My latest DIY vid: a neat tip to make changing the AR pistol grip easy

This is a discussion on My latest DIY vid: a neat tip to make changing the AR pistol grip easy within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While the pistol grip on an AR can be removed and installed with a regular screwdriver, it can be perplexing and annoying because the flat ...

Thread: My latest DIY vid: a neat tip to make changing the AR pistol grip easy

Senior Moderator

My latest DIY vid: a neat tip to make changing the AR pistol grip easy

While the pistol grip on an AR can be removed and installed with a regular screwdriver, it can be perplexing and annoying because the flat blade of the screwdriver tends to slip out of the slotted screw - a lot. Also it can be a challenge to get the screw into the grip hole. This little trick solves all those problems and immensely simplifies the process.

I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member
    For my money, I just went to True Value and picked up a 1/4-28x1 socket head cap screw for $0.15, and never looked back.

I don't care if it's not "mil-spec", it just works.

I just removed one of mine today so I could use a longer spring with my selector. I couldn't find my screw holding screwdriver, so it was a pain removing it as usual. When I put it back in, it kept slipping before I could get the screw started. It took about ten minutes to find the other screwdriver, which I used to hold the screw and get it snug. Then I have to switch to the standard screwdriver since the one that holds the screw can't handle the torque.

Even then, it still slips out at least once every time, usually twice.

I like this idea.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Links