Slamfire Ithaca 37

This is a discussion on Slamfire Ithaca 37 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an Ithaca 37 featherweight slug thrower. It's a slamfire so you can hold the trigger back and pump away. I understand the newer ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Slamfire Ithaca 37

Slamfire Ithaca 37

I have an Ithaca 37 featherweight slug thrower. It's a slamfire so you can hold the trigger back and pump away. I understand the newer ones don't have that ability. Does being a slamfire make my Ithaca worth more?

Are there any other shotguns out there that use a slamfire mechansim?

Thanks

fltsfshr
    SteelerFan likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Not currently that I am aware of. Hang on to that one.
    SteelerFan likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member
    Winchester Model 12 also slamfires
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Just an older design feature that was ultimately dispensed with. I believe the biggest problem was that well-worn guns could fire out of battery, which put the shooter and possibly bystanders at some risk. Added value, as in "collectible"? I doubt it.

My 1890 Winchester can do that, too... and it was fun to blast off a dozen shots or so from the hip!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It is not added feature per say but the fact that there is no trigger disc thus you can keep the trigger down as you fire and the classic slamfire gun was the Win Model 1897 a great gun for war M97Trench-gun.jpg

And yeah it will be worth more not many modern shotgun slamefire (when you mean them to that is ..)

So I would hang on to it
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

In bygone years I've slam-fired Winchester Model 12s and a Winchester Model 90 but, other than the novelty of it all, there is no "tactical" advantage to the practice. What slam-firing can do is batter parts to the point that the gun can fire out-of-battery or with the bolt unlocked or not locking properly due to wear. Not an arrangement one really wants to cozy up to.

The guns lacking a trigger disconnect are all long-discontinued models now so there's no real future in abusing them. Best to let one's finger be the trigger disconnect, shoot the gun properly, and take a bit of trouble to aim while you are at it.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    In bygone years I've slam-fired Winchester Model 12s and a Winchester Model 90 but, other than the novelty of it all, there is no "tactical" advantage to the practice. What slam-firing can do is batter parts to the point that the gun can fire out-of-battery or with the bolt unlocked or not locking properly due to wear. Not an arrangement one really wants to cozy up to.

The guns lacking a trigger disconnect are all long-discontinued models now so there's no real future in abusing them. Best to let one's finger be the trigger disconnect, shoot the gun properly, and take a bit of trouble to aim while you are at it.
    Of course if your fighting the Cong in the jungle it can come in handy ( and the Ithach was uses for stooping attacks with slam-firing ) or storming the Hun treachs in 1918 then yeah it was handy .. Heck the Germans hatted the trench gun so much they threaten to shoot anyone found with it ...

But really outside suppresing fire in war there is no reason for it and yeah it might lead to out of battery etc fire ...
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Hi WrongRecroom;

My problem with deliberately slam-firing the old Winchesters was that I couldn't effectively hit much of anything.

Well, I did "shoot the breeze". And, probably trimmed some leaves off of some inoffensive mesquite brush. Short of an assailant absolutely being on top of me, I wouldn't be much of a danger slam-firing in the direction of a target. Probably with practice, one can gain a measure of accuracy but I knew in my heart that I was probably abusing the gun, even before I had any understanding of the locking mechanism.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hi WrongRecroom;

My problem with deliberately slam-firing the old Winchesters was that I couldn't effectively hit much of anything.

Well, I did "shoot the breeze". And, probably trimmed some leaves off of some inoffensive mesquite brush. Short of an assailant absolutely being on top of me, I wouldn't be much of a danger slam-firing in the direction of a target. Probably with practice, one can gain a measure of accuracy but I knew in my heart that I was probably abusing the gun, even before I had any understanding of the locking mechanism.
    No worries I was just saying the trench gun at least was made to slamefire as a put blank range jump into a Hun trench and let them have it gun ... No need to aim in that sit at all just hold and pump and when that fails stick them with the bayo.. And the Seals in Nam would use it for suppressing fire in the thick jungle again wave attacks and as a counter ambush weapon again close range keep there head down gun or so I hear ..
    Winchester Model 1897 - Pump-Action Slide Shotgun - History, Specs and Pictures - Military, Security and Civilian Guns and Equipment
    Random Thoughts by Mark Milliorn: Slamfire Perfection

But your right it is not much use to a average shooter nice to have the options if the crap truly hits the fan and you need to fill a room/hallway with a cloud of buckshot

Love the links, WrongRecroom!

Had an "almost-opportunity" to purchase a couple of real U.S military contract Winchester Model 97 Trench Guns for $250 apiece about 20 years ago. They were both missing their butt plates. I dithered over turning loose of the funds a bit too long and the seller got cold feet and decided to keep them. If I'd have bit that day I'd probably still have the best one, with a replacement butt plate installed.

Ah well...
    WrongRecroom likes this.

My Ithaca Mod 87 M&P does it. Yeah, you can "lay a spray", but I see no real advantage over deliberate fire.
    I imagine the first time it happens unexpectedly to an uninitiated user they'll learn to keep that finger off the trigger while cycling the action.
    The only time I could see it as an advantage would be a panic (from empty) reload while drawing fire.
    But then this is why we practice tactical reloads and do so from cover.
    AMMUNITION: The currency for the new millenium.

And what would the BATFE say on the matter? That you knew it, kept it, didn't divulge, didn't register, and are now a felon in possession?

Thing that make you go "Hmmmmm...."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    My older Ithaca 37 is my home defense shotgun of choice. It is a great shotgun.
    I have the nifty Riot/Police barrel on mine.
    Receiver milled from a solid block of steel. <~~~Nice & Solid.
    It will slam fire and I have done it just fooling around but, there is no real advantage to having that feature for home defense.
    The tendency is to throw shots somewhat inaccurately.
    I guess it is something that could be mastered with practice.

About 5 years ago I did manage to locate a vintage Quick Detach barrel mount sling swivel for mine.

Folks should know that if you are interested in really "tricking out" a shotgun...then be made aware of the fact that there are very few add on doo-dads available for the Ithaca.

Which is just fine with me since I keep mine basically no frills "stock" minus a lot of aftermarket party favors.

Mine does have a rubber recoil pad addition that a gun-smith friend of mine did a beautiful installation on because I needed a bit more stock length.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Soldiers have been betting their lives on those Ithacas for generations. The biggest advance in shotguns in almost a century and a half is the inertial recoil system. I have an M3 Super 90 auto/pump that will fire eight shells frightfully fast on auto and keep them on center if they're not high brass. I've never shot an AA10, but I can't imagine it's cyclic rate is much faster. 3 1/2" magnums...not so much. I like an old pump too, but I have to admit they just can't compete with the technology that's out there today. The good ones will fire almost as fast as an AR.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    And what would the BATFE say on the matter? That you knew it, kept it, didn't divulge, didn't register, and are now a felon in possession?

Thing that make you go "Hmmmmm...."
    Huh???

It's not illegal. Not NFA or AOW or EIEIO. They've got nothing to say about it, yet.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links