if you were broke and needed an complete upper for your ar15...

This is a discussion on if you were broke and needed an complete upper for your ar15... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ... what would you get. I won a lower receiver and ccmg lower parts kit from full spectrum firearms in Fresno....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: if you were broke and needed an complete upper for your ar15...

... what would you get. I won a lower receiver and ccmg lower parts kit from full spectrum firearms in Fresno.

2. Remove Ads

I would save my pennies until I had enough money to buy a good upper.

PSA is a good mid-grade brand (not the PTAC) they sell.

If you cheap out on the upper, odds are you will want to replace it eventually. Save up, and buy once.

It's not like there is a shelf life for a lower, it's good pretty much forever.
    pittypat21, Aceoky and rocky like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Buy once - cry once. Wait until you can afford a good upper. Don't go out to dinner for a few months and boom you have enough for a quality upper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    StormRhydr likes this.

I will add, here are some features I would be seeking out:

Chrome lined barrel/chamber
    5.56x45 Nato chamber
    Flat top (can always add a carrying handle if you prefer, but has a lot more options available)
    Mid length gas system
    Barrel length is your choice, (a 14.5" with a permanently pinned and welded flash hider is shorted than a 16.5" barrel, and still legal).
    I like CHF barrels
    Go with a full auto/M-16 style BCG (MPI & shot peened)
    Aceoky and CommonCents like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Sell me the lower and you will then have money for your upper
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Although I have been hearing bad things about PSA's customer service, I saw on their website the other day an upper that came with a vortex strikefire red dot but no BCG/charging handle for about $399. There is also Spikes tactical and they have complete uppers for as low as $550.
    Here's the link for the PSA upper PSA 16" M4 Premium Strikefire Upper - Without BCG or Charging Handle
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I would go here -
    ARPartsFinder.com - Find AR15 parts in stock now

first and see what you can find to fell my list first and make notes. Got to get as much as you can with a few orders as you can too.

Run your search from low to high priced.

BCM
    Aceoky likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

OP - is this your first AR? Did you just want an AR to experiment if you want to continue pursing this platform? Or just for weekend tin can shooting out on the farm/range? If so, get any old upper and have a blast. Like this one:

PTAC 16" M4 1:7" 5.56 NATO YHM Rifle Length Diamond Upper with BCG and Charging Handle

People will frown at me for this suggestion but not everyone wants to run a 1000 round a day carbine "operator" class. Some of us just want to have the fun of owning an AR. For casual shooters, PSA, DPMS or Del-ton offer good entry level uppers.

If later you decide to upgrade, sell off the starter rifle and move up to a Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT or similar. Or keep this AR for sentimental purposes. Odds are it will still be running good - as long as you don't go to war with it.
    Richard58 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    OP - is this your first AR? Did you just want an AR to experiment if you want to continue pursing this platform? Or just for weekend tin can shooting out on the farm/range? If so, get any old upper and have a blast. Like this one:

PTAC 16" M4 1:7" 5.56 NATO YHM Rifle Length Diamond Upper with BCG and Charging Handle

People will frown at me for this suggestion but not everyone wants to run a 1000 round a day carbine "operator" class. Some of us just want to have the fun of owning an AR. For casual shooters, PSA, DPMS or Del-ton offer good entry level uppers.

If later you decide to upgrade, sell off the starter rifle and move up to a Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT or similar. Or keep this AR for sentimental purposes. Odds are it will still be running good - as long as you don't go to war with it.
    I am going to disagree here, while I have no issue with PSA rifles, the PTAC line is a separate line sold by PSA.

The PSA "Premium" line rifles will have much better fit and finish, and are worth spending a little bit more for than the PTAC rifles.
    rocky and Aceoky like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post

It is for casual shooting (probably 5-8 times a year) and home defense. This will be my first ar15 and I must build it on the cheap as I am also getting a new pistol soon as well. I have another lower for my wife and between hers and mine we'll have one plinkers and one self-defense cqb carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLessPrius View Post
    It is for casual shooting (probably 5-8 times a year) and home defense. This will be my first ar15 and I must build it on the cheap as I am also getting a new pistol soon as well. I have another lower for my wife and between hers and mine we'll have one plinkers and one self-defense cqb carbine.
    Self defense is a bit of a different story. You'd want to go with something at least mid end for that, not an el cheapo PTAC or budget bottom of the barrel upper. The reason? A rifle that fails during a home invasion due to being dropped or banged against walls or simply by chance will not be a good thing. Self defense isn't a play situation anymore. It's serious. So I'd consider a somewhat serious upper for a job like that. Higher end Stag Arms. Maybe a higher end DPMS. Maybe a S&W M&P-15 Sport upper if you can find one. A Colt upper may push closer to $1k. Most of the higher end brands will cost you as well.

IMO stick to a good reliable handgun like a Glock, S&W or Ruger or get a nice and reliable pump action shotgun. Getting both handgun and shotgun will be cheaper than a good upper. But a good upper (and honestly lower as well) are essential for self defense. It's your life we're talking about. And a few $100 saved will seem foolish when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    If you are broke, just finance the project, get what you want, file bankruptcy and get a bailout from the government...It's the "American Way"...
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post
    If you are broke, just finance the project, get what you want, file bankruptcy and get a bailout from the government...It's the "American Way"...
    Dave Ramsey would not approve this post!

I am going to be blunt and honest. If I were broke I would not be messing around with an AR. I would be working on not being broke.
    That is why I am not broke today.
    MrBuckwheat and Aceoky like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links