Gun Sights...

This is a discussion on Gun Sights... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will be getting [the money for] a new hi-point 995 HD carbine around New Years Day. This has got me thinking about configuration. I ...

Thread: Gun Sights...

Gun Sights...

I will be getting [the money for] a new hi-point 995 HD carbine around New Years Day.

This has got me thinking about configuration. I want to put a laser on it, but for ease of access and other reasons I want to mount it above the chamber where the carbines accessory rail is. This would mean removing the iron sights that the gun comes with (which is easy enough to do). Eventualy I will also mount a flashlight on it as well.

If funds allow I might get a Light/Laser combo, but for now it looks like I'm going with a BSA: http://www.bsaoptics.com/productdeta...rod_Code=LS650

Any thoughts?
    If anti-gun legislators truly believed that guns kill people, the guns would be on the witness stand and the assailent would be holding the "Exhibit A" sign.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    BSA is great for range use, but I would rather have irons on for serious defensive use. any way to mount a red dot and leave the irons on?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I Would Leave The Iron Sights...

and work around them, somehow...
    If I could only have one...I'd keep the iron sights. I just purchased a Marlin 336SS. I 'may' put a scope on it, but even then I would want to still be able to use my iron sights. One modification though, I did replace the front sight with a fibre optics...for 60 y/o eyes...

Enjoy your decision...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There is one viable option, the laser for this firearm is usually mounted at the muzzle, on a compensator.

I would rather have the laser attached to the gun itself, but the forearm of the gun is at a slight angle which would inherently point the laser upward. Mounting the laser on the side would also cause problems.

In order to mount a sight onto the gun I believe it is nessesary to remove the rear sight. I'm not sure.

Last edited by Wheel-man; December 26th, 2006 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Addendum
    If anti-gun legislators truly believed that guns kill people, the guns would be on the witness stand and the assailent would be holding the "Exhibit A" sign.

Lasers don't replace sights, they are only a low light aid, I would absolutely never replace sights with a laser. BSA's are not known for quality as well, if this is a serious defensive rifle I would pass and save up for a quality red dot sight like an Eotech or Aimpoint.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Lasers don't replace sights, they are only a low light aid, I would absolutely never replace sights with a laser. BSA's are not known for quality as well, if this is a serious defensive rifle I would pass and save up for a quality red dot sight like an Eotech or Aimpoint.
    As long as we're saving for better equipment....

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    That's another topic for another day my friend

before i got the high-point i would look at the kel tec long guns and they got a nice 223 pistol. or you could find a good used lever action rifle that will met all your needs.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I'm in college, and it's sucking my wallet dry...

before i got the high-point i would look at the kel tec long guns and they got a nice 223 pistol. or you could find a good used lever action rifle that will met all your needs.
    I thought about Kel-tec myself, however I wouldn't be able to practice with it. My local range is a pistol range, rifle rounds and shotshells are completely out of the question. With a pistol caliber carbine I'd be able to practice with it there and learn how it works. I would hate to have to "test" a gun during a confrontation. It does have good reviews.
    http://www.themartialist.com/0604/hipoint.htm

Point taken. What about laserlyte?
    Last edited by Wheel-man; December 27th, 2006 at 12:41 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Wheel-man View Post
    I thought about Kel-tec myself, however I wouldn't be able to practice with it. My local range is a pistol range, rifle rounds and shotshells are completely out of the question. With a pistol caliber carbine I'd be able to practice with it there and learn how it works. I would hate to have to "test" a gun during a confrontation.
    You absolutely need to practice with a weapon beforehand if you intend to use it for personal defense. However, I will point out that Kel-Tec has their own pistol caliber carbine.

You absolutely need to practice with a weapon beforehand if you intend to use it for personal defense. However, I will point out that Kel-Tec has their own pistol caliber carbine.
    Thanks, and I agree that practice is paramount.

I did look at the Kel-tec Sub2K and it looks like a good choice for most. However there are three factors (which I read about from seemingly reliable sources) that caused me to dismiss that choice. First is that I've read on several occasions that the sights are lacking (especially the front sight), second the trigger is heavy and does not smooth out with use, and lastly, NJ has banned hi-cap mags exceeding 15 rounds.

If I were able to get the 33 rounders for glocks I might have chosen that weapon, but alas...

Links