Interesting trip to the range today!

This is a discussion on Interesting trip to the range today! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I met a friend of mine at our local indoor range today. As we were walking around the store before heading into the range, we ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 1 Post By Chorizo

Thread: Interesting trip to the range today!

VIP Member

I met a friend of mine at our local indoor range today. As we were walking around the store before heading into the range, we saw that they had a Barrett .50 BMG that was available to rent. It was quiet with an instructor available to give us a few tips, so we decided to shoot a couple of rounds. WOW, what a weapon. I have never had the opportunity to shoot a gun like that. The percussion from a shot was intense; even standing 10 feet behind the shooter it was incredibly strong. The felt recoil was actually manageable all things considered (that is it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be). Very cool experience! I guess I can cross another item off the bucket list!

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    That's so cool. A friend of mine shot one one time. I'm jealous. I'd love to shoot one.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

I had one for a while. Very intimidating rifle. The first time I shot it (and how I usually shot it) was off of a truck bed. With the brake, the ports and angled back towards you at an angle while the newest ones are not. I fired a few rounds and it shook my head pretty good. When I stood up I could taste blood. Apparently the pressure in my sinuses caused some very light bleeding.

I always enjoyed that rifle!

RickyD likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    A little video of my brother shooting one.

Click on photo for video

Here I am lining up.

Eric357 likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I had one for a while. Very intimidating rifle. The first time I shot it (and how I usually shot it) was off of a truck bed. With the brake, the ports and angled back towards you at an angle while the newest ones are not. I fired a few rounds and it shook my head pretty good. When I stood up I could taste blood. Apparently the pressure in my sinuses caused some very light bleeding.

I always enjoyed that rifle!

We actually shot it seated using a stand - I don't think there are really too many viable options. One of the hints our instructor gave us was to keep our mouths shut tight to avoid accidentally biting off part of the tongue. I think that if I had shot another round or two my sinuses might have started bleeding as well... Very intimidating weapon, but an absolute blast to shoot!

WOW! Very KOOL!

Shooting a .50 BMG and a full-auto rifle are things on my bucket list. Maybe something I can cross-off this summer!

An EOD unit brought out one to our tank range to shoot long range targets (1900-2100m including movers). They were gracious enough to let us shoot as long as we brought our own ammo so a few got to shoot some regular m2 ball and at least 1 guy had some SLAP-T training rounds. It looked fun but my tank saved our rounds for our qualification run.

Sponsored Links