Any reliable reviews on the Ruger Gunsite Scout?

This is a discussion on Any reliable reviews on the Ruger Gunsite Scout? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been really interested in picking up a Ruger Gunsite scout for a while now, but can't seem to find much information on the rifle. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By svgheartland
  • 1 Post By glockcoma

Thread: Any reliable reviews on the Ruger Gunsite Scout?

Sponsor

I've been really interested in picking up a Ruger Gunsite scout for a while now, but can't seem to find much information on the rifle. I've found very few reviews about the rifle, with little testing on its actual accuracy. Much of the information out there seems focused on convincing people of the scout rifle concept, not on reviews of the actual rifle.

What I'm really looking for is a rifle chambered in 308 or 7.62 x 51 with iron sights. This seems almost non existent.

So, any thoughts or info on the Ruger? Any suggestions for other rifles?

Ah, I know many will ask, what will I use it for? Recreational shooting primarily, and I really enjoy shooting irons but am looking for 7.62 x 51 for ammo compatibility reasons.

Thanks,
    Clay

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I am interested too, that rifle is on my short list. A guy at work has one and I am supposedly going to be getting to shoot it soon.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I am interested too, that rifle is on my short list. A guy at work has one and I am supposedly going to be getting to shoot it soon.

Cool, I'd love to hear what you think of it.

go to rugerforum.net there is lots of information on them there..
    NRA Member
    Ruger SR40C
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger American 308
    Ruger 10/22
    Think I have an issue with Ruger!

Distinguished Member
    I have not had the opportunity to shoot one. A colleague has one for sale and talked me out of buying it with the very reason that he's selling; accuracy. Given the shot placement that he described at 50 (I want to remember that he said less than 100) he's either a horrible shooter or there isn't a load that could be worked up to bring it into reasonable accuracy results. I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I could probably borrow this one for the weekend and give it a go myself but I've been distracted by a new shiny object.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member
    Durn it! Now you took my eye off the 44 carbines that I've been looking at. The one in my grasp has 20-30 down the pipe and I can probably get it at 600. Think I need a test drive first.
    glockcoma likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I have a ruger scout. I put a 1-4x optic on mine. I haven't had the chance to shoot it a whole lot. It shoots well and 1" at 100 yards hasn't been a problem. The thing I do not like about the iron sights on it is the front blade is pretty think. If you haven't had the chance to shoulder one and you've shot a mini 14/30 they have the same irons on them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    I've been really interested in picking up a Ruger Gunsite scout for a while now, but can't seem to find much information on the rifle. I've found very few reviews about the rifle, with little testing on its actual accuracy. Much of the information out there seems focused on convincing people of the scout rifle concept, not on reviews of the actual rifle.

What I'm really looking for is a rifle chambered in 308 or 7.62 x 51 with iron sights. This seems almost non existent.

So, any thoughts or info on the Ruger? Any suggestions for other rifles?

Ah, I know many will ask, what will I use it for? Recreational shooting primarily, and I really enjoy shooting irons but am looking for 7.62 x 51 for ammo compatibility reasons.

Thanks,
    Clay
    Do you mean you're looking for a bolt action rifle in those calibers that has iron sights?

Have you looked at the Savage 11/111 Hog Hunter? It's a bolt action .308 and comes with iron sights. I can't say I have any personal experience with either one of them but based on general experience I'd guess that the savage would be as accurate, or better. Different capacity/style with regards to how it carries its rounds so I don't know if that would matter.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I bought one about 18 months ago. I've put about 300 rounds through it so far, and it's had zero issues. The iron sights were dead on right out of the box, grouping about 5" at 100yds. Eventually I added a Burris Scout scope fixed at 2.5x, after a lot of practice I've been able to shoot sub1" groups at 100yds. The rifle came with one steel 10rd magazine, I purchased 3 Ruger 10rd pmags, I had one feeding issue with a plastic mag, but through use, it's never happened again.
    I too have seen all the articles that just talk about how this rifle fits a role, rather than it's actual function. I find it plenty accurate for my skills, and I could no doubt group better if I put on a variable power scope with much higher magnification, but that's not why I bought this rifle, I bought it because of its powerful .308 caliber, and detachable box magazine that holds 10 rounds in a compact size, target acquisition is quick using the scout scope set up, as you're able to sight down the barrel with both eyes open,and its ability to take down any large game in the US, Also, it just looks cool!
    I have enjoyed mine very much, at the range I'm using 147gr PMC Bronze to good success.

I had one for a while. It was accurate enough, and shot well for a short rifle/carbine, but it seemed to me to have a hellatious muzzle blast. I owned a Spanish FR8 at the same time,which I thought shot better than the Ruger.
    Ruger Gunsite Scout.JPG
    FR-8.jpg
    I sold the Ruger to Finance another "scout", a Browning BLR in .223, takedown, that'll be getting the scout mount.
    photo(8).JPG
    IMG_20140505_144543815_HDR.jpg
    photo(10).JPG
    I've got a regular scope on it right now, and it's just a great gun.
    Sent the barrel out and had the muzzle threaded, for a can someday, but for now, just an A2 supressor. At 100 it'll shoot to minute of gopher, good enough for me.

The Ruger is a robust stout gun that is reliable, but I wanted a takedown instead. If you want it, don't hesitate.
    Last edited by glockcoma; May 12th, 2014 at 07:22 AM.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    What are you prepared to do.....

Links