First outing with RRA AR15...I'm depressed

This is a discussion on First outing with RRA AR15...I'm depressed within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I got my RRA AR15 a month ago and yesterday I was finally able to take it out to Scottsdale Gun Club. I fired ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First outing with RRA AR15...I'm depressed

First outing with RRA AR15...I'm depressed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got my RRA AR15 a month ago and yesterday I was finally able to take it out to Scottsdale Gun Club. I fired off the first mag with no problems. It was very accurate and I was pleased. I loaded up a mag for my buddy and got it ready to fire for him and...nothing. So I took the rifle from him and I racked the slide and it fired. The next shot would not fire. This repeated a few times and then a SGC gunsmith, that happened to witness this senario, said that it had to be 'fixed.' He said that it was common and that it 'wasn't a big deal,' that maybe 'a spring was in backwards.' So I turned it in and was told that it will be 2 weeks before i get it back. The rifle is under warranty so I hope I don't get charged for anything.
    I was very bummed out but the gunsmith said not to worry, that he highly recommends the RRA over any other brand of AR. That made me feel a little better but not much.
    What do you guys think?

2. Remove Ads

I think that sucks to be honest no matter what the problem that's not a very good start with a new rifle you just got on the first outing. I'd be pissed. It "may" not be a big deal to some but spending that kind of money and going with a company you feel is the best one to use, that's why you went with them and you get that for a first outing! I'd be angry and at least venting my frustration to RRA about it so maybe they can check into some quality control issues maybe that they may or may not know about.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

That's just weird. So when you said "nothing happened", what was it? Did the hammer drop and nothing happened, or did the hammer just not drop? Not that I'm some super gunsmith, I'm just curious.

I hope it's an easy fix and you can get back into enjoying your rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got my RRA AR15 a month ago and yesterday I was finally able to take it out to Scottsdale Gun Club. I fired off the first mag with no problems. It was very accurate and I was pleased. I loaded up a mag for my buddy and got it ready to fire for him and...nothing. So I took the rifle from him and I racked the slide and it fired. The next shot would not fire. This repeated a few times and then a SGC gunsmith, that happened to witness this senario, said that it had to be 'fixed.' He said that it was common and that it 'wasn't a big deal,' that maybe 'a spring was in backwards.' So I turned it in and was told that it will be 2 weeks before i get it back. The rifle is under warranty so I hope I don't get charged for anything.
    I was very bummed out but the gunsmith said not to worry, that he highly recommends the RRA over any other brand of AR. That made me feel a little better but not much.
    What do you guys think?
    What did happen with the rifle?

Was it not extracting and ejecting the empty, or was it failing to feed?

Did you strip and clean the gun before you went to the range?

I'd be a little leery of that smith's advice, since there really are not any springs you can put in an AR "backwards" that would prevent it from cycling. In fact, you can't put most of them in backwards at all.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

The firing pin was leaving just a slight mark on the primer on every other feed. I'd cycle it and then the next one would fire. One time I tryed to cycle it and the charging handle felt like it would just come out; like it wasn't grabing anything.

Did you try using the forward assist?? I know when my H-Bar Bushy was new...I had to use the forward assist regularly...especially on the first round of each mag.

Also, did you thoroughly clean the rifle before you went to the range? Sorry if that's a stupid question...but if there's crud in the locking lugs or perhaps the extractor. Also, if you were shooting in dusty conditions....you may have gotten some crud in there.

Just some thoughts Bro......never had major issues with an AR before....RRA has a very good rep. for producing quality pieces.

Hope it gets fixed for you real soon!!

Wayne

It was cleaned and sparingly lubed beforehand. And I was using the forward assist. I don't think this was operator error. Like I said, the gunsmith witnessed the whole thing. I'll keep you all posted.

Lead Moderator
    sounds like the hammer was not setting to the sear. Spring in backwards sounds like a bunch of bull. Hope it gets straightened out.
    I would suggest a peek at
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=66
    this site is the premier site for AR15 info.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

most ar's and m16 like it wet. the bolt section will work better wet over dry. clean the gun and give it some lube, make it wet in/at the bolt area of the gun. give the firing pin area lots of lube. then give the bolt area lots of lube. there are no springs to go/get backwards in the ar's/m16's. only one spring on the firing pin, it does not care which end goes in first. the only other real spring is in the butt stock of the gun, and the same goes for it. i carry a rock river arms on the job for "raids" and rock river tells us to lube it up. i have not had any problems with the gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

You realy can't put any "spring in backwards" AFAIK on an AR that would cause this.

However he "feet" of the hammer spring, if cut too short when the spring is mfg., could slip off of their resting place on the tirgger pivot pin.
    This could in turn cause light hammer strikes. Even more so if the hammer spring is on the weak side to begin with; say to achieve a lighter trigger pull.

Rocky also offered a good cause as well. The sear engagment could be poor and the hammer could be following the bolt carrier forwards.

Administrator
    Whatever the cause, I wouldnt sweat it to much. RRA is a top notch company, I'm sure they will make it right.

Lead Moderator
    BigEd63, you idea may well be the problem. I wonder if they test fire RRA's at the factory.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

This may sound dumb, but did you try it with any other ammo? I just built an AR for a buddy of mine, and when he first tried it using some cheap surplus it acted quite similar (firing every third shot or so, not cycling). However, when we tried different ammo everything worked fine. In the end it became an ammo problem, we only found one gun that could get that ammo to fire andd cycle reliablely.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Thanks for all of the input guys, I appreciate it.

I was using Remington UMC 55gr. I think the guy said it was something to do with the trigger??? I guess I'll find out this week or next...

Senior Moderator
    Years ago same problem with a Bushmaster.

I took the bolt apart, removed the firing pin and removed all of the packing grease that was left in it.

I degreased it all and then lubed it.

Before you try anything else, make sure that the firing pin movement isnt being impeded by packing grease. Hopefully the factory will look at that first before trying anything else. Usually an amourer will do that first if he thinks that there are no primer strikes or light ones. Sometime that little bit of grease will migrate to the firing pin hole and it is stiff enough to gum it up. A few minutes of cleaning will take care of it. Sometimes it the simple things that are hard to find.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links