Spent the night with HotGuns

This is a discussion on Spent the night with HotGuns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thought that would get your attention. Some of you may have read I am now a member of the NFA weapon club. Yesterday my friend ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Spent the night with HotGuns

VIP Member

Thought that would get your attention.

Some of you may have read I am now a member of the NFA weapon club.

Yesterday my friend went to my home in Central Arkansas and picked up the money for my project and my Rifle Dynamics AR and took them to HotGuns at his shop.

I was able to do video chat on skype for about two hours with a couple of minor interruptions but he opened the safe and showed me all sorts of possibilities for things. I must say that is the best entertainment I have had since being here seeing it was in the wee, wee hours of the morning here.

The AAC SBR in .300 Blackout is paid for and will be ordered Monday along with the AAC SDN-6 can. I purchased the AAC muzzle brake on gunbroker for the AR now I have to find one in .30 caliber for the SCAR-17. My plan still stands to use the .30 can on the SCAR, .300 Blackout and the 5.56 AR so one can and one tax stamp.

After talking to HotGuns I have also decided to register the RD AR lower and put it on the trust so now I can put whatever I want on it with no further tax due. We also discussed at length what to do with the AR. I honestly could not remember is the rifle was built with a 14.5 inch barrel and had the muzzle brake welded to meet legal length or if it has a 16 inch barrel with the muzzle brake added. After looking and measuring it turns out it had a 16 inch barrel with the muzzle brake added so we have plenty of room to work with. The final decision was to remove the muzzle brake, and cut the barrel down and add the AAC muzzle brake for a 16.1 inch OAL. I know if may be kind of barrel heavy with the can but I can live with it and this will also give me a full length 5.56 to play with.

While there in addition to opening the safe and showing the toys he allowed my friend to shoot with his guns. She is a shooter and has a CCW but had never fired anything suppressed so she got familiar with a variety of stuff. She had brought her Ruger 22/45 with her which has an EER optic on it and after more discussion and some gun trading she decided to have HotGuns work his magic on it. She enjoyed shooting a threaded Ruger .22 with a can but when he brought out one with the barrel cut down and with the suppressor added that mimicked the size and weight of the stock gun she was hooked. She will have the barrel cut down on her gun and a stainless steel Huntertown Arms suppressor installed.

HotGuns had told me that this stuff was addictive but damn. I cannot say enough about working with and speaking to HotGuns. I learn something from him everytime we speak. I encourage you if you are thinking about getting anything specialized talk to him first, you will not be disappointed.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Never met him FTF, but I get the sense that HotGuns is a squared-away straight-up guy, and you re-affirmed that.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Darn, I was hoping for some morning excitement (however weird and twisted that might be) with my coffee! Just sayin'!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    I read the title, and thought "yeah, that was inevitable".
    gatorbait51, oneshot, OD* and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    When I read the title I pictured those two old grumpy guys from the Muppets, except the scene was a gun shop in Arkansas.

Last edited by atctimmy; February 10th, 2014 at 12:08 PM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

HotGuns can be very dangerous when he starts showing off toys!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    When I read the title I pictured those two old grumpy guys from the Muppets, except the scene was a gun shop in Arkansas.
    That's how I picture OldVet and TX expat.

Administrator
    Be absolutely assured that HotGuns is a 100% squared-away straight-up guy.

None better & you can take that to the bank.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Don't ask, don't tell...at least that's the way it was in my day...
    ppkheat, ccw9mm and gatorbait51 like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Don't ask, don't tell...at least that's the way it was in my day...
    Don't ask, don't tell what's in the gun safe?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    HotGuns can be very dangerous when he starts showing off toys!
    Tacman found that out over a video call.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I'm sure he appreciates the publicity, though it might not be EXACTLY the kind he's looking for...
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Be absolutely assured that HotGuns is a 100% squared-away straight-up guy.

None better & you can take that to the bank.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Never met him FTF, but I get the sense that HotGuns is a squared-away straight-up guy, and you re-affirmed that.

Judging from his posts,^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is how I would expect him to be.
    tacman
    Glad you are nearby and have the means to work with him on that level.

I went out on a limb and bought first one pistol from a member here.
    Then some ammo.
    Then another pistol for me, and my daughter's BF also bought one from him, and more ammo.
    First rate guy to deal with.
    Finally fate afforded us the means to meet(I was passing through his state), and he and his wife were the most wonderful, gracious people I've had the pleasure to meet.

DC, for the most part, is full of good people.
    packinnova and HotGuns like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Moderator
    Dang it Robert.. that post got MY attention !

You made me blush.
    I haven't done that since my mother in law caught me and the soon to be wife...well ahhh...never mind.

I had a great time shooting with your girlfriend. I think that I've created a beast. She may out do you with the guns before its over with. Its always fun to let people that have never shot suppressed pistols and rifles experience them for the first time.

Enjoyed talking to you on the phone. This Skype stuff amazes me still. Talking with someone on the other side of the world on a different day just trips me out.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

HOTGUNS really is the maker of KOOL stuff. He is squared away, and as they say down in Texas were I was stationed for several years, “He will do to ride the River with.” I will stand behind anything he does, cause you sure do not want to stand in front of it. On the other hand he has some problems, the biggest one with getting to meet him the first time is you run out of time fast, very fast. And for some maybe money as well.

But I have never been there, looked in the safe, seen the machines, walls full of jigs and custom fixtures, some things you will not see else where, shot the rifles. You will not find any of my finger prints anywhere around. Come to think of it, I do not think I have ever met the man.... Hang in there HOT GUNS.
    HotGuns likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links