl length, it also looks like it is a heavier barrel. That will add a bit of weight as well as change the balance of the rifle. I am not surprised that it feels heavier than a standard 16” carbine version of the AR.

Quote Originally Posted by AlDente67 View Post
    I picked up a Stag 15 chambered in 5.56 a while ago. It was the only chambering of that size they had in the store (very few stores in my neck of the woods). I liked it then and still do, but either my arms need a workout, or this thing just feels like it weighs a ton.
    I believe it is a Model 6L Super Varminter with steel barrel.

I mounted my Zeiss Duralyte 2-9 optic on it, but that part is pretty light. But all in all, it just seems to be much too heavy unless used for bench shooting.

Does anyone else have something similar? Am I just getting weak in the arms and shoulders?
    It should be heavy. It has a 24" heavy bull barrel.

Model 6L (Super Varminter) | Stag Arms LLC

Mine is not heavy, but then again it is a 16" government profile barrel.

Model 8 (Piston) | Stag Arms LLC
    oscar1 likes this.

JJVP sums it up. Of course its heavy, you have a bull barrel. If you put an upper with a 16" M4 profile barrel on you would notice a big difference.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I wanted an all around SHTF rifle, and I chose one with a bull, match grade barrel. It certainly doesn't swing as fast at close range where shot grouping doesn't count so much. It will accurately engage out to distances light barreled rifles only dream about. I get quite upset when I pull the trigger at range and the bullet makes its own decisions about where it wants to go. Sub MOA causes my face to involuntarily contort into evil grins.

I have a percision AR with a 16" barrel, 1:9 twist, and a break that weighs a little more than 8 lbs. That's about two more (all barrel) over a standard M4 with a 14.5" barrel, and even more over an SBR set up for CQB. I'll hump 2 extra pounds for sub MOA at 200 yds any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Slow fire it is easy to put all 30 in the 10 ring at 100 yds. Rapid fire at 100 yds with an ACOG 25+ are in the black with a couple of flyers (all me) but still all are on target. I've had more than a few jaws drop on the cease fires from other guys shooting ARs. I am a huge believer in varmint and heavy barrel rifles. I have percision distance rifles and my groups with the AR are almost the same out to 300 yds. Beyond that (switching scopes) the groups start to get bigger unless conditions are perfect, but that's mostly because of the cartridge and light bullets getting knocked around by atmospherics. You just can't push the loads like you can with high presure bolt rifle.

I think you made a great choice. What you loose up close you make up for at distance, and if you're a big guy like me and can muscle around a bigger heavier barrel I don't think you've really lost THAT much.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Had a Stag 3L (flat-top lefty) for a time. Thought it on the lighter end of the spectrum, though a fair beast as compared to an ultralight Armalite original MG from the early 1960's...
    Early 60's? ...or late 50's?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

With a setup like that it's designed to be heavy. There are plenty of ban-state compliant uppers you can snag for the thing if you want to lighten it up.

A 24" bull barrel is gonna' make ANY gun (without a tripod) seem "much too heavy". As for Stag AR variants, IMHO, they're a nice mid-grade AR manufacturer. Nothing but pleased with the ones I own.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have a 2T. And I love it.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

I have a Stag 2L. After researching the company, I learned that Stag has been making AR parts for years before they started full gun production. Their parts were used in many name brand rifles. I have been happy with mine and if I purchase another AR, it will be from them. A couple friends also are happy with theirs.

They are also considering moving their facility from the slave state of CT to possibly my home state of South Carolina. I sure hope so, we could use the jobs and will be proud to have them. Plus I could then swap my New Britian, CT stamped lower for an SC one!

Sponsored Links