Remington 700 stocks

Remington 700 stocks

This is a discussion on Remington 700 stocks within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While I have been quite pleased with the performance I get from my Remington 700 SPS in .308 on the range, I want to swap ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Remington 700 stocks

Remington 700 stocks

While I have been quite pleased with the performance I get from my Remington 700 SPS in .308 on the range, I want to swap out the Hogue overmolded stock that it came with for something a bit more rigid. Currently in my search, the frontrunner to use as a replacement is the Choate Target & Sniper stock (partially because of cost), although 5 pounds seems like a rather heavy stock to be adding to a rifle.

I am generally partial to synthetic stocks for this rifle as opposed to wood. Bell & Carson has some more traditional looking stocks that look reasonably priced too. I just can't justify in my mind spending as much or more than I did on the rifle for a stock right now, so $1,000 chassis systems are out. What stocks have people had good luck with on their 700s, that they would recommend?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I use HS Precision stocks on all of my builds. Occasionally, I'll have someone specify a McMillan stock, but at over 500 a piece I cant really justify the difference. The HS Precision stocks are in the 280-350 range and are as durable as any and with the aluminum chassis that they use, its as fool proof as they come.

Remington uses HS Precision stocks on several of their models. I have a .300 mag Sendero Special that came with one.

They are rock solid, strong and can be had in several colors. If you need them to, HS Precision will build them with whatever barrel channel you need for no extra cost. I've had them do several 1.375 barrel channels for the integrally suppressed guns that I build.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've had good luck with the Bell and Carlson myself. Anything I could want and more actually. The stock makes the rifle IMO. If you can't afford some work done by Aurora Tactical, then make the best of it. The Rem 700 isn't exactly my favorite. Just what I was issued back in the day.
    So you want a holy war? How many holes would you like?

Know anything about the H-S "Light tactical" stock Hotguns?

I like the looks of it. Or is there a model you prefer?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Light tacticals are good. I've used them all at one time or another and they are all good. I really like that aluminum chassis system they use. Zero issues with it, no need for bedding.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links