Experiences with Rem 870?

This is a discussion on Experiences with Rem 870? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wanted an all around shotty, one for trap, hunting and, with a shorter barrel, for home defense. I read up and got the 870 ...

Thread: Experiences with Rem 870?

I wanted an all around shotty, one for trap, hunting and, with a shorter barrel, for home defense. I read up and got the 870 Express in 12Ga. Gander Mtn had a great deal, $220 after $30.00 rebate. I read the police and the Army use it. Did I make a good choice for a starter shotgun?

Thumbs up Great Choice

You made a good purchase.The 870 will serve your needs well.They are great shotguns. enjoy.

Assistant Administrator
    The 870 is IMO, about the ultimate - certainly when value for money is a factor. Obviously alternatives - some folks love Benelli's. Even Mossy's are good value too.

I saw figures somewhere of how many have been made - it's almost millions! That's gotta say something.

I got mine from a local guy who had bought it and shot it once only - he wanted it for Turkey but health prob's made it hard to handle. Paid him $250 straight cash, which was high for a used gun but heck - it was new really. Love it - it sits right by my side as I type!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Great choice! Very dependable and functional in any climate. Mossy's have improved over the years, but I won't switch back. I've had my 870 for about 20 years now. When I get another shotgun, it'll be either a semi 12 ga. or an over/under. I'm leaning towards the semi so my wife can shoot it without too much discomfort.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I've read the Remington 870 is the best selling firearm of all time. Not sure if it is true or not, but thats says something for it. I have owned two 870s. I bought a 24" Super Magnum for hunting, but I am not much of a hunter so I sold it. The I purchased a 1956 Wingmaster. It has an 18.5" barrel with rifle sights. I bought is solely for self defense and I couldn't be happier. The action is slicker than deer snot and it feels better built and more rugged than the newer ones.

The only things I could add to improve upon the basic design are to more the slick lock release lever further back on the trigger guard so you don't have to reposition you shooting hand to work it. The other would be to add a magazine disconnect button so you could cycle out a live round without inserting a new one from the mag. This would be good if you loaded it with buck and wanted to load a slug.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    My Remington 870 Express Magnum has been nothing but great. I think its the best value one can get in a shotgun. I have the Knoxx Spec Ops stock on mine to reduce recoil, making it so much more fun to shoot.

Lead Moderator
    Great choice , reliable shotty
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

hard to beat the remigation 870. i carry one on the job. they will shoot no matter what you do to them.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Administrator
    I've got lots of experiances with 870's. Its hard to argue with such a proven firearm.

SpyderDude, how do you like the SpecOps stock? I put the CompStock on my 870 and it makes a noticeable difference, though its said to reduce recoil by 60% or so while the SpecOps stock reduces over 90%. I really like their products.

I added that and a Mesa Tactical shell holder, if you are going tactical with your shottie use those two brands. Not the crappy Tacstar stuff. Mesa tactical shell holders are $15-20 more and have a lifetime warranty, but you won't need it. Last thing I need to add is a Surefire forearm, might use some Christmas money for that.

For those interested visit. www.knoxx.com and www.mesatactical.com.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

I picked up a 870 Express Mag last month, and love it. The other day I looked at the Mossberg equivalent, and other than the finish on the barrel, I think the 870 is a better felling shotgun.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Thanks for all the replies. It's good to hear all of the positive feedback. It just seemed like such a good deal I had to wonder is it going to be a truly good shotgun. Now I feel reassured. I was also excited to see all of the aftermarket things you can get for them. Kind of like my 1911's....a lot of things to tinker with.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    870 Good gun-Use mine for Hunting deer, Waterfowl, and some Home defense, outside of the shotgun games Trap, Skeet, SC's, pump guns are a little tougher. Skeet IMHO is a little tougher with doubles but if you get use to a pump gun not a big deal. Trap even though they generally don't have the really high ribs for trap its still a good gun for trap.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I love the Knoxx SpecoOps stock. It does exactly what it was designed to do, absorb recoil. With the factory stock, I would go home with a good size bruise on my shoulder, but I didn't wanna give up my 12 gauge, so after hearing about the Knoxx SpecOps stock, I decided to try it out. Range time with my Remington 870 has been nothing but fun since then. My right shoulder thanked me too!

LaP
    Bought my 870 Express Magnum about three years ago for $230. I've never had any problems with ANY loads. I keep it as a home defense solution... four rounds of BB in the tube and four rounds of 00 Buck in the side saddle. I trust it completely.

Sponsored Links