Home Defense Shotgun Ammo

This is a discussion on Home Defense Shotgun Ammo within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just acquired a Mossberg 500 Blackhawk 12 ga Tactical shotgun which can handle 2 3/4 and 3" shells. Leaning toward Federal 2 3/4 magnum 00 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Home Defense Shotgun Ammo

Just acquired a Mossberg 500 Blackhawk 12 ga Tactical shotgun which can handle 2 3/4 and 3" shells. Leaning toward Federal
    2 3/4 magnum 00 buck which contain 12 pellets. From what I've read 3" magnum is overkill and heavy recoil. Looking for recommendations as this type of weapon is new to me. Thanks for the help.
    DingBat likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I'm using Federal low recoil flight control 2 3/4" OO Buckshot because I haven't found anyone selling my favorite #1 buckshot.
    Very tight out to 25 yards. 3" pattern at 20 feet. Yes, you do have to aim a shotgun.
    DingBat likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

They are a great choice. Very lethal and less recoil. I have the same shotgun, and while tolerable the 3" rounds will definitely rock your world with more recoil

oldnfat, niks, DingBat and 2 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member
    Currently using Winchester PDX 1 with 3 00 pellets over a 1oz slug. Kicks pretty hard but makes a hole the size of a baseball from 10'.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Any 00 buck will get the job done. I like to pattern my shotguns. I prefer a load that will still be pretty tight at 40 yards. Figure out which slugs your gun like also.
    DingBat and StormRhydr like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

For home defense, stick to 2 3/4" loads. They are plenty good enough to get the job done, kick less, and I think cycle better.

I like the win od green hull mil spec 00 buck. Any cheap rifled slug from remington, federal, or winchester will work, as well. 2 3/4", as well.
    DingBat likes this.

Administrator
    My Home Defense shotgun gets stoked with #4 BUCK.

Works for me.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    RIO has a 2-3/4" #4 Buck that is lower recoil since it only has 21 pellets RIO Buckshot Ammunition : Cabela's

During these four months of winter I use #1 Buck Remington® Express® Buckshot : Cabela's

I have a Mossberg 500 Tactical as one element for HD. It's loaded with #3 bird shot. My goal is to stop/remove a threat whether it's from them leaving or the alternative. Besides, it's easier to spackle over #3 holes in the wall than 00 Buck.
    GWarden likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

It isn't cheap, but #1 Buck is the ticket for a HD Mossy 500. Easy to find online and you only need a few boxes. Train at the range with .00.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member
    I like the Federal Flight control stuff and the #1 buckshot has been on backorder for eight months!
    Can't find it anywhere. Standard #1 buck is readily available though. Meantime it's the Federal flight control oo Buckshot
    for me.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Here's what happened to me when I was shooting 00 buckshot at the range. One pellet ricocheted back off of a target frame about 15 yards away and hit me in the chin. Felt like somebody cracked me in the face with a hammer. Didn't have a mirror handy and it just felt like a ragged bloody mess when I reached up and touched it. Had to walk over and have guy a shooting an AR tell me how bad it looked to him. Wound up driving home (jacket covered in blood) and going to the hospital for stitches. An inch higher and I would have lost teeth. A few more inches higher and would have lost my eye and/or my pulse. It all happened so fast I thought the gun blew apart. Took me a few minutes to figure it out. Right before I went to the hospital, my boss called to see if I could come in for overtime. Told him, "I can't. Just shot myself in the face." He was a little speechless for a second.

100_0142_zpse6af41ff.jpg
    JohnHancock and QKShooter like this.

Buckshot to be sure; skip the magnums, though. I recently experimented with the Federal low-recoil "tactical" LE buckshot, and I was impressed with both the pattern and the low recoil. My friend took a picture of me shooting the 18" 870; one empty shell is in the air and the second is coming out of the chamber on the ejection stroke. I'm locked on target as if I was shooting a .223 - virtually no muzzle rise or enough recoil to push me far back. Pattern-wise, all 9 pellets remained inside an 8-inch circle at 11 yards, which corresponds to the longest indoor shot I have in my current house.

According to Federal, you don't give up much with the reduced-recoil loads:

Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Ammunition
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Now that will be a scar you can tell story's about! Glad you weren't hurt worse.

Personally I use #4 buck with a Mod choke. It gives me a nice tight round pattern out to 35 yards. That's the length of my grass and the light cast from my porch. Id also use turkey, and goose loads out to the same distance. I have used all three loads on Coyotes, Coons and Wild Dogs, and Id be confident it would take the fight out of anyone else shot with them! DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links