Guess What I Got for Christmas

This is a discussion on Guess What I Got for Christmas within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, actually I didn't get all of this for Christmas. The first item is a Saiga .308 that I bought for myself back on December ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Well, actually I didn't get all of this for Christmas. The first item is a Saiga .308 that I bought for myself back on December 9. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet and had decided to wait until I did to post about it. But since I have something to post that I got for Christmas I decided to go ahead. I'll have a range report later.

Now as for what I got for Christmas, I am only going to post pictures of the gun. Back in April we went to visit friends in Vancouver, WA and while there I bought my first SIG. My friend, Larry, got to looking at the Springfield M1A SOCOM because while looking at SIGs I also was looking at the M1A. Before we left Washington Larry said that he was going to buy a M1A SOCOM in the next month or so. I told him if he did I might want to buy his Norinco SKS and he said he'd think about it.

Well Larry bought his SOCOM in May or June and I expected to hear something about the SKS. After a few months of hearing nothing I figured he had decided to keep it. I found out different today. He had been conspiring with my wife and had sent it to a FFL near here. She picked it up last week and then delivered it to her sister's house Saturday. We got up this morning and opened gifts and she said we'll open Larry and Jeanie's gifts when we get back. We went to her sister's house over in Selma and had Christmas with them. We opened presents there as well. It came down to two boxes and I knew one was for her sister. Then my wife picked up a box that looked like it might have a golf umbrella in it and handed it to me. The card said: "To: George From: Larry." It was too heavy to be an umbrella, but I still had no clue. Larry has been known to provide some very creative gifts. So I ripped the paper off and see the label on the front of the box. It was to the FFL from a gun shop in Vancouver. At this point I had pretty much figured it out, but still wasn't sure. I cut the tape on the box and there it was - the Norinco SKS. I couldn't believe it. It's not an expensive rifle, but I have never received a firearm as a gift before. My wife had done the transfer in her name and it was mine.

Here it is.

It's in very good shape. I took it apart tonight and found some gunk a few places, but not any real wear. The barrel is very clean and shows very little wear. Obviously, Larry did not shoot it much. So now I have the Saiga which is an AK design but chambered for the .308 (7.62X51) round and a very nice SKS chambered for 7.62X39. Now I need to go fire both. I also need magazines for both. The Saiga comes with an 8 round mag and until recently it was hard to get any high cap mags. I did an extensive search on the web and found new made in the US 20 round mags for the Saiga .308. They are a little pricey, but $45 is not an outrageous price for mags that are that hard to find. The SKS came with only one 20 round mag, but that should be easy to find. I'll wait until January 6 when I go to a gun show to get another for it. I'll get some 7.62X39 ammo at the same time.

I'll post more when I get to shoot them.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Congrats. Christmas firearms are always a good gift.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Very nice and the wife was conspring behind your back to get ya another gun thats very nice also

VIP Member
    Very nice, George! I'm looking forward to your range reports...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Congrats on the fine gift!

I got lucky for Christmas too, got a Mauser K98 from my Dad, and also (until/if he ever asks for it back) got his old Ruger Blackhawk SA .357 magnum, and a Harrington and Richardson .22magnum rifle. I'm glad to see that there's still lots of surplus 8mm Mauser ammo out there, since I'm really looking forward to getting the Mauser cleaned up and shooting it some.

Assistant Administrator
    Leah did well methinks - oh and Larry!!

Must say George my Norinco SKS is by far my favorite - having 2 others which are Romanian and Yugo. Only thing that is slightly puzzling is my Norinco has a spike bayo - yours has the blade - and so even wondering if that could be a Romanian at all.

Hardly matters - you will enjoy it!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Congrats on the Norinco! It's a great addition to any collection.

As far as 30 rd. magazines, I fing the USA brand is the only brand that functions like it's supposed to.

I think someone's got a great friend named Larry!

Have fun and shoot safe!
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Congrats...

Nice gun...nicer wife...

Enjoy...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xsquidgator View Post
    Congrats on the fine gift!

