Input please....Under $500 rifle choices

This is a discussion on Input please....Under $500 rifle choices within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, so I have my XD9SC and XD45 Service. I am now wanting a rifle. Here is what I have been thinking about. Something to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Input please....Under $500 rifle choices

Input please....Under $500 rifle choices

Ok, so I have my XD9SC and XD45 Service.

I am now wanting a rifle. Here is what I have been thinking about. Something to set up as target fun gun.

Ruger 10/22 ---cheap, great plinker, extensive aftermarket, could be some fun modding it, not accurate out of box, can be good for 100 yards

Remington 597 -- cheap, accurate out of box, fail to feed/extract problems, needs trigger work out of box, Not much aftermarket for it, can be good for 100 yards

SKS -- nice gun to target shoot with, hard to find Russian model(not cheap), Dad owns one I will eventually get

Wait and buy/build AR-15 -- ammo not cheap, fun for sure, great aftermarket

OR put TFOs and trigger on 9sc and be happy.

I know this will be asked, so let's say $500 and under.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

2. Remove Ads

AK. Not a target gun, but sure is fun. If you want a true target gun that is under 500, get a bolt action like a remington 700. Might have to go used for a varmint model though. Another good bolt action is the Savage 10FP. Under 500 new at a gun show.

Lead Moderator
    10/22 not accurate out of the box? says who? Other than the heavy trigger a stock 10/22 is a great shooter. I have shot small game to 12 ga. hulls with mine. Never had a problem hitting what I was shooting.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

M1 Garand.... you can get one from CMP for a pretty decent price.

Ruger now offers a match mini13 ranch rifle. Print about 2 inch 100 Yd.
    For about 500 bucks you can find a Norinco MAK91, they are mark NM, they have a Match barrel and supposed to print 1 1/2 to 2 inches at 100yd. For a AK that is really good.

You have a big range in rifles there. 10/22's are always fun..period. And you can trick them out as your wallet sees fit. The SKS's are a fun rifle(Own 2 of them and a Bulgarian MAK) but the ammo has become a bit of a problem lately....unless you don't mind spending the dough. AR's are even more fun than the SKS's...in my opinion.

For the money you want to spend....depending on your needs...I'd really consider looking into a Savage. Get one with an Accutrigger....maybe something in .204 Ruger or .223. I'm a Remington guy at heart...but they are going to set you back more than the Savage.

Good Luck....It's always fun to shop for your next rig.

Wayne

OMO...

But I'd wait and push towards the AR...you'll always wish you had...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Now that I have some responses , that I expected(as it ashould be) would be nothing definitive, how about this twist???

I have no range to shoot anything larger than a .22.
    Sean
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

If you only have a range to shoot a .22 LR at.....I guess the 10/22 would be the most economical way to go. Then as you see fit....you can upgrade it as you like.

Wayne

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Why entertain options for which you have no place to shoot? Seems like a tricked out 10/22 would be the way to go. I disagree with the notion that they are not accurate out of the box. I have one that is completely stock that is plenty accurate.
    Last edited by lowflyer; December 23rd, 2006 at 11:14 AM.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Assistant Administrator
    Well - if .22 is a limiting factor - then consider too a Marlin 60 - not much over $100 and, well - $400 bucks change is a LOTTA ammo
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    Why entertain options for which you have no place to shoot?
    Because I am afraid that in the near future we will see another Gov't imposed ban, and at which time, I will not be able to buy the guns I want.

Seems like a tricked out 10/22 would be the way to go. I disagree with the notion that they are not accurate out of the box. I have one that is completely stock that is plenty accurate.
    I have done a lot of reading on RFC, and I guess the definition of accurate is somewhat variable.

I feel I want to hit a certain point on a target, where as my LEO friend says that if you hit center mass, it's accurate enough.
    -------
    I am going to resist the urge to go out to Wally World and buy any of the .22 they stock. I may look at them, but I will wait to see more input here through the holiday weekend.
    Last edited by XD in SC; December 23rd, 2006 at 03:57 PM.
    Sean

A 10-22 and numerous 30 round magazines.

Practice with the ten rounders, use the others for fun and SHTF self defense.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    Because I am afraid that in the near future we will see another Gov't imposed ban, and at which time, I will not be able to buy the guns I want.
    I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    I have done a lot of reading on RFC, and I guess the definition of accurate is somewhat variable.

I feel I want to hit a certain point on a target, where as my LEO friend says that if you hit center mass, it's accurate enough.
    You are correct, sir. Accuracy is very subjective. I can very neatly write my name with mine at 25 yds., or head-shoot a squirrel/rabbit/prairie dog at 75 with open sights. I suppose that means it accurate to me.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Taurus has pump and semiauto rifles and carbines for around $300.00 You might want to look into these as well.

As to my one and only 22 it is a single shot winchester made a long time ago. It serves it's purpose quite well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links