Looking to take the plunge on AR

This is a discussion on Looking to take the plunge on AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As the title states I'm looking for an AR. So far the only thing I've come across that has piqued my interest is a Colt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Looking to take the plunge on AR

Looking to take the plunge on AR

As the title states I'm looking for an AR. So far the only thing I've come across that has piqued my interest is a Colt sporter match HBAR for $1100. There's so much info on that particular rifle that I can't decipher it all. But from what I've found there are pre-ban and non pre-ban models? Being as this would be my first AR and that I don't know a whole lot about them I'm very leery of buying secondhand. As far as why I would want one it's pretty much just for fun. I like to shoot and the AR platform has always appealed to me. So any recommendations on what to inspect when buying would be greatly appreciated.

And just for reference it looks a lot like thiscolt ar.jpg
    The best way to stop incoming fire is accurate outgoing fire.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    The name COLT say's it all, Go for it !
    Aceoky and Eric357 like this.

Colt 6920 running 890 to 1097 now. Colt is a very good AR. I have a couple. The world is changing and there are a lot of very good AR's with nice extras on them already in that range.
    Unless you are wealthy set a budget figure out what you must have on it and start shopping. When you find one research the good and bad of that one.
    Buy or move on depending what you learn about it.
    Coltm4.JPG
    StormRhydr and Czombie like this.

This one has an easy answer:

1) Go down to Wal-Mart.
    2) Buy a Colt LE6920 - about $1067 IIRC, about $70 more if you get the Magpul edition.
    3) Done.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

When you see preban and AR that means it was made pre 1994 .. This does not matter anymore in most states save CT/MA and I think one or two others ...

The only advantege the older colts may have is there is no sear block.. But a sear block is not a big deal to take out and only really need to if you want to run a DIAS ...

The ones you want to be leary of are thouse made during the 94 ban ( 1994-2004) these will have unthread barrels in most case ...

Colt is colt most any model is a good gun .. The very fist one ( the early spoters and sp1) are not compitailbe with all uppers as latter guns as I remember

In my book just go to walmart and get a 6920 ...

All HBAR means is a very thick and heavy barrel .. This is so for hevy long terms shooting the barrel does not heat up too much and reduced accruace as I remember ...

Also since you are in CO do check if you buy first hand what models you may be getting they may lump CO in with NJ and the like and fix the stock etc ... Or they may just put a 10 round mag in ... I would check ...

The one you posted a photo is looks to be like a sporter model

The thing about AR unless the whole lower reciver is complete broken they can be fixed very easy.. They are like Barbie Dolls

Really in my book there are like 3 looks to AR :
    1. M-4 looking clones like the 6920 the DPMS guns etc etc .. That looks like the mil issue M4 minuis a 14 inch barrel and full auto
    2. The a1 and a2 guns that looks like the old mil issue m16 a1 and a2 .. Again dpms .. the old Colt sp1 etc look like these
    3. Everthing else these have the lines of either 1 or 2 but have diffeent railes etc.

Really what you want to ask is what is this for ? Comp shooting you want a heavy bull barrel 20 inch like a HBAR ... SD and shtf gun get a 16 inc or pinned 14.5 inch gun like the 6920 etc ...

There is a guide posted at the top of rifle section that talks about the models
    Aceoky and Eric357 like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    Or you could go with an AR model that is Gas Piston. Much better reliability. I would direct you to Sig Sauer to see their wears.
    Smitty901 likes this.

When I first took the plunge last year, I bought the Colt 6920 Magpul Edition. Great choice as the folks before me have said. You cannot go wrong with this model IMHO.....
    Eric357, StormRhydr and Aceoky like this.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I have a S&W MP15OR and as of two weeks ago a Colt LE6920. Both are fine rifles, but the Colt feels more sturdy altogether and will retain it's resale value much more.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    If you got the choice go with the Colt. I purchased my first AR ( Rock River 20" match) I don't regret it. But I would go Colt.
    Now days I build my own out of a stripped lower and parts kit. I get me a brand new Krieger SS barrel and Geislie trigger.

AR rifles are like Harley Davidson motorcycles---- you get your new bike----that is a starting point---
    You will add and subtract all kinds of things.( stocks, hand guards,rails, lights, sights,scopes,charging handles,triggers,barrels,gas blocks,flash hiders,slings,) no end in sight.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by SigIsTheAnswer View Post
    Or you could go with an AR model that is Gas Piston. Much better reliability. I would direct you to Sig Sauer to see their wears.
    This is a VERY dubious statement with little established basis in fact...

OP, there are lots of ways to get into the game of ARs.

You can buy a complete rifle, you can assemble. Colt is a good place to start. People will say it is the gold standard by which all other rifles are measured. That might have been true once, but the TDP cat is pretty much out of the bag at this point. There are lots of rifles out there as good or better than Colt.

I would advise you to spend 3 months researching the topic before you buy. You'll end up with a rifle that is more what you want the first time for less money.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZacMan1987 View Post
    This is a VERY dubious statement with little established basis in fact...

OP, there are lots of ways to get into the game of ARs.

You can buy a complete rifle, you can assemble. Colt is a good place to start. People will say it is the gold standard by which all other rifles are measured. That might have been true once, but the TDP cat is pretty much out of the bag at this point. There are lots of rifles out there as good or better than Colt.

I would advise you to spend 3 months researching the topic before you buy. You'll end up with a rifle that is more what you want the first time for less money.
    Yes yes, if you keep your rifle clean then reliability isn't an issue. Well, that wasn't the case when the military did their testing of the M4's. The HK416 chewed up all dirt and grit and continued to function. The Colt M4 not so much. Not to take away from Colt or DI rifles. I used them and own one and will buy more. There is also a downside to getting a gas piston AR. Once you get it you are married to it and what that developer produces. Not much interchangability with the piston stuff from what I have seen. I just am becoming increasingly impressed with Gas Piston.

Might I mention that this is a used rifle that I have been looking at? I'm not looking for anything crazy I just want a nice shooting platform that I know will work and I can be confident in.
    Eric357 likes this.
    The best way to stop incoming fire is accurate outgoing fire.

Then you are well served with what you are looking for. And there is such a market out there for upgrading your rifle if you so choose. You will quickly find everyone has a separate opinion on their preferred "operating system"
    ScubaSteve08 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve08 View Post
    Might I mention that this is a used rifle that I have been looking at? I'm not looking for anything crazy I just want a nice shooting platform that I know will work and I can be confident in.
    Check and see if it is pre ban or not .. If pre ban the price is not bad imop .. I dont have a HBAR but I hear can be a bit heavy on the front end with some models do to ...

Unless I am wrong with 99% you can put whatever top you want on it .. So you can easily put a normal carbine upper on ...

You can look up the serial numbers to see roughly when most were made .. Also note there is 3-4 dif HBAR rifles Colt makes ...

The deal with the carry handle guns is they are tricker to mount scops etc on .. So if you want to run scopes may want to get a flatop upper ....
    Eric357 likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by SigIsTheAnswer View Post
    Owner of several DI and Gas piston AR's, Hands down the Gas piston are better. They do run cooler, and so much cleaner it is hard to believe at first.
    Not saying I would never buy another DI. But for now any new ones added will be Gas piston.
    Gas piston Carbine Huldra with MAGPUL and Adams arms gas piston system
    100_1359.JPG
    SigIsTheAnswer and Czombie like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links