I got lucky for Christmas too, got a Mauser K98 from my Dad, and also (until/if he ever asks for it back) got his old Ruger Blackhawk SA .357 magnum, and a Harrington and Richardson .22magnum rifle. I'm glad to see that there's still lots of surplus 8mm Mauser ammo out there, since I'm really looking forward to getting the Mauser cleaned up and shooting it some.
    You did well! The Ruger Blackhawk should be real fun to shoot. I have never been much of a rifle person, but as of late I have created a want list and the Mauser K98 is on it. Have fun.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    very nice
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Leah did well methinks - oh and Larry!!

Must say George my Norinco SKS is by far my favorite - having 2 others which are Romanian and Yugo. Only thing that is slightly puzzling is my Norinco has a spike bayo - yours has the blade - and so even wondering if that could be a Romanian at all.

Hardly matters - you will enjoy it!
    Chris, Leah had asked me to make a wishlist of what I wanted for Christmas and since I didn't want her buying me a gun I listed several books. BTW the reason I did not want her buying me a gun is that I expected the FFL and knew I could get better prices after I got it. She bought me 5 great books. The Gun Digest Book of Exploded Gun Drawings, The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part I: Automatic Pistols and Part II: Revolvers both 2nd Ed., Rifles of the World 3rd Ed., and Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3rd Ed. in hardback. The Smith & Wesson book was not due out until January 6, but somebody at Gun Digest figured out that before Christmas is better than after Christmas and got it out early.

I the Rifles of the World book speaking of the Chinese SKS says: "The earliest guns were generally made of blued steel and had knife-bladed bayonets. . . Later examples had triangular-blade bayonets." This may still not be one of the early ones, but one that was modified for import. There are several reasons to think that. The serial number on the stock. There is an old 4 digit number on the stock which was Xed out and a new number stamped in. The new 4 digit number matches the last 4 of the serial number on the receiver. The wood in the magazine well shows the same appearance of age as other not lacquered wood on the rifle. The section of the stock at the fore end has a place that has been removed and a new portion installed. This is the section where the bayonet rests when folded back. In the close up views below you can see the line where the section was replaced just below the steel pin that shows on both sides. Since I have never had an SKS I don't know if the patch is normal, but I did look at several photos online and did not see them there. So I guess it is possible that the bayonet is not the one that originally came with this stock, and whether it was the one that came with the receiver originally is open to discussion as well.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. If it ever becomes necessary to use the bayonet, I won't care whether it has a knife blade or a triangular spike type.
    Attached Images
    George

VIP Member
    srfl is official jealous!

Enjoy the Saiga!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I made out pretty good too.
    The hardware store where I buy my needed items and have come to be friends with the owners has an FFL and a "Gun Corner" run by a younger employee, Travis. They have had a "Barrel-O-Guns" by the register with Moisens and Turkish Mausers priced at $79.99 for a while and I have been tempted.
    The supply was getting low and I told Travis I should have grabbed one while there were some good ones still there, well he pulls out one he has had stuck back. I tell him I will "hide" it in a purchase of 3 garage door openers after the New Year.

Well Christmas morning after all the other presents were opened the wife comes up with one more, in a rather long box.....The Mauser I had Travis put away for me

She had gone into the store and asked Travis if he knows of something I was wanting, he pulls out the Mauser and says he knew I wanted one and here is a nice one he was holding back.

The wife came out pretty good too...A local "Big Box" was going out of business so she got a pearl pendent necklace with matching ear rings and ring plus a emerald & diamond pendent necklace with matching ear rings and ring

Travis has some Mauser barreled actions on hand; they don't have the best barrels so he used the stocks to replace cracked stocks of rifles with good bores. I think I will "hide" a couple of those in the garage door opener purchase for building a couple rifles on later. One will be a fluted medium heavy barreled .25-06 in a composite stock.

Those are some nice Christmas presents....luck you.

You will enjoy them I predict.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I envy you, Brother....

Congrats, and in a big way. You've got a good friend, great weapons and a fantastic wife.

ENJOY!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links