AR? AK? M1 Garand? What's Your Fave MBR?

AR? AK? M1 Garand? What's Your Fave MBR?

This is a discussion on AR? AK? M1 Garand? What's Your Fave MBR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I noticed in another thread today some cat who was here and who was louder than me said (I think) AR's are ugly?!? A day ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: AR? AK? M1 Garand? What's Your Fave MBR?

Cool AR? AK? M1 Garand? What's Your Fave MBR?

I noticed in another thread today some cat who was here and who was louder than me said (I think) AR's are ugly?!?

A day late and a dollar short...that's me kids. FlowersOfLife or some such was his handle. He kinda reminded me of an old buddy from the 90's. Dave was loud like me too. He liked the Dirty Harry 44
    and I believe he'd be fairly gaga over an AR. Personally I like the Daniel Defense AR's. I like the clean sleek lines.

Of course if I told y'all the real 2 reasons why I got an AK I'd be called a tin foil madhatter. Oh well.
    Mine was used and I ain't told no one what I paid for it. It was a private sale so I saved about 50 bucks not paying tax+it's a no paper rifle. And now I'm stuck with it+some AK ammo.

But I'm slowly coming around. Those of you in the AK camp I would truly like to hear why you chose an AK over an AR.

Those of you in the AR camp I'd like to hear your reasons for choosing the AR over an AK.

Those of you that for whatever reason chose say an M1 Garand or a lever action Henry 45-70 or .303 SMLE I wanna know why.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I noticed in another thread today some cat who was here and who was louder than me said (I think) AR's are ugly?!?

A day late and a dollar short...that's me kids. FlowersOfLife or some such was his handle. He kinda reminded me of an old buddy from the 90's. Dave was loud like me too. He liked the Dirty Harry 44
    and I believe he'd be fairly gaga over an AR. Personally I like the Daniel Defense AR's. I like the clean sleek lines.

Of course if I told y'all the real 2 reasons why I got an AK I'd be called a tin foil madhatter. Oh well.
    Mine was used and I ain't told no one what I paid for it. It was a private sale so I saved about 50 bucks not paying tax+it's a no paper rifle. And now I'm stuck with it+some AK ammo.

But I'm slowly coming around. Those of you in the AK camp I would truly like to hear why you chose an AK over an AR.

Those of you in the AR camp I'd like to hear your reasons for choosing the AR over an AK.

Those of you that for whatever reason chose say an M1 Garand or a lever action Henry 45-70 or .303 SMLE I wanna know why.
    There is just something about the feeling of shooting a classic battle rifle such as the Garand that is not duplicated by shooting the AR-15.

P1010186.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    FN-FAL
    tdave, atctimmy and OD* like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Can this be multiple choice?

I like ARs and M1s because they just feel like the sports car firearms of their times.

My PSA build has always been great, and my newest DD AR is starting to smooth out and is definitely my "nicest" firearm so far. My recently adopted SA M1 Garand is also wonderful. For being a big beautiful chunk of walnut and steel, it just feels right.
    Attached Images

I have owned several war surplus rifles and black rifles over the years. I sold a bunch of them a year ago January on consignment through a LGS. I have never owned an AK or SKS, but have shot real AK-47s in Viet Nam. They have ballistics similar to a .30-30 and I would rather have a Winchester 94 lever-action rifle in .30-30 over an AK or SKS. The two black rifles I kept were a Colt LE6920 with a carry handle and iron sights for nostalgia and range time and an Armalite AR-10 in 7.62X51mm (.308). I prefer a Springfield Armory M1A, but after two rotator cuff surgeries, the felt recoil of the AR-10 works better for me. I also sold my .458 Lott rifle and my Marlin .45/70 Cowboy rifle after the surgeries.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

MBR? I have a Franken-FAL made mostly from a metric uppper, inch lower, UK and Canadian parts. I picked and chose what I thought were the best options from each country.

Other than that?
    2 AK's, one Bulgarian, one Chinese
    2 AR's one a US S&W M&P 15 and one Korean AR-100
    CLASS3NH, NONAME762 and Aceoky like this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Clean lines? Yehhhhehehesssss.
    image.jpg
    Nmuskier likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Where can I get an M1 Garand?

I have two ARs that I bought, and a Garand that was given to me. For a main battle rifle, hands down I would pick the Garand. The simple reason for me is the downrange thump of a 150 grain class bullet at a nontrivial velocity. If I had the money, I'd have an M1-A1 as well for the advantage of a detachable box magazine.

Simple. First: Semi-automatic action is faster than the lever or bolt actions, and even the raw recruit can make successive shots without lifting his head off the stock to work the action. Second: superior ballistics of the .30-06 to either the .45-70 or the .303 British allow a much higher percentage of effective hits on man-sized targets out to 500 yards.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

For pure fun and nostalgia I would take the M1 Garand or Carbine all day long. I have a fond appreciation for older military guns and appreciate how tough the men were who carried them into combat.

For serious work I choose the AR15. Proven performance and highly customizable. Available in a caliber to make pretty much everyone happy. Available in a configuration to make pretty much everyone happy.

I have no reason to own an AK47. They feel to me like a one-size-fits-all gun, like I am supposed to adapt to it versus adapting it to suit me. While that is changing I won't be buying one anytime soon.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

2 ARs 1 Colt pre-ban and 1 White Oak Armory upper with a Rock River lower. 1 Stoner M4, 2 SA Garands and a 1903 Springfield. I love em all but I like shooting the Garand more than any of them. It feels like a battle rifle but of course I am prejudiced because our basic cycle was among the last to use the M14 for training so I like the feel. I competed in service rifle matches for a couple of years and plan to do so again when I retire. The Garand matches were a hoot. I have fired an AK but never owned one but I prefer the AR. I repeat though, I like them all.
    NONAME762 and Aceoky like this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
    - William Pitt

{NRA Benefactor Member and proud supporter of the 2nd Amendment}

JMB
    I don't consider M16s or Aks battle rifles but assault rifles...so with that, I'll go with the FN FAL.
    CLASS3NH, NONAME762 and 10thmtn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    Where can I get an M1 Garand?
    I bought both of mine through the CMP. They will ship directly to your home if you meet all of their qualifications. They are getting (it seems to me) fewer and fewer of them but they still have sales. All is explained on their web site. You can usually find one at the gun shows but the prices will be somewhat higher. Good luck.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
    - William Pitt

{NRA Benefactor Member and proud supporter of the 2nd Amendment}

I'm the odd ball in the bunch Ruger Mini Thirty. I didn't have the cash for a SOCOM. I started with M1 thumb in high school my first rifle in the Marines was an M14. I subsequently carried the M16 in the Marines and later the National Guard but never learned to love it.
    msgt/ret, Aceoky and fredg53 like this.

I'll go for a 2Fer
    Attached Images
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links