Question on AR builds.(parts)

This is a discussion on Question on AR builds.(parts) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok as most folks know I'm learning ARs. My conclusion is if I buy one I most likely will get the basic Colt 6920. Down ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Question on AR builds.(parts)

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar

Question on AR builds.(parts)

Ok as most folks know I'm learning ARs. My conclusion is if I buy one I most likely will get the basic Colt 6920. Down the road I might like to tackle building one as I think it would be a fun father/son project. I know the sky is pretty much the limit on builds. I often hear people talk about how you can build an Ar a lot cheaper than buying one. Here is where my question lies. As far as quality goes. How do you know the quality of parts your buying is there some companies to that are better than others. Are there some companies to avoid? Are there certain lowers to avoid.Etc. I know, the noob with a million more questions.

2. Remove Ads

There are certainly companies that make better components than others.

As far as lowers, I have used Aero Precision and Spikes, and had no issues with either. I actually generally just get whatever aluminum lower fits my needs at the best price.

I have had good luck with PSA (not PTAC), and for my purposes their lower build kits have worked well. Colt LPK's are kind of the gold standard.

A lot of what makes quality parts is the materials used, and the testing processes in place by the company to insure high quality products.
    Eric357 and Aceoky like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

It's really not that much cheaper, you just avoid the tax (drawing a blank on the name right now) and can use just what you want. I'd buy everything from BCM since it's hard to find Colt parts at a good price. SAW (Ken Elmore's shop) sells parts, but he sells Colt barrel for something like $400 or more when G&R sells take off Colt barrel for well under $300.

So, I'd buy my upper receiver from BCM unless I went with the Vltor MUR 1s (the one with the forward assist) and my lower from Noveske, BCM or Colt. My lower parts kit from Colt or BCM then maybe a Geissele/ALG trigger, Bad-ASS selector and take down pins, etc.

my my barrel would probably be from BCM and I'd use the new BCM hand guard or a Geissele. Furniture from BCM and B5 or Magpul, though I like the iMod too.

This is is just the standards I'd use. I'd tweak it to fit the role of the rifle.
    Eric357, 40Bob, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Psa lower and lpk is a great starting point, I got psa lower, lpk, moe grip and ztock for $160. Barrels are made fn most of the time, with more expensive barrels you usually pay for choice barrels or better qc. Same goes for a lot else there are good cheap stuff and there is always great expensive stuff
    Eric357 likes this.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    It's really not that much cheaper, you just avoid the tax (drawing a blank on the name right now) and can use just what you want. I'd buy everything from BCM since it's hard to find Colt parts at a good price. SAW (Ken Elmore's shop) sells parts, but he sells Colt barrel for something like $400 or more when G&R sells take off Colt barrel for well under $300.
    Just to add onto this, I agree it really isn't that much cheaper. The two big advantages it has (to me), are that:

1. I don't need the cash up front for the build. A build might take me 6 months or a year to get done, because I buy parts as the funds become available. When I find a deal, I buy what I need (often several in the case of things like LPK's, stripped lowers, or BCG's). I currently have a lower with a fixed stock just waiting for a BCM 20" upper to go on, but that may not happen until summer.

2. I can get a lot more money for the rifle. I can build an $800 rifle that fits my needs better than anything I can buy in that price range. I don't wind up paying twice for things I would just swap out anyways, like grips, handguards, stocks, sights, ect... I just buy the parts I want, and use them in the build. This is actually probably one of the biggest monetary saving points of the process.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Eric the best way to go money wise is to sit on PSA's website like a hawk. They have great deals from time to time and you can build a decent AR through them with all the bells and whistles for around $600. But you gotta wait for a sale and be patient.

Blemished PSA M4 16'' CMV CL Upper - With BCG and Charging Handle

PSA AR-15 Complete Blem Lower - Classic Edition - No Magazine

So with today's sale price you could get a standard PSA M4gery for $510 plus $30 shipping and $20 FFL fee. That price is so good that I'm going to call a few friends about it. Giddy up.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I am still a novice myself (3 builds so far). I like Spikes Tactical and Palmetto State Armory. If you decide to go with PSA expect to wait a LOOOOOOOONGGG time for your purchase to ship. I may even start a thread about PSA's long shipping delays.

Ernie

VIP Member
    Lots of choices out there. Here is my take on it. PROVIDED you know what you want. You build exactly what you want without leaving a drawer full of extra parts. Most people purchase a complete rifle only to change out parts for different or better parts. So like I said IF you know what you want you can save some money and not end up with a drawer full of parts.

I am one of the guys that has a drawer full of parts, its right below the drawer full of holsters.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I am still a novice myself (3 builds so far). I like Spikes Tactical and Palmetto State Armory. If you decide to go with PSA expect to wait a LOOOOOOOONGGG time for your purchase to ship. I may even start a thread about PSA's long shipping delays.

Ernie
    It's only a week or two. They tell you to expect a delay and to me the money i save is worth the wait.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

It's (IMHO) more FUN to build your own AR, yet an individual can NOT compete on a price-point buying just one of a component against an AR manufacturer who buys t-h-o-u-s-a-n-d-s of the same part. So single AR builders pay MORE for every single component. It's tough to image how that can eventually be cheaper. If your $$$ total ends precisely the same, you've used CHEAPER parts in your home-built.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It's only a week or two. They tell you to expect a delay and to me the money i save is worth the wait.

I agree about the huge savings on their Daily Specials but the wait is 15 business day wait is stated to be for complete uppers or serialized parts. I ordered a LPK and BCG a week ago with no shipping notification email thus far. I am impatient but will continue to do business with them anyway.

Thanks guys for all the input. If I buy I'm pretty much decided on the Colt 6920. But I think a build down the road would be a fun father/son project.My son is a knife/gun nut like me.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    Thanks guys for all the input. If I buy I'm pretty much decided on the Colt 6920. But I think a build down the road would be a fun father/son project.My son is a knife/gun nut like me.

It will be. And remember youtube is your friend.
    Eric357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    Good call IMO. Nobody builds an Ar they assemble it like a puzzle or lego set.
    If you shop smart you can do better in most cases than buying parts.
    Eric357 and MJ54 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links