My first AR Build

My first AR Build

This is a discussion on My first AR Build within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to the local gun show yesterday with no intent on anything AR related, just looking for a Glock 23 Gen4 ( which I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My first AR Build

My first AR Build

I went to the local gun show yesterday with no intent on anything AR related, just looking for a Glock 23 Gen4 ( which I found for $530!) and maybe the Glock 42... Well I found my 23, but no 42.. I did however find a Spikes tactical lower for $89. Knowing nothing about ARs my cousin said that was a decent deal on that lower so I said what the heck! Found a DPMS lower parts kit for $60 and some Pmags foe $12 so I picked those up as well. Went home and You-tubed the lower assembly and had it together in about 20 min or so. I looked for a while on a complete upper. Ended up ordering a DPMS complete upper for $460 from Midway USA.. It had quite a few good reviews on it, anyone have any input on those uppers? This AR is just for target shooting in the backyard, nothing serious.

DPMS gets a bad rap but their stuff is ok. Last week you could buy the whole weapon for 500.
    Enjoy it not a build but an assembly if you buy a good DPMS lower and CMMG lower parts kit you will be sending rounds down range in no time.
    Be warned if you put the parts in the lower yourself it is not hard but clean the floor you will drop or lose a dent or spring at least once.
    Tape the weapon where you need to install pins and have a roll of tape to use as a block.
    Watch a couple youtube videos on how to put the kit in first. Pretty st right forward stuff.
    Good luck enjoy.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    DPMS gets a bad rap but their stuff is ok. Last week you could buy the whole weapon for 500.
    Enjoy it not a build but an assembly if you buy a good DPMS lower and CMMG lower parts kit you will be sending rounds down range in no time.
    Be warned if you put the parts in the lower yourself it is not hard but clean the floor you will drop or lose a dent or spring at least once.
    Tape the weapon where you need to install pins and have a roll of tape to use as a block.
    Watch a couple youtube videos on how to put the kit in first. Pretty st right forward stuff.
    Good luck enjoy.
    Smitty is right on. My 1st AR was a store bought DPMS. After thousands of rounds the only malfunctions I experienced were ammo or mag related. My two latest assemblies have been a Spikes Tactical and a Palmetto State Armory. I like them both better but that's probably because I built them myself.

Right after sandy hook, when obama was talking about wanting an AWB, AND the things he could do by executive action, I started buying spare AR parts.

A lot of what I could find, and buy, were DPMS parts. From people who know much more about it all than I do, they are supposed to be pretty good. I dont mean the bestest ever, but parts that fit, work, and function. Which is all I care about.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

DPMS is fine for plinker ...

PSA has good sales now and then I think last month they had a psa upper with strikfire on it for like 400 or so...

And spikes is good too .. Heck you ever get a RDIAS the spikes will work with it ...

And yeah that is a good price for spikes
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

IMHO, the $$$ difference between an inexpensive (plinker) AR & a perfectly capable, durable service-carbine is so insignificant that even frugal buyers would be happier to step-up to more "mainstream, mid-grade" components.
    pat701 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Just some thing to consider I own a few AR's of different brands and cost. Some DI some gas piston Zero target for a DPMS assembled weapon using Adams arm gas piston system 6 rounds Iron sights. So much for plinker.
    100_0960.JPG

Thank you for the input! I actually DID drop one of the dents on the kitchen floor, thankfully I had a huge light from the garage plugged in so it was fairly easy to find! Midway already shipped my upper just waiting now! Pretty excited as ive never even touched the internals of AR and got a lower put together in a decent ( for me ) amount of time.. Hoping the funcition test later this week goes as planned!

Quote Originally Posted by iGlock33 View Post
    Thank you for the input! I actually DID drop one of the dents on the kitchen floor, thankfully I had a huge light from the garage plugged in so it was fairly easy to find! Midway already shipped my upper just waiting now! Pretty excited as ive never even touched the internals of AR and got a lower put together in a decent ( for me ) amount of time.. Hoping the funcition test later this week goes as planned!
    Enjoy it as for dropping the dent we all do it. Someday you will have the pleasure of replacing the dust cover door spring. What lower and and kit did you pick ?
    Now that you have the bug keep this in mind. Do not try removing a barrel nut until you
    1. Do the home work
    2. Have the proper blocks to hold the upper in a good vise
    3. Have a good Ar armors wrench

Enjoy it as for dropping the dent we all do it. Someday you will have the pleasure of replacing the dust cover door spring. What lower and and kit did you pick ?
    Now that you have the bug keep this in mind. Do not try removing a barrel nut until you
    1. Do the home work
    2. Have the proper blocks to hold the upper in a good vise
    3. Have a good Ar armors wrench
    It was a Spikes Tactical Lower with a DPMS lower parts kit. Got the lower for $89, and the parts kit for $60

Quote Originally Posted by iGlock33 View Post
    It was a Spikes Tactical Lower with a DPMS lower parts kit. Got the lower for $89, and the parts kit for $60
    How much side slop do you feel with the match up. Not that a little is a big deal just curious
    None
    very slight\wiggle
    slop
    or my this aint right.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    IMHO, the $$$ difference between an inexpensive (plinker) AR & a perfectly capable, durable service-carbine is so insignificant that even frugal buyers would be happier to step-up to more "mainstream, mid-grade" components.
    Agree 100%^^^^ but i must ask the O.P. this question no disrespect is intended so don't get me wrong. If you WANTED to sell your franken AR that you just made, what price do you think someone would pay for it? I know you don't intend to sell it, but do you think someone would give you what you put into building that AR? Yes you learned how to put an AR together and that is a very good thing.
    Last edited by pat701; February 16th, 2014 at 03:24 PM. Reason: correction of spelling

How much side slop do you feel with the match up. Not that a little is a big deal just curious
    None
    very slight\wiggle
    slop
    or my this aint right.
    Once I get my upper in the mail from Midway ill report back on how much slop there is, once I figure out how to assemble the upper to the lower, I would assume just the two pins, but once I get it ill research it.

Everytime I tell myself that I'm never building another AR, I seem to find myself building another AR. It is addictive. Enjoy.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
    Agree 100%^^^^ but i must ask the O.P. this question no disrespect is intended so don't get me wrong. If you WANTED to sell your franken AR that you just made, what price do you think someone would pay for it? I know you don't intend to sell it, but do you think someone would give you what you put into building that AR? Yes you learned how to put an AR together and that is a very good thing.
    If I were to sell it ( which I never will ) I know I wont get what I got into it, endless there is another gun scare that is. I am realistic though with my gun sales. I just sold my old Glock 27 gen 2.5 with alot of mods on it for $460.. If I were to sell this AR im building id probably put it up for $700.00 and be happy with $600.00 or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links