AR quality melanite vs. chrome etc..

This is a discussion on AR quality melanite vs. chrome etc.. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Starting to poke around for either off shelf AR deal or putting together upper/lower kits. Wondering what the updates are for the various component treatments ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 1 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 1 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By IAm_Not_Lost

Thread: AR quality melanite vs. chrome etc..

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar

Starting to poke around for either off shelf AR deal or putting together upper/lower kits.

Wondering what the updates are for the various component treatments and finishes are for longevity/quality/accuracy etc....

pros and cons of melonite/chrome lined/CHF etc..... how do they stack up?

Thanks!

Really not sure if there are any cons to the melonite. My melonite AAC barrel is the most accurate barrel I own. Not a fair comparison though as it's a different caliber.

Chrome lining will never be as smooth and it will affect accuracy, even if it's a small amount.

I buy because of the manufacturer and quality, and I'm content with whichever it comes with. I guess if I had to choose, I'd probably say melonite as long as there's no more maintenance required. From what I understand, it protects as well as chrome lining and doesn't need any more attention unlike a stainless or non-lined barrel.
    CommonCents likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Melonite done right is equal to even better than Chrome . At one time Chrome was the best there was. Time changes things.
    I own a few with Melonite. They are top of the line.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    what about BCG's? Chrome, NiB.... what do ya'll like? i'm looking at the WMD NiB-X.... the heavier Full Auto M16 style too... gonna put it in a BCM 12.5 upper, ya'll think i'll need a H2 buffer with that set up?
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

H2. You could probably get away with an h3 if you only shoot 5.56 and could get away with an H if you only shoot 223. But the H2 is your best bet.

Well, your best option will be the Vltor a5 RE since it uses a rifle action spring but will still accept any collapsible stock and is only 3/4" longer. It offers a more consistent cyclic rate, will be more reliable whether it's noticed or not and will shoot a little softer. Great choice all around.
    DingBat likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Anybody run an Anderson Manufacturing rifle/components? They claim to be specially treated and require little or no lubrication. Just curious as they are down the road from me.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I just bought a Colt LE6920 and called it good.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    what about BCG's? Chrome, NiB.... what do ya'll like? i'm looking at the WMD NiB-X.... the heavier Full Auto M16 style too... gonna put it in a BCM 12.5 upper, ya'll think i'll need a H2 buffer with that set up?
    Someone just told me about this BCG option the other day: Aim Surplus black nitride BCG for $99.

At the very least is a good price and has seen great reviews, the nitride finish is suppose to be extremely durable and relatively slick. The one point of debate is the 9310 bolt steel vs 158C.
    DingBat likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    My S&W MP-15 has melonite and it seems to be holding up well. From what I understand (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) melonite is very similar to Glocks tennifer finish. I can personally attest to tennifer being a VERY durable finish that does well in the hot humid salty environment that I used to work in.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Links