Peep sight aperture double vision.

This is a discussion on Peep sight aperture double vision. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, I haven't used a peep sight in probably 15 years. Looking in the back of my M1903 today, getting comfortable with the sight, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mano3

Thread: Peep sight aperture double vision.

Hey guys,

I haven't used a peep sight in probably 15 years. Looking in the back of my M1903 today, getting comfortable with the sight, I notice that my front blade is crystal clear, as it should be, but I'm getting top and bottom double vision of the rear aperture, and therefore not sure which image is the real, to center the front blade in, and which is the ghost.

This is occurring with both eyes open and weak eye shut (right handed, right eye dominant).

Any tips before I go waste a buck a round?

Distinguished Member
    Make the aperature a little bigger. Worth a try.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    Make the aperature a little bigger. Worth a try.
    test this theory using a piece of paper first! Ill bet he is right but knowing what size to drill will be worth the effort. Using a dark piece of paper hold it along side the rear sight. start with a hole about the same size as the rear aperture, and then keep enlarging it till your vision clears. I had not used a peep sight in a long time, And the first time I used one I could see a web or lint in it. But I couldn't clear it out. Guess what? I needed a bigger hole! DR

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    test this theory using a piece of paper first! Ill bet he is right but knowing what size to drill will be worth the effort. Using a dark piece of paper hold it along side the rear sight. start with a hole about the same size as the rear aperture, and then keep enlarging it till your vision clears. I had not used a peep sight in a long time, And the first time I used one I could see a web or lint in it. But I couldn't clear it out. Guess what? I needed a bigger hole! DR
    Good idea!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member
    Changing the aperture does not exactly fix the problem. Smaller apertures are better for target shooting while larger apertures are better for hunting. A peep sight is just another type of iron sight. If it looks clouded or hazy, it might be time to have your vision checked.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My old eyes just need a little more light! DR

Is the double aperture seen immediately, or does it appear after you are looking for a while? And are you actually sighting in on a target, or concentrating on the front sight?
    I have no idea what any of that means, but I would think if you look through the peep at the front sight and then the target, any additional aperture that appears will be the ghost.
    I don't have the problem you are describing, but I do have a problem where I am concentrating so hard that everything goes out of focus, like a blackout. I have learned to shoot more quickly and not take 30 seconds. I think it's an age thing. I've been thinking of getting one of these or something similar, or making my own: Merit Optical Attachment | Bullseye Pistol Product Reviews I've heard they do good things for getting your eyes to focus and that both sights become clearer.
    As a collector the last thing I would want to see is a drilled out aperture on a collectible milsurp. Use the dovetail and hold low, lol.

Peep sights changed my life with my SKS rifle - love em'!
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Chris, are you wearing dual-focal plane (bi-focal) eyeglasses?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sir I noticed in your other '03 threads that you have a 1903...have you placed a peep sight on it ? The 1903A3 had a peep rear sight the 1903 did not. If you indeed have the 1903 with the standard sight then I suggest the Merit Disc...the '03A3 peep sight should allow you to look "thru" the sight without focusing on it and your eye should center the front sight automatically...

rick

Links