Made a great score on .300 Blackout Ammo

This is a discussion on Made a great score on .300 Blackout Ammo within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I frequent the facebook gun forums trying my best not to comment to those who's idea of tactical is filling in the letters on the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tacman605

Thread: Made a great score on .300 Blackout Ammo

VIP Member

Made a great score on .300 Blackout Ammo

I frequent the facebook gun forums trying my best not to comment to those who's idea of tactical is filling in the letters on the slide with fingernail polish, anyways I had joined a new group and immediately noticed a different crowd.

High end NFA products, quality armor, optics and ammo. In one of the posts a gent was selling his .300 BO SBR upper an mentioned he had ammo for it. I have been researching .300 BO ammo since I ordered mine and you have to kind of grab what you can when you can or be stuck paying $1.00 a round or more.

I contacted this guy who lives in Alabama and purchased 1820 rounds for $1300.00. This will give me ammo to shoot for a bit and also a supply of ready made brass for reloading. I have also found a commercial ammo business in North Arkansas that seems to have a decent supply and quantity of 5.56 and
    9 mm ammo. I have made arrangements to pick up a sample pack of each to see how they shoot, I won't be the one shooting, but I can at least watch lol.

He is also looking at manufacturing .22 LR. The equipment from Europe is 3.2 million dollars but will produce standard and match varieties.

Anyways had to share
    StormRhydr and WrongRecroom like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Supersonic or subsonic 300 BO ? As I recall this is a round tailor made for silencer
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Combination of both. Yes the requirement set forth was an M4/AR platform and round that was quieter than an MP5SD, which is the subgun standard the world over.

From what I have seen supersonic rounds are quiet, still have the crack of the bullet of course, but the subsonic rounds are very, very quiet.

LANGUAGE WARNING..........LANGUAGE WARNING............LANGUAGE WARNING he says a cuss word..........he says a cuss word

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My son bought a .330 upper and promptly dumped a bag of 5.56 cases on me to convert. I need dies, sonny boy--dies! I suppose he'll expect me to reload them also--on my dime!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Well of course however only after you take the gun out for extended testing

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Supersonic or subsonic 300 BO ? As I recall this is a round tailor made for silencer
    Suppressing subsonics well is a nice bonus, but it was not the primary goal. You hear a lot of guys say that's its primary strength, but it's just one of the benefits. Due to the relationship AAC has with certain military units, they approached AAC for an MP5SD sized rifle utilizing the m16 receiver that could be a replacement for the MP5SD, MP7, 10.3" HK416, etc. It is an extremely capable supersonic bullet that doesn't have near the rainbow trajectory that many claim it does.

6.8 saw a little military use, but you can't suppress the short ones, and it has a good bit of blast, concussion and recoil.

Due to fast burning powder and the case mouth size (I believe) compared to 5.56, 300blk only needs about 8" of barrel to fully burn its powder. This is why we only see an increase of about 200fps going from 9" to 14.5". 5.56 needs about 18" of barrel to get a full burn of powder, which is why we lose 500fps or more when going from 16" to 10.5".

This is is the reason that 300blk has noticeably less blast and concussion than 5.56, even when comparing a 9" 300blk to a 14.5" 5.56.

A suppressed 300blk with subsonics isn't really quieter than the Mp5SD, but it's very close. The big benefit is that you're a magazine change away from supersonic ammo without having to worry about an adjustable gas port. The MP5SD is subsonic no matter what ammo you run through it. Actually, you have to run supersonic through it for proper function. Being subsonic is the job of the gun, not the ammo int hat case. So there's no way to push the ammo to supersonic speed.

Every time I shoot mine, I like it more.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

So would an AR with a .300 blackout upper be a good HD choice? Worried about hearing damage just in case auditory exclusion didn't work out for me. :)

VIP Member
    do yo mind sharing the bullet weights that are offered?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    As far as bullet weights anything .30 cal pretty much from 110 to 220 grain.

Yep it only takes 8 - 9 inches of barrel length to burn all the powder up. I do not see why it would not make a great HD rifle.

Thanks for the info Jon cannot wait to get home and try this thing

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLife View Post
    So would an AR with a .300 blackout upper be a good HD choice? Worried about hearing damage just in case auditory exclusion didn't work out for me. :)
    Definitely, it's an excellent choice for home defense. Contrary to popular belief, auditory exclusion doesn't really protect your hearing, it just prevents the shock of loud noises. Damage is still done.

300blk is noticeably less concussive than 5.56 or 6.8. Anything above something like 130 decibels is considered not to be hearing safe, which pretty much all will be, but the concussion level is what most affects us when firing. So, a 300blk might not cause that much less hearing damage than 5.56 (I'm not a doctor, but I'm assuming damage would still be close), but the concussion would be less likely to affect us.

