Input please....Under $500 rifle choices - Page 2

Input please....Under $500 rifle choices

This is a discussion on Input please....Under $500 rifle choices within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; go with the 10/22. best deal going today. hard to beat the 22lr and there are more fixup parts that you can buy to change ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Input please....Under $500 rifle choices

go with the 10/22. best deal going today. hard to beat the 22lr and there are more fixup parts that you can buy to change out the gun to your likeing. the 10/22 are good shooter out of the box, the trigger is some what heavy, but that's all.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I love my 10/22.
    a great plinker, and small game shooter...
    plus it is the rifle I have teaching my kids with....
    .22's are pretty dang cheap, and it is a lot of fun...
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    Now that I have some responses , that I expected(as it ashould be) would be nothing definitive, how about this twist???

I have no range to shoot anything larger than a .22.
    South Carolina isn't THAT BIG!

Even if you only get to go once a month because of Distance there
    must be a club or range you can get to.
    Check Here. http://www.traderscreek.com/gun_club...h_carolina.asp
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

There are no PUBLIC rifle ranges. I cannot afford to join multiple ranges/clubs every year just to use 1 time a month. Memberships are not free.

And they do not just let anyone in for a day to use the rifle ranges.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I guess it depends on what you want for "plinking". The 10/22 is great if your looking for semi-auto .22LR.

If you want pin-point accuracy, check out this rifle:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...num/917VS.aspx

I haven't shot it myself, but I know a couple of people who have and they all say that it is a tack driver out to 200 yards. I've found them all over for around $329. Add a decent scope and you've got yourself a nice range rifle, and something that will explode a rabbit at around 150 yards. You'll have to check and see if your range will allow the .17HMR round though.

I'm shopping for my first rifle right now, with about the same budget as you. I've decided on a Marlin 336 though. I wanted a larger caliber for my first rifle, and I want to learn on iron sights first. My next rifle after the 336 will be the 917VS though.

Guess it all depends on what your looking for. If you want something cheap to shoot, that will chew through ammo, go for the 10/22. Get a bunch of 30 (or 50) round mags and go to town!

If you want to sit behind a scope and make a 1" group, go for the 917VS. Also, the .17HMR round is a lot more expensive than .22LR. It runs about 8.95 for a box of fifty.

Just the ramblings of someone with no practical experience (yet), but quite a bit of research under his belt.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Exodus, thanks for the input. Ammo cost will be a factor, as the rifle cannot cost more than my daily carry to range shoot. Right now the 9 gets a healthy does of 100 WWB for $12.88 on each trip.

Is there anywhere I can find WalMart's gun selection online?

My local is SOLD OUT of everything, and it'll be about 4-5 days before they get stocked back up. I couldn't read the tags as to what models they carry.
    Sean
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Not a hi-jack, but since you asked: Go to Wally World's website http://www.walmart.com/search/search...+125872.125884

IMHO the 10/22 is a better choice than the Remington 597. My step-son owns a 597 and has magazine feeding (FtF) issues every range session. 550 rounds cost under $9. I own a Marlin bolt action .22, SKS and a .30-06, but I don't have the same constraints as you. I'd trade the Marlin for a 10/22 in a heartbeat.....
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

sniper, thanks. I couldn't find those when i was looking. Must not have put in the secret code.
    Sean

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Might consider a Ruger 77/22 in 22lr....
    Very accurate or for longer ranges, try 22 mag....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

XD...If ammo cost is a big concern, then .22LR is the way to go. It is about as cheap as your going to get. A couple bucks for 100 rounds.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

A10/22 is fairly inexpensive and might be worth having w/ hi-cap mags, but have you thought about a shotgun??

Here is an idea.... get an AR and also get the 22 coversion kit for it. Best of both worlds. You shoot it a lot... and have your .223 for when you need it and want it.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Here is an idea.... get an AR and also get the 22 coversion kit for it. Best of both worlds. You shoot it a lot... and have your .223 for when you need it and want it.
    +1 on that. That's my plan for the summer when I'm actually working enough to have some free cash.

Another suggestion.

Buy a 10-22 for about $150 on sale at Walmart
    Buy a entry level AK47 for $300 to 350 from AIM Surplus or the local gun store

Quote Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
    +1 on that. That's my plan for the summer when I'm actually working enough to have some free cash.
    Well... except that he wants to keep it to $500... that blows it kinda.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links