Recommend AK mags

This is a discussion on Recommend AK mags within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking to purchase some more AK mags. What AK mags do you use and what have you had good/bad service with? Are the newer poly-mags ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Recommend AK mags

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

Recommend AK mags

Looking to purchase some more AK mags. What AK mags do you use and what have you had good/bad service with? Are the newer poly-mags any good? Specifically, I looking at some Korean made steel mags. I know, I'm... frugal.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

2. Remove Ads

I have used P mags and they functioned fine. I didn't think the snapped in as easy as steel mags. But they were $7.99 at sportsman warehouse

The better question is what ak or sks do you have ?

I ask cause cause some mags just dont work with some AK... I have a bunch of ak mags from chia/poland/romian/Russian and so on and some guns just dont work with some mags ... The issue is most AK now are de sported rifles where someone took a dremial to the magwell so it will take AK mags over 10 rounds ...

That said for the money Tapco mags are decent and lightwight and I have found that they seem to be made for de sported Aks ... Some of the orginal pre import ban aks and sks dont work as well with them..

Some of the best AK mags if you ask me are the Circle 10 bulgrian but they are pricty and are made for pre importan ban or well converted Aks... Persoanl I like the bakerlight AK mags but they too are very pricy..

IMOP for the money buy a bunch of Romiain AK mags .. Basic and they seem to work in most AK/sks out there and are about 10 bucks or so a pop if you look around (Seen 10 for a 100 deals )... Imop korean mags are ok but like the other Bulgrian non circle 10s they are no mil mags they are commerical mags ...

So if your trying to be cheep buy Tapcos if you want light weight or if you want rock soild mags get most any surplus Mags Rominan etc ...
    DingBat likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Just to add some of the mil mags will have cosmoline on them .. Simply green and a dryer brush are great for that ( I let them sit outside in the hot sun for a while then soaked and scrub with gloves on ) then oil .... But usually they are not that bad
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Also shoul be notted that VZ58 mags are not AK mags though they look like it ..

And if we are talking a 223/5.45 etc AK then again differnt mags and more limted and pricy in options

And also if we are talking a saige that is not converted same issues

So for the money buy most any surplus mag from a country that was a user of the AK and you should be ok ... China and russian mags are great but harder to find ... E german are great and Romianin etc will work great and yugo mags as well..

Ex Member
    In the last 25-30 years I have owned 10-15 different AK's. With STEEL European mags they were all 100%. Plastic mags? Some worked, some didn't. For SERIOUS WORK use ONLY STEEL. Playing at the range go with plastic.
    Gunnutty and Bad Bob like this.

I've heard good things about the Pmags. My cousin has a bunch of the Circle 10 (I think?) mags, and they are good.

I have owned AK variant rifles since the 80's and I can tell you that I stick with surplus steel mags... period. I prefer the chinese with 3 witness holes and chrome followers but any [real] steel surplus mag will do. There are simply to many available for cheap to ever really consider the aftermarket. I will make an exception for MAGPUL due to their outstanding reputation. I however do not have any plans to buy any of their AK mags but have been very pleased with their AR mags and have read good reviews of their AK mags.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

tapco is fine for ak mags..

Distinguished Member
    For the 7.62x39 I prefer the Chinese mags but any European surplus steel mag is fine. ALL of the plastic mags other than the Circle 10's (expensive) are junk! If you are serious, get the steel surplus mags, excepting for the Korean steel junk. The spotwelds break on them, weak springs, etc.. Been playing with AK's for 50 years!
    Bad Bob and Brady like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I agree with the steel surplus mags. I have never had an issue and they make good clubs.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

VIP Member
    Steel surplus always seem to work. Bulgarian Circle 10 and Russian Bakelites are great for serious work if you can find them. The Yugo mags with the bolt hold open do work however they only lock the bolt back while the mag is in. As soon as you remove it the bolt goes forward so you still have to run the bolt when you put a new mag in however it does give you a visual reference that the gun is empty.

I have not had a chance to use the new magpul's yet. Tapco's either work or they don't there seems to be no middle ground with them.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Steel surplus always seem to work. Bulgarian Circle 10 and Russian Bakelites are great for serious work if you can find them. The Yugo mags with the bolt hold open do work however they only lock the bolt back while the mag is in. As soon as you remove it the bolt goes forward so you still have to run the bolt when you put a new mag in however it does give you a visual reference that the gun is empty.

I have not had a chance to use the new magpul's yet. Tapco's either work or they don't there seems to be no middle ground with them.

When shooting my AK's I put tracer rounds in the last 2-3 rounds.

Surplus Commie magazine are the best quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links