Bought an M&P 15 Sport

This is a discussion on Bought an M&P 15 Sport within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Local dealer had this and a Bushmaster in stock. Bush had a cheap red-dot scope, and as everyone knows, the forward assist. I sat there ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kilowatt3
  • 2 Post By IAm_Not_Lost
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom

Thread: Bought an M&P 15 Sport

Bought an M&P 15 Sport

Local dealer had this and a Bushmaster in stock. Bush had a cheap red-dot scope, and as everyone knows, the forward assist. I sat there for a while pondering the differences. In the end, I liked the hard sights and the thicker barrel (both 5.56 chambered). I can always plonk a scope on it later.

I see on armslist that i paid too much. Buyer's remorse I suppose. Spur of the moment, spur of the moment in hand, hard to find one of these locally, etc. Wanted the Colt 6920, but FFL said it was illegal in my state. I know the S&W is loved by many for a "hobby" AR, and many others say to steer away. Seems to shoot fine no matter what I put into it. What is the real story?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    You have great rifle for the money and then some. Don't be surprised if your next is built by you so you get just what you want.

I had a sport , first year model with the 1-8 twist barrel . Scope it was a moa rifle and had a better than many trigger in it.

Don't know about arms list pricing, check with BUD'S for current new prices. Good luck with yours.

Congrats on a nice little AR!

FFL says the M&P 15 is OK, but the 6920 is illegal??? Wonder what's up with that. I don't know NJ law, but I suspect he's [ahem] mistaken.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Your FFL is wrong a 6920 is legal in NJ and CA.. It does not say or state AR-15 on it which would make it banned .. The older SP1/SPORTS due but the new 6920 say M-4 not banned by name..

Now you would have to put a fixed stock on there ( by pinning or put a a2 stock ) and put a muzzle brake on there or cap off the muzzle thread and ground down the bayo lug ... Or just get the lower and get a 94 ban era AR upper companies make them for ban states too... And legal 6920

Or just buy a match target rifle they are legal out of the box New Jersey State Police - Colt Match Target / Springfield M1A has said they are just fine .. And there you go ready to go rifle...

Unless I am missing something ( after all NJ ..) unless the gun said AR-15 on it and is a 94 ban style gun they tend to be legal .....

All that said nice choice there .. The m&p are not that bad at all..

I assume the stock is fixed and there is a muzzle brake and no bayo lugs ? Did the dealer fix the stock for you.. I know sometime the dealer will pin the stock so its fits you...

What 15 rounders you going to use ? I know MSAR makes and sells pinned models for pretty cheep on CDNN and I know people in NJ make and sell moddy to 15 magpull mags ...
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I have two. Both run fine and are really accurate.

Yeah your FFL is wrong.

Probably a CAR buffer in your 15 sport - add an H2 when you get the chance. You may also have a semi-auto carrier (with un-shrouded firing pin..yikes). Upgrade to a BCM BCG when funds allow.

disclaimer: The above is based on sports I've worked on in the past. Current manufacture may have alleviated the aforementioned issues.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Thanks guys.

I don't know if he pins the stocks himself or his supplier does that, but they are always fully extended, which is annoying. I suspect he would prefer to sell what he has instead of doing a special order that only nets him a small transfer fee. But the purchase experience can't be beat. My LGS uses a deli ticket system to handle the crush of buyers and looky-loos, whereas this guy sells out of his house in a comfortable man cave with snacks, cigars, comfy chairs, etc.
    Someday I'll get my hands on something different.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I just bought one last week from Gander( yes Gander, ironicly not my favorite place lol)
    $699 plus 4 free 30 round mags.
    300 rds ( cheap range ammo) no glitches.
    Great rifle for the $

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    I just bought one last week from Gander( yes Gander, ironicly not my favorite place lol)
    $699 plus 4 free 30 round mags.
    300 rds ( cheap range ammo) no glitches.
    Great rifle for the $

Yeah, that's my remorse. I paid $820 plus tax and only got the single 10-round mag per NJ law. But then again, a year ago you'd be hard pressed to find one at all where I live, and if you did, it would go for $1500 and vanish out the door in minutes.
    And yes, that is me consoling myself a bit.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Everything I have heard and personally observed about these M&P Sports boils down to this: Good quality for the price (maybe even better quality than the price), but lacks a feature or two. I do not believe the lack of forward assist or dust cover is a deal breaker. I would gladly buy one of these guns and almost did back when it was a bit harder to find AR's.
    WrongRecroom and Kilowatt3 like this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by AlDente67 View Post
    Yeah, that's my remorse. I paid $820 plus tax and only got the single 10-round mag per NJ law. But then again, a year ago you'd be hard pressed to find one at all where I live, and if you did, it would go for $1500 and vanish out the door in minutes.
    And yes, that is me consoling myself a bit.
    You do know it is 15 not 10 rounds mags in NJ right ?

MSAR and others make pinned to 15 mags for the AR for the NJ/CO market ..

Next time ask on the NJ shooting foroum they may be able to direct you to a guy who can set up your rifle how you like ..

Or next time your out of state unpinned the stock and put a new one on there pined to how you like ...

The price is not that bad but since I think the sport comes that way from Smith your dealer did not do anything to it .. I know SIG also makes NJ legal ARS ... Not sure on Colt they do make CA legal ones but you will more then likly have to have a dealer mod them to be legall..

Or if you want a colt find one of the target rifles I posted or a old 94 ban era one both should be legal in NJ if they dont say AR-15 on it ...

And oh sorry you can not own a M-1 carbine boy I hope you get that thrown out

And oh if you are ever wanting a AK I will suggest right now getting :

1. A mak 90 as it came into the USA fully NJ legal and in fact ruled by court in NJ to be legal
    2. SAR guns just put a tapco g2 trigger in and they are great AKS ( plus 94 ban guns so stock one will be legal out of box)
    3. Arsnal also makes a NJ legal Ak but it is spendy ..

Honestly you are not as worst off as some ban states .. At least you can have pistol grips and drop free mags you can not have either in CA or NY right now ... And trust me the work arounds are not fun..

And also if you are looking at handguns I know NJ shooting has a whole list of guns that come as is with 15 rounders and are NJ legal..

The glock 19 is a good bet as is the 92fs and bretta guns and the 5906 all good guns with factory 15 rounders ..

Good luck and hey dont worry we have all over payed for something :)
    Eric357 likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Congrats! I'm sure your M&P-15 Sport will serve you well. I know mine has! Enjoy!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Links