Both 5.56 and 300blk loaded with good defensive ammo will be considerably more effective than a handgun. It's unlikely either will be noticeably more or less effective than the other at stopping a threat within 50 yards. But, the range will be more significant with 300blk, which is never a bad thing.

What really sold me on 300blk was that I could use a 9" barrel and get similar or better results than using a 16" 5.56, with the added benefit of less concussion, less blast and a larger diameter bullet.

For defensive use, the FBI recommends 12" to 18" of penetration. 14" to 18" is a little more idea than 12" though. When looking at gelatin tests, the layered denim is most realistic in terms of real world penetration.

Now, with 5.56, we have loads that are ideal in terms of penetration. We can use a rapidly fragmenting OTM like 75gr TAP where we want to stay heavy for more and larger fragments, or we can use a barrier blind bonded or solid copper bullet like 62gr Gold Dot or 50gr TSX which are probably two of the best all around choices. They'll easily defeat intermediate barriers like auto glass, yet still penetrate the required depths while expanding nicely. For these, lighter bullets are preferred, typically 62 or 64gr for bonded bullets and 50gr to 62gr for solid copper. All of these will over-penetrate interior walls similar or in the case of OTM, less than pretty much all defensive handgun ammo.

Right now, we do not have a true fragmenting 300blk, which is not a bad thing. But we also don't have a really good barrier blind that doesn't penetrate deep. This is perfectly fine, and even a good thing when over penetration is not a concern like hunting or military use. But for LE in the US or home defense, it would be nice to see something that is designed to expand early but still penetrate about 14" to 18".

110gr Black Tip TSX right now is the absolute king of 300blk ammo. It's my choice for all uses. It penetrates about 20" to 22" in some cases. I would not hesitate to use or refomend it for law enforcement or home defense, but it is something to be aware of. For me, it doesn't change a thing as I expect ALL AMMO to laser beam right through everything, so I'm vigilant about being aware of foreground and background.

125gr Hornady SST, 125gr Speer TNT and even 110gr VMAX can all be good choices. 55gr VMAX is a terrible home defense choice in 5.56. It's explosive and does not penetrate nearly enough in many cases. But VMAX 110gr is a different story. Since it's a 308 bullet, it's traveling at lower velocities when loaded for 300blk. Because of this, it will expand instead of fragment. It'll also penetrate within the FBI standard. It is not a bonded bullet and not the best choice for law enforcement or use when you may encounter an intermediate barrier, but it's a fine choice for home defense.

Keep in mind that the majority of 300blk bullets are actually designed for 7.62x51 velocities and have a minimum expansion threshold around 1,800 or so, and may not do that well in 300blk. Remington 300blk ammo and 110gr Barnes TSX Black Tip are designed specifically for 300blk. This is why Black Tip, which has an expansion threshold of about 1,300fps, will expand reliably at 340 yards from a 9" barrel. That's farther than almost all 5.56 bullets from a 16" barrel, and about three times what m855 will do from a 16" 5.56 barrel.

This year we'll be seeing more ammo manufacturers loading for 300blk and soon we will see more bonded defensive options.

So, to sum up my long winded post..... 300blk will make an awesome home defense rifle. Like with any firearm, just be aware of your foreground and background.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Here's some data I've put together for 300blk with a couple different loads using a 50 yard zero from a 9" AAC barrel.

300blk Barnes 110gr TTSX Black Tip .264 1,300fps
    Velocity - 9" 2,120fps | 16" 2,390fps
    Expansion Threshold - 9" 335y | 16" 430y
    Trajectory with 50/zero
    9" 50/135z | 100y +0.9" | 150y -0.9" | 200y -5.5" | 300y -26" | 400y -65"
    16" 50/170z | 100y +1.5" | 150y +0.7" | 200y -2.4" | 300y -16.8" | 400y -45"

300blk 125gr Hornady SST .305
    Velocity - 9" 2,050fps
    Expansion Threshold - 9" 125y
    Trajectory with 50/zero
    9" 50/130z | 100y +0.8" | 150y -1.3" | 200y -6.4" | 300y -27.5" | 400y -66"

300Blk 125gr SMK - .326
    Velocity - 9" 2,050fps
    Expansion Threshold - 9" 115y
    Trajectory with 50/zero
    9" 50/135z | 100y +0.8" | 150y -1.2" | 200y -6.2" | 300y -26.6" | 400y -64"

300Blk 220gr Sierra 220gr Subsonic - .72 bc
    Velocity - 9" 1,020fps
    Expansion Threshold - N/A
    Trajectory with 50 (peaks at 50, no secondary crossing line of sight)
    9" - 75y -2.2" | 100y -6.5" | 125y -12.8" | 150y -21.6" | 200y -46" | 250y -80" | 300y -123.7"

Links